My Blackbanded Sunfish caught in the act...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Is this length of parental care in days after hatching? or from time of eggs being deposited?

#22 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

I think it would be total length, starting after depositing by female. However, we can find out. To get more precision, I would think that measuring in hours would be the way to go.

Very nice pics. Where were the intial specimens collected?

#23 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

I don't think I believe that chart either way, if it is from time of eggs being laid or once they hatch. Eggs of any of the Lepomis I have raised take 4-7 days to hatch and then the male guards the fry vigorously for at least another 4 or 5 days. Also largemouth bass guard their young for a week or more even after they leave the nest, 4 days doesn't make any sense at all, more like 2-3 weeks from the time eggs are laid. The Blackbandeds hatched in 2 days and the eggs I did not pull from the tank hatched also and the male guarded them for another 6-7 days before the other adults in the tank began to pick them off.

I would have to ask the person I got the original fish from where they were from I don't actually know.

#24 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

Notice the x-axis is transformed as the natural log (ln) of days. So that would explain the differences you point out. For example, ln (21) = 3.04

#25 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

ok that makes sense then I know what a natural log is I just didn't look at it that closely. Thanks for showing me my mistake, and yes it does then fit much better.

#26 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

Wow... that fish is VERY colorful for only being a black and white fish :) . Could I ask where you live and how you caught them?

#27 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

It says right to the left of every post I make that I am located in Bowling Green Ohio, I did not catch the fish I got the original adults from another member on the forum. Blackbandeds are a south eastern species, not found anywhere near where I live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users