update on my sunfish

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

about a month ago i decided to keep a sunfish that i got when i went to go get feeder fish for my turtle which i no longer have, i thought i would post pictures of his progress so far

right now its still cold out so i threw him in with my 15 gallon with and decided to start a sorority tank of bettas so he is happily livin in my 15 gallon with the 4 bettas i got
being aggressive he has kept the aggression between my females down A LOT, he is really social now and comes to the front of the tank when i get the camera out and shoos every one away so he can get his picture taken :happy:

i know he will soon out grow the 15 gallon and will eat my bettas so i already have a back up plan, im breaking the old pond out of retirement and putting him in there

Champ before
Posted Image

Champ after
Posted Image
Posted Image

Champ and Luna
Posted Image

Edited by crazyboutfish77, 05 February 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Champ and Luna
Posted Image

Lol, you have a ten cent killer sunfish in with your $20 and up champion female betta. And it's working. I love it. :D

#3 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

lol i know i love it 2, he did not like it at first but he kinda was out numbered so he just gave it up, i think its funny when i see my females start to get in a fight he will come over and kinda patrol it and if it gets to serious it looks like he breaks it up

and by the way i paid $3 for my bettas at petsmart

Edited by crazyboutfish77, 05 February 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

and by the way i paid $3 for my bettas at petsmart

Really? Wow, they've really upped the quality of their female bettas since the last time I was there. Used to be you could only find them in black-blue or gray-red. Cool.

Edit: Do be careful though. His mouth is a lot bigger in relation to his body size than the bettas' are. You could try to feed him wax worms (the ones with the large diameter you can buy at bait stores) once a week to test what he can swallow. Otherwise your first sign that he's too large is going to be a missing female betta.

Edited by EricaWieser, 05 February 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#5 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

they have the typical bettas but ive seen that have different colors to them
and ya i know i have been watching them really close, ive been feeding him freeze dried blood worms for right now i havent gotten around to ordering worms from my grandpa yet being the winter and all

Edited by crazyboutfish77, 05 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

ya i know i have been watching them really close...

Aquarist: How many fish do you think I can keep in my green sunfish tank?
Highlander: There can be only one
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Aquarist: How many fish do you think I can keep in my green sunfish tank?
Highlander: There can be only one

ok? what you saying

this is only temporary,

#8 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

......, he is really social now and comes to the front of the tank when i get the camera out and shoos every one away so he can get his picture taken :happy:
i know he will soon out grow the 15 gallon and will eat my bettas so i already have a back up plan, im breaking the old pond out of retirement and putting him in there

I'm guessing you're gonna miss having him inside with you when you take him outside to the pond.
Definitely a cute little feller.

Good luck with him and thanks for sharing the photos and update.

Steve.

#9 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

thanks!
he is a cute little booger and i will defiantly miss him when he moves outside, and i think he will probably miss the company in his tank as well

#10 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

Could be a good excuse for another tank set up. I've set up new tanks for weaker reasons. You should have enough time to get a new set up cycled for him before he gets big enough to be a threat to the bettas. Just an idea. Keeping native fish is definitely a fascinating hobby.

Steve.

#11 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

i already have 3 tanks set up in my room, i dont think my parents will let me have any more until i get my own place which i gotta wait until after the summer
i like keeping native fish better than i like keeping tropical freshwater fish

#12 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

I understand. I've got 6 tanks in the living room(including 1 for the toad), 1 in my bedroom and 1 in my daughter's room - and - I just got a possible lead on a 125 gallon tank for a real reasonable price. My wife is very understanding, but I'm not sure how far I should go with this sometimes, and I'm also truly getting limited on space.

Steve.

#13 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Multiple tank syndrome!
Terminal disease of fishkeepers. We all get it sooner or later :D

#14 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Lol I know my parents were joking around with me bout it the other night my dad walked by my room and was like "dang hannah it's like you have your own water fall in there"

But their very understanding, cus it's rather addicting

#15 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Multiple tank syndrome!
Terminal disease of fishkeepers. We all get it sooner or later :D

It knows no boundaries of age, race or gender and can only be slowed by depletion of the aquarist's time and space.

#16 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

What I noticed bout my sunfish being in with my Bettas is that he has picked up on some of their habbits
One of them being, when they flare their gills at him he sits there for a few seconds and then do it back like o ya I can do that to, idk if this is normal behavior, if so Ive never seen this before
But it's pretty funny

Edited by crazyboutfish77, 06 February 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#17 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

What I noticed bout my sunfish being in with my Bettas is that he has picked up on some of their habbits
One of them being, when they flare their gills at him he sits there for a few seconds and then do it back like o ya I can do that to, idk if this is normal behavior, if so Ive never seen this before
But it's pretty funny

I lol'd :)

Video?

Edited by EricaWieser, 06 February 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#18 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

i dont have a video of him flaring cus its out of the blue and he does it real fast but ill put one up of him interacting with them

i gotta be sneaky bout it cus if he sees the camera he will sit and stare at me and wont show off like my bettas do :dry: :D

Edited by crazyboutfish77, 07 February 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#19 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

But it's pretty funny

Odd, I was reading about pumpkinseeds on wikipedia last night and the article stated sunfish do flare their gills at potential threats to make themselves seem bigger. So gill flaring is a normal sunfish behavior.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 07 February 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#20 Guest_crazyboutfish77_*

Guest_crazyboutfish77_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Odd, I was reading about pumpkinseeds on wikipedia last night and the article stated sunfish do flare their gills at potential threats to make themselves seem bigger. So gill flaring is a normal sunfish behavior.

i kinda figured it would be but i wasnt sure bout it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users