Went "madtom-ing" today

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

I have been putting together a native aquarium and really want a madtom or two to top it off. I think madtoms are some of the coolest fish around and have caught several before, but just let them go. Anyway now i want to try catching some for real. Today i went to a creek where i saw a madtom once and started trying to catch them. The creek is LOADED with crayfish, from half inch tiny babies to 4 inch beasts i caught them all today. I looked under a bunch of good looking rocks, but couldn't find any madtoms. I searched some prime madtom looking areas, such as little shallow slow flowing pools away from the main creek where i could have sworn there would be one or more but there werent any.I searched for hours. I tried seining in the riffles, but only for about 15 to 25 minutes, because i have never seen madtoms in riffles before, only in cut off pools or small creeks of the main creek. I did however catch some gorgeous and quite large darters seining. That was cool, but not what I was looking for so they got released. Anyway I'll be going back soon and could use a little help. The margined madtom is the most common in this area. Is the water too chilly for them to be shallow and active already in pennsylvania? Should i be searching more riffles? i even searched piles ofcleaves and sticks on the creek floor and was shocked to not find any. Are they scurrying off as soon as i lift a rock and i don't see them because of the dirt cloud? If anyone could give me help to catch and more importantly find these amazing fish i would really appreciate it. Thank you.

#2 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

I too would like a couple of Mad Toms in my tank. If you figure out the strategy and location and get your fill let me know if you have a couple extra (if legal).

Usil

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

I catch (margined) madtoms in fairly swift water most of the time, and have much more success kicking rocks into a dipnet rather than a seine. They are quick to dart forward out of the net as soon as they feel it so seines are too slow to be really optimal (at least while solo collecting). Another sometimes productive method is to grab an aquarium net and find water flowing well, but not too fast to clearly see the bottom. Lift rocks and keep and eye out for them. Sometimes they go into the net but often they sit still and you can corral them. If you miss them, they usually only dart a foot or two to the next rock crevice and can easily be followed.

#4 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

I've caught them in the Delaware up above and below Lambertville. I've only caught a couple so far but they were in slack water but next to fast water. The last time I was out I caught and kept 1 and lost a couple more looking under rocks in fairly quiet water. If it was warm enough I'd say meet me on the river and we'd catch but there's definitely a chill on the air that will make wading without waders no fun and until I drop some weight my waders a bit tight on me. If you want some detailed directions to what I would consider prime Madtom water send me a PM and I'll tell you where to go. Now if you want to settle for Tadpole Madtoms I have a small stream by me that I've caught them in and I can drop a trap in if you want.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

I caught margined madtoms in the Neversink River in southern NY with a one man siene. the water was waste deep and verrrrrry fast. thats where i also caught shield darters. here at home I catch tadpole madtoms in a pond mixed with leaves and mud. Good luck!

Edited by bumpylemon, 05 October 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#6 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Success! i just came back with a beautiful tadpole madtom. I was so excited to get one, it took me about 3 to 4 hours combined, but it was at the same spot as yesterday. There was a mud bank with a deeply undercut shoreline and i dipped my net as far back as i could and i pulled him out. I will post pictures later, thank you everyone for all of your help! oh and a question- in my tank i placed a small empty pot and a rock from his stream that is caved so he can hide in it, but he hasn't yet found them and hes just swimming around. I think he would be happier if he found them. do i have to guide him in, or will he find it himself?

Edited by madtom123, 05 October 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#7 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

I have found that new fish introduced into an aquarium can take a few hours to a day to sort out their environment. First there can be shock reactions (sometimes but not always), finding boundaries, hitting glass, etc... then there is a settling down period and after a day or two feeding instincts kick it. After that, especialy when feeding is stimulated the aquarium becomes home and your face and hand holding the food container become the 'FOOD GIVER'. Sometime during all this they will find a place to call home. Just give him some time - and provide a place to hide and get away from other fish if he wants.

