new fish not sure about

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

so i got feeder fish for my turtle and noticed there was a different looking fish in the bag so i wasnt sure so i asked and found out it was pygmy sunfish
im not new to fish keeping but this is a fish ive never took care off so im looking for advice :D

Attached File  get-attachment.aspx.jpg   37.7KB   11 downloads

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

Are you sure it's a pygmy sunfish, something looks a bit off about the spiny dorsal fins length. It could be a very small normal sunfish.

#3 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Personally in my opinion I don't think it is I think it's just a regular sized sunfish cus of how the dorsal fin is
But idk it's really sick from the ammonia produced by the gold fish it was with

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

It's a juvenile Lepomis, probably a bluegill or green (I'm sure Martin will agree with me about the green ID).

#5 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

That's what I was thinking it was cus I started looking at pictures last night of Pygmy sunfish and regular sunfish and bluegill and I'm leaning more torwards bluegill

#6 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

I caught quite a few baby bluegills this summer and they looked like that.

Usil

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

I agree with the above posters that it is not a pygmy sunfish.

What are you feeding it? If you want it to stay alive and it refuses to eat fish flakes or pellets, you can try the following foods.

1. Thawed frozen blood worms (most pet stores nowadays have them for about $5 for 30 blocks)
2. Live brine shrimp or glass shrimp (pet stores, a dollar a bag)
3. Freeze dried brine, gammarus or other shrimps (pet stores, four dollars a jar)
4. Chopped up earthworms from a local bait or gardening shop
5. If all else fails, your grocery store should carry bags of unbreaded cocktail shrimp for about five to ten bucks. If you dice them up into super small pieces, the baby sunfish will probably eat them.

Sunfish are carnivorous, so you'll want to tempt it with pieces of meat and worms. It will grow large enough to eat smaller fish, so don't keep it in the same aquarium as any fish that you would be sad if it ate. As it ages we should be more certain with the species ID, which will tell you how large it will grow and what other fish it can eat.

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 January 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#8 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Alright cool thanks for the info, I've been fishing my whole life and my grandpa knows a whole bout fish and know that their carnivores...so I've been feeding it the dried blood worms for now that i feed my tropical fish until I get to the bait shop or pet shop and he's been eating it in little amounts but it's been eating, it was in a tank of feeder gold fish so the ammonia irritated his gills and scales but I got him in a quarantine tank on my room and been keeping an eye on him and it's doing great now

#9 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Alright cool thanks for the info, I've been fishing my whole life and my grandpa knows a whole bout fish and know that their carnivores...so I've been feeding it the dried blood worms for now that i feed my tropical fish until I get to the bait shop or pet shop and he's been eating it in little amounts but it's been eating, it was in a tank of feeder gold fish so the ammonia irritated his gills and scales but I got him in a quarantine tank on my room and been keeping an eye on him and it's doing great now

i captured 2 fish that look just like that in withlacoochee river in fl. the bands make me think they are banded sunfish,Enneacanthus, obesus, mine seem to be doing fine and take flakes, pellets, dried shrimp, i also have what i believe is a bluegill which is much plainer, and too agressive for my tank, but i'm having trouble catching him ,hope your fish recovers well

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

Don - check the shape of the tail fin: Lepomis sunfishes have an emarginate (slightly concave) tail; Enneacanthus has a rounded, slightly convex tail. Crazy -- yours is definitely a Lepomis, and most likely a green sunfish -- very common in feeder fish shipments.

#11 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

ya their carnivores so i cant keep him in with my tropical fish so i have him in a 5 gallon bucket and is giving him medicine because of the ammonia, he is doing a lot better and has personality he likes showing off to me and sit at the top of the water for food. he doesnt like the fish flakes but he loves dried blood worms and during the summer ill be moving him to our old pond outside and inside hopefully in a 20g during the winter if i successfully introduce my turtle back into the wild

#12 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Please don't do that. Turtles can pick up diseases from contact with people that can be devastating to wild populations.

#13 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

O ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users