2012 NANFA Convention in Ohio

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

On the subject of a husbandry talk at the Kentucky convention, I could tell all about how I do things, but there are a lot of approaches that people use. Maybe it would be better to have a panel of three or four experienced people who would take maybe 7 minutes each describing their experiences and techniques for keeping fish alive and well, while traveling, collecting and convening. Then have a longer Q&A discussion and info sharing with the whole room to get the full range of ideas and allow lots of questions to be asked and answered. I have never used filters in my transport containers. I always change out water with the cleanest I can get as soon as possible. I know that others prefer to keep as much "natural" water as possible from the stream where the fish were collected. I usually use treated tap water and do water changes at least daily. So there are different approaches to this problem, and anything that is successful is equally worthy of presentation to benefit our fellow fish keepers. But in answer to the question, yes, I'm willing to work on a presentation for next year and also willing to allow other knowledgeable members to join in or take it on with or without me. I'd like to hear whether most of us think that this is already common knowledge stuff or whether you would want to get some input and tips about how to keep your catch alive while traveling.

#82 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

On the subject of a husbandry talk at the Kentucky convention, I could tell all about how I do things, but there are a lot of approaches that people use. Maybe it would be better to have a panel of three or four experienced people who would take maybe 7 minutes each describing their experiences and techniques for keeping fish alive and well, while traveling, collecting and convening. Then have a longer Q&A discussion and info sharing with the whole room to get the full range of ideas and allow lots of questions to be asked and answered.

A talk like this would be most useful to relatively new people ... who won't have much of a chance to DO any of the suggestions themselves if they first hear them at the Friday sessions.

It would be better to have a focused on-line discussion 3-4 weeks ahead of the KY convention. And/or point people to the best parts of what's already been posted in the collecting-related sections.

#83 Guest_gunner48_*

Guest_gunner48_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

I had a great time on Sunday. Because of work I could not make it to the Convention till Sunday. I went with Brian's group and we had a great day. He brought a lot of knowledge and patience and despite having a large posse of cars, nobody got lost. We saw some fantastic sites with great fish and It was just a great day for seeing some pretty parts of Ohio and seining some very healthy streams.

I got all my fish home alive, except for two jumpers when I did not put the lid on correctly. I used a portable areator called Fish Saver, You can get them at Dicks, Cabelas, and Bass Pro Shops. Cost 28 bucks. It is a very powerful water pump that hooks up to 12 volt battery. The pump has suction cups on the bottom that hold it very well to a bottom of a tub or cooler and the water pumps up to a spray bar that extends above the surface of the water. Despite muddy water it pumps very well and I did not have any clogs, the battery life is well over seven hours. To save the battery I would disconnect the pump when parked in the shade but I would hook it up for a longer drive. I did do partial water changes at every stop. With the right hose connections the pump can be used to empty a tub quickly so that water can be added. The flow and areation is quite a bit more powerful than air pumps and stones and with the water pumping down on to the surface the fish do not get knocked around. Considering the other costs of the trip the pump and battery was a sound investment in bringing them back alive.

Anybody that saw my little plastic fish box with the lid can order those from the Container Store. I have it posted on the forum under the question about the photography tank with the item number and what it looks like. Cost four bucks.

Again my Thanks to everybody that worked on the Convention it was a great event.
Patrick

#84 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

A talk like this would be most useful to relatively new people ... who won't have much of a chance to DO any of the suggestions themselves if they first hear them at the Friday sessions.

It would be better to have a focused on-line discussion 3-4 weeks ahead of the KY convention. And/or point people to the best parts of what's already been posted in the collecting-related sections.

You have a great point here, and I will start a topic about this prior to the Kentucky convention. Not only dealing with keeping fish alive, but also about what else to bring. I did witness several ill equipped individuals at the Ohio convention, obviously fairly new attendees, but those are the people that we need to nurture, and lend our support. I do certainly think that a presentation like Mark Binkley outlined would be great as well.

On side note, I am very appreciative of Todd Crail's jumping in on my trip. He was very helpful with fish ID, and is much more familiar with central Ohio waters than I. Also special thanks to Marc Kibbey, Who was also on both our Saturday, and Sunday trips. Marc has gained many useful ID characteristics from his years of "looking at dead fish in jars" Things that many of us do not notice. I learned a lot from Marc, and Todd, and really appreciated both of their help. Thanks guys!

#85 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Let's put together a "Safe Traveling with Fish" handout that we can email to conference attendees when they register, and also have paper copies at the convention. As a starting point, here's a handout I wrote last year for an NCSU Vet School "Traveling with Pets" education project. It's mainly focused on fish already living in aquaria, rather than newly caught wild fish, but we can adapt it as needed.

Attached Files

#86 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Nice Gerald! We are heading in the right direction.

#87 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

That's great Gerald.

#88 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just writing to tell you I made it home fine, all my fish survived. (I may have to do a water change in a couple days once they acclimate as none of them touched the week long feeder tabs, odd as when I went on vacation in the spring they ate them). Water changes, filters, gravel, and fake plants seemed to work (though I did have to dig a couple darters out of the gravel when I got home,t hey were both alive and seemed fine). I am uploading pics from my camera to my computer now. I have alot of pics of, well, everything that was their. I have thirty pics of deer alone.

