Any one ever kept Lucania parva?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Has anyone ever kept Lucania parva? I'm working up a slideshow for a local club meeting, and I'd like to include some info on this species. I only encountered them once, many years ago, and didn't bring any home. I checked Google and couldn't find any aquarium accounts, even though they're fairly widespread.

Thanks.

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

I kept some about 3 years ago. Caught in a slightly salty neighborhood retention pond in SC. I took home 2 males and about 5 females. They ended up spawning the very next evening in the tank once the lights went out (room lights still on). They were very mild mannered compared to their bluefin killifish cousins. Even though they may appear drab to some, my males looked quite nice in a relatively densely planted tank. What are you wanting to know about them? Mine accepted bloodworms within hours of tank life and began eating flakes soon after. I may have a somewhat decent photo of one on an old computer if you need one for the slideshow or anything. I can't remember how good the quality of the photo is though..

#3 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hey, thanks. That's all very helpful. There really aren't any Web articles about them. When I encountered them about ten years ago, they were really very drab. Did you get any fry? Do you know approximately what temperature they spawned at? A photo would be great if you could find it, but no big deal if you can't find it.

Thanks again.

I kept some about 3 years ago. Caught in a slightly salty neighborhood retention pond in SC. I took home 2 males and about 5 females. They ended up spawning the very next evening in the tank once the lights went out (room lights still on). They were very mild mannered compared to their bluefin killifish cousins. Even though they may appear drab to some, my males looked quite nice in a relatively densely planted tank. What are you wanting to know about them? Mine accepted bloodworms within hours of tank life and began eating flakes soon after. I may have a somewhat decent photo of one on an old computer if you need one for the slideshow or anything. I can't remember how good the quality of the photo is though..

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

i currently have some. caught them in cape cod, mass as well as southern RI. they are great fish! literally can throw them from salt to fresh. real troopers. they do well in groups! just writing this makes me want to get more! now i know what i am doing tomorrow!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users