Went "madtom-ing" today

24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_catherinecarney_*

Guest_catherinecarney_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hi all--

The Greater Cinci Killifish Assn collected brindled madtoms just west of Cincinnati next to the Indiana border on Sept 11. We found them in shallow riffles and were most successful collecting them with dipnets as we kicked or lifted rocks. We should have a collecting report posted on the club's website, or contact the people listed on our site for more info.

One reminder for all who are new to these fish: yes, they make great aquarium pets, but please handle with care--they have venomous pectoral spines, and getting stuck by one is about like a bad wasp sting.

#22 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Further research reveals identity. Baby yellow bullhead.

Well, congratulations on your yellow bullhead. I know they're supposed to be able to get up to 19", but I'd think that would have to be very rare. I've never caught a bullhead even close to that size. I've caught quite a few of them and most have been 12"-13" or less. I've never kept one as a pet, but I have considered it, as I've always liked them. At least with him being small right now you've got a chance to grow some other fish with him that will grow too big to fit in his mouth, assuming you've got tank space. Again, congratulations, I think you'll enjoy him. Good luck.

Steve.

#23 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

A reminder: If you don't like your yellow bullhead, don't release him back into the wild. Either kill him or sell him at a local fish club or on aquabid.com. Releasing fish back into the wild is often illegal, and can also introduce pathogens into your local waters. You can't see what bacteria and viruses are in your tank. They're invisible to your eyes. So always act as if they're there, and never release a fish back into the wild.

Edited by EricaWieser, 07 October 2011 - 09:15 AM.

#24 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Here is my non scientific way of telling catfish apart at a glance

Forked tail=Channel Catfish

Square tail=Bullhead

Round tail= Madtom

With Bullheads you may have to stretch the tail out to confirm the id since they do look rounded at times. I've kept bullheads before and they are fun but your little crayfish will disappear as soon as your catfish can fit it in its mouth. Being a crayfish keeper for the most part I have to avoid keeping fish that will eat them.

#25 Guest_madtom123_*

Guest_madtom123_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I plan to keep him. I got him some sinking shrimp pellets today.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users