breeding with young rainbowshiners

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi All,
Can I breed already with my young rainbowshiners born last year here in the Netherlands ?. I mean are these fishes already able to do spawn ?. I got 30 of them and they are about 5 cm now.
Pls. your advise,

Thanks,

Casper

#2 Guest_jasonpatterson_*

Guest_jasonpatterson_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi All,
Can I breed already with my young rainbowshiners born last year here in the Netherlands ?. I mean are these fishes already able to do spawn ?. I got 30 of them and they are about 5 cm now.
Pls. your advise,

Thanks,

Casper

I don't have information for rainbow shiners specifically, but most shiners breed at 2-3 years. It's certainly possible they'd spawn, but I wouldn't bet on it.

#3 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hi All,

Nature has given me the answer today. Rising temperatures in my tankshed and long daylight what we have in june, 15 hours I give them at the moment; my rainbows are showing their full breeding colours already and the typical rainbow spawning swimming, I think it depends also on how well fed the fish are when they grow up, and mine are almost spoiled with all sorts of life food from the day they are born , making them developping to maturity more quickly.

Beste groeten, Casper

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

That makes sense; often fry and juveniles grow a lot faster in captivity (with a constant food supply and a gentler environment) than in the wild. Do you have any pictures of your young spawning or in breeding colors? Rainbow shiners are very pretty.

#5 Guest_jasonpatterson_*

Guest_jasonpatterson_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Congratulations, happy to have been wrong! :) Best of luck!

#6 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hi Erica and Jason,

Thanks for your reply,
I will try to make foto's, and post,

Regards,

Casper

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users