variation in pumpkinseed morphology

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

I've been rolling this around in my head for a while, now. I'm from central/northern Maine, and I've fished numerous ponds and lakes in that area. Many of these ponds contain only only one lepomis: good ole gibbosus. In that area, according to my experience and careful observation, they are just a little different. Their ear flaps are soft and lack the typical red/orange tip! I've observed this both in the field with catch-and-releases in every pond I've fished, as well as with a specimen I collected a year ago and have kept in the tank.

The one in the aquarium colored up nicely a month or two ago, and was really striking- but still his operculum remained soft and dark, and never developed the spot. He appears very healthy and well-fed. ALL of the other hallmarks are present, and there is little chance that these are all hybrid or dozens of incorrect ID's (the only other sunfish in the region are red-breasted, and they are easily differentiated).

A year ago I moved an hour or two south, and lately I've been fishing some different spots. These pumpkinseeds seem more usual, with a more rigid and have a striking red tip. Even fish which are much smaller than the one in my tank have the red tip.

Is this weird, or what? I suppose it's like the copperhead bluegills down south- just a little different. Has anyone else noticed morphological variation in pumpkinseeds from different regions? I wonder how common this is. I'd love to hear about and see pictures of regional strains and funky fish.

I'll post a picture of the guy in the tank soon so you can check him out, if you'd like. Unfortunately the camera will not capture the softness and flexibility of the flap- to appreciate that, you really have to observe it closely in motion.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of your expertise.

#2 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

I dont have any real answers for you but, I love your post for several reasons; 1st is that I have the same issue with Longears in Missouri, as far as I know in my area they are all Central Longears, but their seems to be a wide degree of physical variance. 2nd is that Ive seen the same question asked about Green Sunnies and Orangespots and I have been wondering for many months if the Lepomis Genus dosent have many more subspecies than previously believed; Nanfa member Centrarchid has previously posted some very interesting info. on different subspecies of Bluegill that has led me to look at them in a whole new light and if you can get ahold of him he has alot of knowledge on Lepomis sp. 3rd is that Im hoping youll take and post some pictures (and I hope they turn out better than mine) of the one in the tank and the ones in the other area of Maine.

Edited by wargreen, 29 June 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#3 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have noticed a difference in their coloration up here in Canada. I have found some to have more of an orange belly and pectoral fins, where as ones in another body of water have a bright yellow belly and pectoral fins.

some pictures would be great,

I have always wondered if there would be different colors, with all the sepation of lakes you would think there would be some differences. At what point do they become different fish? Is it merely hybridization that causes this?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Sometimes intensity / redness of coloration is a function of diet. If crustaceans like amphipods and isopods well repressented, then fish tend to have more color. Fish that are spawning hard, especially females, tend to be duller as pigment stores in skin are transferred to developing eggs.

Wargreen, you have two distinct types of longear down your way. Bugger to east is a lowland variety like found throughout Mississippi Embayment and into Texas while the other is a central longear that differs from the one I have with orange strip on its nape. The longear in the North Fork White River, those do not sit right with me but not enough info to say what is going on. At one time I though redbreast introduced downstream introgresssed. To me, many many of those fish look redbreastish and do look a bit like longear by redbreast hybrids.

#5 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Sometimes intensity / redness of coloration is a function of diet. If crustaceans like amphipods and isopods well repressented, then fish tend to have more color. Fish that are spawning hard, especially females, tend to be duller as pigment stores in skin are transferred to developing eggs.

Wargreen, you have two distinct types of longear down your way. Bugger to east is a lowland variety like found throughout Mississippi Embayment and into Texas while the other is a central longear that differs from the one I have with orange strip on its nape. The longear in the North Fork White River, those do not sit right with me but not enough info to say what is going on. At one time I though redbreast introduced downstream introgresssed. To me, many many of those fish look redbreastish and do look a bit like longear by redbreast hybrids.

I agree 100% about the Longears on the White river (beautifull fish); I have recieved alot of flack from stating this but if you look at the Longears in some of the creeks draining into Lake springfield they definately also look like natural hybrids, I just dont know if theyre 1st generation (or if theyre can be more than one generation of hybrids) the other Longear I am referring to are the Longears of the Finley river near Ozark and the Longears of the Little Sac river at Little Sac Woods conservation area in Greene county which seem to have a different color pattern to them.

Edited by wargreen, 02 October 2012 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users