Tail wagging the gravel

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

My dominant Longear is sometimes seen standing on it's tail and wagging a depression into the center of the tank in the gravel. I have smoothed it over during cleaning but he recreates the depression after. There are no females in the tank so why would he be doing this?

Usil

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Trying to attract a female?

#3 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

There are no females in the tank.

Usil

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Sunfish logic: If you build it, they will come.

There are no females in the tank.

Usil

#5 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

I guess. Wishful thinking.

Usil

#6 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Aw that's so cute :)

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I did read your first post, Usil :)

No need to attract one if she's already there. Being without one, it makes sense to get set up to lure in the first one that happens by.

I very much doubt that there is an instinctive ability for a fish to grasp the idea that the tank is all there is - there's always upstream, downstream, and whatever floodwaters bring in.

#8 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

My dominant Longear is sometimes seen standing on it's tail and wagging a depression into the center of the tank in the gravel. I have smoothed it over during cleaning but he recreates the depression after. There are no females in the tank so why would he be doing this?

Usil

My longear male built nests all summer. He only stopped about a month ago. I'm not sure if his timing was coinciding with fall or if it's because I added so many plants to the tank that there isn't a large enough clear area for him to feel comfortable building a nest. I suspect the lack of space more than the timing. Interestingly though, I have noticed that his appetite has picked up some since he stopped.

Here's a link to a similar discussion where our member Centrarchid explains the necessary conditions for a male to build nests in post #5:
http://forum.nanfa.o...-nest-building/

Steve

#9 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

I had not read that thread. Good information. My tank is near a north facing window and gets morning light. I did add the high power LED light a few weeks ago. He did not start clearing a spot until recently as he had not demonstrated that behavior earlier so maybe this is light related. If there were females in the tank would he breed this late in the year or is he screwed up because his water is still around 76?

gzeiger - I am not so sure. He knows every fish in the tank and has a dominant response slightly different to each and I think he knows the limits of his environment. But I could be wrong. Posted Image

Usil

Edited by Usil, 12 November 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#10 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

I had not read that thread. Good information. My tank is near a north facing window and gets morning light. I did add the high power LED light a few weeks ago. He did not start clearing a spot until recently as he had not demonstrated that behavior earlier so maybe this is light related. If there were females in the tank would he breed this late in the year or is he screwed up because his water is still around 76?

gzeiger - I am not so sure. He knows every fish in the tank and has a dominant response slightly different to each and I think he knows the limits of his environment. But I could be wrong. Posted Image

Usil

If there was a ripe female, he'd take care of her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users