Rainbow darters in eastern NY

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mneilson_*

Guest_mneilson_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on the USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database, trying to find and sort out collection records of native and exotic fish transplants. One of the more curious records that I've come across recently is a collection report of Etheostoma caeruleum in Fox Creek (Hudson River drainage) near Schoharie, NY. This is pretty far outside of their normal distribution range.

The report that we have is from back in 2009, but I'm curious what the current status might be. Has anyone been sampling in this region of NY lately and seen any rainbow darters?

Cheers,
-Matt

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on the USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database, trying to find and sort out collection records of native and exotic fish transplants. One of the more curious records that I've come across recently is a collection report of Etheostoma caeruleum in Fox Creek (Hudson River drainage) near Schoharie, NY. This is pretty far outside of their normal distribution range.

The report that we have is from back in 2009, but I'm curious what the current status might be. Has anyone been sampling in this region of NY lately and seen any rainbow darters?

Cheers,
-Matt

hey matt. those rainbows were caught by myself as well as keepnatives (which he then sent in the report you are referring too). they were there last year and in abundance. YOY have been caught as well as adult males and females.. these were caught in more than one spot on fox creek. they are there!

Edited by bumpylemon, 18 August 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Guest_mneilson_*

Guest_mneilson_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

hey matt. those rainbows were caught by myself as well as keepnatives (which he then sent in the report you are referring too). they were there last year and in abundance. YOY have been caught as well as adult males and females.. these were caught in more than one spot on fox creek. they are there!

Thanks for the report and the update, Justin. If you guys find them anywhere outside of Fox Creek, be sure to let us know...it's always interesting to watch how rapidly and widely spread occurs in cases like this.

-M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users