#89 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

I like Gerald's idea, too.

My fish did pretty well, I lost 4 of the more delicate shiners and one of my dace, probably one of the ones that jumped out and had to be caught and put back in the cooler. I felt like I squished one of them catching it. I tried to limit the number of fish I kept, but we saw so many different species that I still ended up keeping a lot of fish! I'm going to enjoy watching them.

#90 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

a few questions on vacation pics.

1. their is a folder in the old albums called convention pics with no way to open it. how do I post them their.

2. anywhere I can send the pics so american currents can use them?

3. do you just want fish pics, or do you also want pics of the lodge and various plants and animals seen on the trip

#91 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

1. I would suggest just starting your own convention pics folder for now.

2. Just post your photos. The editors of AC frequent the forums and if they see a pic they would like to use, they will contact you.

3. Post anything that is of interest. We have a wide range of interests here so you determine what is appropriate. I think folks would like to see some pics of the lodge, plants and other wildlife but don't go crazy. Just post the highlights and only pics that are of a good quality so as not to waste space.

#92 Guest_Guba_*

Guest_Guba_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi everyone, enjoyed the convention too! I had a moment of panic when I took an unexpected swim in the Killbuck marsh, LOL. But it went away after I realized that the Creature from the Black Lagoon is only native to South America. I only had 1 fatality when I got home, which was good considering the crowding I did in the buckets. Today i lost 2 more due to infections. The rest of the fish look healthy though. Thanks go out to the people who put this all together. All the talks were intresting, but I especially loved the talk on "Crayfish Diversity". I'm a huge invert fan...

#93 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'm a huge invert fan...

I love the inverts too! I was on the Killbuck trip, too. The little crayfish I took home from the last site molted last night.

I'm going to dose all my new fish with Maroxy, that helps with fungus brought on by the stress of being collected.

#94 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Just uploaded pics of fish, places, animals, and plants from the trip to an ohio folder here http://gallery.nanfa...irstChAoS/Ohio/

#95 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hey Number 1 Chaos... Thanks for sharing your pics. I like that big tank and can see Bob Muller in a couple reflections and a few mystery attendees. How many fishy folks showed up? If i was there i would have been alongside the Blue Sucker, at least until the authorities netted me out. That is a cool fish. And i reconize the Flathead. Nice to see the Quillback and Buffalo too. Did anyone fall off the shocker boat?
The lodging looks nice, Salt Fork. Did anyone snorkel the lake? I remember seeing freshwater jellies at Hocking Hills, but it is probably to late in the year being September. Lakes are kinda boring but if they are clear can be entertaining along the banks and wood jams.
How was the banquet? Did anyone have any unique Ohio culinary fare? Can they do BBQ that far north?
:)
Some folks eat woodchucks... did you get close enough to consider it?
:)
I hope to see some people shots too. I miss seeing NANFans beyond my little part of the world.
Thanks for posting Joshua.
Good to see the gallery being utilized!

#96 Guest_Guba_*

Guest_Guba_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

I love the inverts too! I was on the Killbuck trip, too. The little crayfish I took home from the last site molted last night.

I didn't know you were such a fan! I have 2 crayfish from the last site and I almost had a third. I haven't identified the species, but I haven't kept this one yet.

One of the mystery poeple in the photo reflections looks like Ken McGill.

#97 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Nice pictures firstchaos! Glad to see some of what I missed. I did want to mention that I'm pretty sure that of the fish in the photo tank/specimen container, your white sucker is actually a northern hogsucker, and your johnny darter is a greenside darter.

#98 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

I didn't know you were such a fan! I have 2 crayfish from the last site and I almost had a third. I haven't identified the species, but I haven't kept this one yet.

If you figure out the species, let me know, please!

And Casper, we saw a couple of baby flatheads on the canoe trip. They were only a couple of inches long, and very cute. Also, I've eaten woodchuck and I don't recommend it.

#99 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thank you very much Kanus, I fixed the ID's.

What told you the darter was a greenside? The other greensides I saw had sort of dusky sides, and between that and the fact it looked more like a tessy than the other darters I saw, and the V shaped marks on the side (I heard the boleostoma subgenus of etheostoma is sort of known for V, W, and X markings) I assumed Johnny.

#100 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

What told you the darter was a greenside? The other greensides I saw had sort of dusky sides, and between that and the fact it looked more like a tessy than the other darters I saw, and the V shaped marks on the side (I heard the boleostoma subgenus of etheostoma is sort of known for V, W, and X markings) I assumed Johnny.

If you had a johnny, it would be nearly indistinguishable from the tesselated you have back home. You are correct on the V, W, X character of the johnnies and tessies, but the uncolored greensides have more of a U shape pattern. I know this is trivial but it is different. The head shape is also different. The greensides in your photos are pretty consistent with all of the other greensides we saw that Saturday so I think maybe what you were thinking were greensides might have been something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users