Not sure if they come to the top for food and if they have to compete with other top feeding fish he may need special attention to ensure he gets his needs taken care of at his level on the bottom.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 05 October 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#8 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

I have found that new fish introduced into an aquarium can take a few hours to a day to sort out their environment. First there can be shock reactions (sometimes but not always), finding boundaries, hitting glass, etc... then there is a settling down period and after a day or two feeding instincts kick it. After that, especialy when feeding is stimulated the aquarium becomes home and your face and hand holding the food container become the 'FOOD GIVER'. Sometime during all this they will find a place to call home. Just give him some time - and provide a place to hide and get away from other fish if he wants.

Not sure if they come to the top for food and if they have to compete with other top feeding fish he may need special attention to ensure he gets his needs taken care of at his level on the bottom.

Usil

thanks he has started to settle into that rock cave very nicely. as soon as the lights are off he explores.

#9 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

I'm glad to hear it's adjusting. I was just going to add that for nocturnal fish it might be a good idea to leave the lights dim for the first couple hours or day that they're in their first tank. Light can shock a fish used to living in shadow as much as the different water parameters could, and shock can kill.

Also make sure to drip acclimate fish whenever you move them.

Drip acclimation:

The slower you adjust them, the better the adjustment goes. I once drip acclimated neon tetras from pH 7 DH 6 ish water to pH 7.5 DH 16-20 water, and didn't lose a single one. It took three or four hours, but it worked.

Edited by EricaWieser, 06 October 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#10 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thank you. Very helpful information. But nowi have a new issue. One of the two small crayfish, probably each about an inch long has occupied my madtoms rock cave and pinches his mouth every time my madtom tries to enter. I think he might have cut him too. I dont know what to do because my madtom is pacing around trying to squeeze himself into other crevices that are too small. The real cave is where he likes to be and now its occupies by another.....what should i do? Remove the crayfish?

#11 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

... I dont know what to do because my madtom is pacing around trying to squeeze himself into other crevices that are too small. The real cave is where he likes to be and now its occupies by another.....what should i do? ...

Add more caves. You should always have at least as many caves as cave dwellers.Conveniently, I posted just today about caves in another topic.

Five cave ideas
1. Slate cave: http://www.plantgeek...viewer.php?id=6
2. Coconut cave: http://www.fishforum...t-cave-diy.html
3. PVC coated with rocks: http://aquarium.shur...Cave Page 2.htm
4. Party cup caves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO64JqhjRE
5. Terra cotta cave: http://www.cichlidex...stlenose-caves/

Edited by EricaWieser, 06 October 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#12 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Add more caves. You should always have at least as many caves as cave dwellers.Conveniently, I posted just today about caves in another topic.

perfect those ideas look great. I'll make some more, although the madtom has now re entered the cave while the cray was out searching for food and now defends it when the cray triesmto enter. Ill add more caves though just to suffice all.

#13 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

here he is in his newly re-claimed cave. Sorry about the bad picture quality..... you probably can't id him. I guess tadpole madtom though

Attached Images

• madtom123.jpg

#14 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

Heres a better pic. can anyone I.D or confirm this madtom for me? It is a madtom right?

#15 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

here it is sorry about that last post.

Attached Images

• madtom.jpg

#16 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

here it is sorry about that last post.

Looks like a baby bullhead. A madtom would have an adipose fin that runs into the caudal fin with just a little dip between the 2. Do a quick search for tadpole madtom photos.

Edited by keepnatives, 06 October 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#17 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

uh oh....... i did some searching. i see the adipose fin......is this a bullhead?

#18 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Looks like it. Definitely not a madtom. Hopefully it's one of the smaller species. Bullheads are just as cool to keep, but it will eventually eat that crayfish!

#19 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

Looks like it. Definitely not a madtom. Hopefully it's one of the smaller species. Bullheads are just as cool to keep, but it will eventually eat that crayfish!

Sweet revenge for that pinch on the lip.

#20 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

Further research reveals identity. Baby yellow bullhead.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users