Photo

2008 NANFA Convention to be in Athens, Texas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#21 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Wow... today being the end of January, September is a long wayz away!
I already have too many plans for this season but am still trapped in the cold for now.
Just a bit of winter blues dreaming today... i know Texas offers us who have attended past conventions a unique region to experience this year. I have been to the Texas Fisheries and can vouch for its experience. I'm looking forward to the field trips and tho i will not see the diversity my Southeast offers i will see plenty of unique critters that i dont encounter on my typical wanders. Alligator Lizards, Blood squirtin Horny Toads? Plus the route i take to and from will offer other delicacies beyond my normal fare.
What is our hosts name? I know he has spoken at 2 of our conventions and is enthusiastic and skilled at what he is offering. I expect we will be treated wonderfully. Its also located in more of a Texas rural setting so will offer some real culture outside of the big cities i tend to shy from. I think i heard the lodging is unique to as opposed to a motel room. Did i hear cabins?
I think it would be good to post some of the activities and speakers our host is looking at to get us motivated to mark our new 08 calenders. If someone sends me his email i will touch base with him.

My February calender features a view of Dominica... i sure would like to be there now.
:)

Casper
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#22 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Casper, the 2008 convention host is Wayne Heaton. I suspect they'd be happy to show you all the fun local herps you can stand.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#23 netmaker

netmaker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

Any registration fee?

Directions from Houston or Lake Charles?

What's on the agenda? discussions, meetings, seminars, "show and tell", etc ???

Contact phone number, e-mail???

thank you,

netmaker

#24 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

nm,

The details are still being ironed out and will be available shortly.

Check here for previous convention information. It is different every year but you can get an idea of what goes on.

As information is made available, it will be posted here so stay tuned.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#25 VicC

VicC
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

Wow... today being the end of January, September is a long wayz away!
I already have too many plans for this season but am still trapped in the cold for now.
Just a bit of winter blues dreaming today... i know Texas offers us who have attended past conventions a unique region to experience this year. I have been to the Texas Fisheries and can vouch for its experience. I'm looking forward to the field trips and tho i will not see the diversity my Southeast offers i will see plenty of unique critters that i dont encounter on my typical wanders. Alligator Lizards, Blood squirtin Horny Toads? Plus the route i take to and from will offer other delicacies beyond my normal fare.
What is our hosts name? I know he has spoken at 2 of our conventions and is enthusiastic and skilled at what he is offering. I expect we will be treated wonderfully. Its also located in more of a Texas rural setting so will offer some real culture outside of the big cities i tend to shy from. I think i heard the lodging is unique to as opposed to a motel room. Did i hear cabins?
I think it would be good to post some of the activities and speakers our host is looking at to get us motivated to mark our new 08 calenders. If someone sends me his email i will touch base with him.

My February calender features a view of Dominica... i sure would like to be there now.
:)

Casper

Spring must already be coming to Texas. Irate says "Sidebar: The goldfinches are really coloring up now. There must be 50 or more at my thistle feeders this morning. I'm watching them out the window."

The fish won't wait for us.
There are no stupid questions only stupid people.

#26 pmk00001

pmk00001
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

If anyone is interested in doing a little unusual fishing in that area there are some MONSTER smallmouth Buffalo in Athens. Not a ton of them but the ones that get banked are usually huge. The lake record is 82lbs+
Patrick Kerwin
Alexandria, VA

#27 rjmtx

rjmtx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

Are Guadalupe Bass anywhere in the area?

No. Too far northeast. You can catch plenty of spotteds and pretend they're Guadalupes, though. Come down to my neck of the woods, about 4 hours away, and they're thick. I'm glad I caught this; it's close enough for me to get there with no problem.
Robby Maxwell

#28 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

From Wayne Heaton :

Okay ya'll,

We are starting to get everything underway. Just wanted to let
ya'll in on some insider info, and get some feedback from everyone
(since it is ya'lls convention). Well we are starting to plan some field
trips, but as you know Texas is a big state. So we are trying to stick
with areas with in a hour or two of Athens. But if anyone has a
preference within that or even a little longer please feel free to send
me an email and let me know.

Also starting to work on a T-shirt for the conference. I have a
few ideas in mind, and Casper is mentoring me with advice. But would
like to hear from ya'll. Let me know some of your favorite fish in
Texas, game fish included, that you might want to see on the shirt.

Finally, this is not a call for presentations, but thought I
would plant the seed. So if you know of anyone who has something
interesting to present please let me know. I am going to try to focus
on more aquarium based research and papers, but this is not exclusively
what they necessarily will all be about.

I would appreciate any and all feedback from ya'll, so that I
can make this conference a worth wild event.

Wayne Heaton
Exhibits Curator
Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center
Texas Parks and Wildlife
Phone: 903-670-2239
Wayne.heaton@tpwd.state.tx.us
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#29 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

I think the shirt should have some texas endemics, I'm not sure what all those might be other than Texas Logperch and Gaudelupe Bass but thats a start. Maybe those two and a colorful shiner or smaller darter so you get a range of species...

Field trips... I really enjoyed the large group trips at the MO convention and how they were vastly different habitats for each trip. I especially enjoyed the float trip on the Black River, as a group we caught 50+ species that day! that was unbeleivable. So a high diversity decent sized river that the whole group could enjoy would be nice. I know it's a stretch but I am a sunfish fanatic so are there any introduced Gaudelupe Bass populations within a reasonable distance? if not I may have to stay a day or two extra because who knows when I'd ever get back to Texas.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#30 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

I think the shirt should have some texas endemics, I'm not sure what all those might be other than Texas Logperch and Gaudelupe Bass but thats a start. Maybe those two and a colorful shiner or smaller darter so you get a range of species...

Field trips... I really enjoyed the large group trips at the MO convention and how they were vastly different habitats for each trip. I especially enjoyed the float trip on the Black River, as a group we caught 50+ species that day! that was unbeleivable. So a high diversity decent sized river that the whole group could enjoy would be nice. I know it's a stretch but I am a sunfish fanatic so are there any introduced Gaudelupe Bass populations within a reasonable distance? if not I may have to stay a day or two extra because who knows when I'd ever get back to Texas.

I would also like to find Gaudelupe Bass, also I would like to catch some wild Reo Grande Perch (Texas Cichlid). Giant Smallmouth Buffalo sounds fun too. Are Aligator Gar near by?
I think these fish would be good on a shirt.

Mike

Edited by Mike, 02 March 2008 - 09:14 PM.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#31 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:59 AM

okay guys this is Wayne, the host of your 2008 convention. Just wanted to drop a line and let ya'll know somethings that are in the works. First if ya'll know of anyone who is intersted in presenting please email me and let me know. The deadline will be July 1, so that I can let the presenters know by July 15. I would like to try and focus on aquarium based research, but any and all will be gladly accepted. I am working on announcements, and they should be mailed out by the end of the week. So keep an eye open! Also we are trying to plan some feild trips, and I am trying to get a good variety. One will be fishing for Buffalo on Lake Athens, and maybe possibly some gar if anyone is interested. Another one will be going out with a mangement crew on a shocking boat, and learning some of the ways that Texas Parks and Wildlife use to determine stocking densities in a lake. Then for the people who would like to do some collecting we have two Wildlife Mangement Areas to collect in. Both are only about 30 - 45 minutes away, and should be able to a wide variety of different species. But if there is any other feild trips you would like to go on please let me know and I will try and make it happen. As for catching Guadelupe Bass it is going to be fairly difficult unless ya'll wont to travel about three and half hours away, but it could be done. And if you want to discuss anything or call about anything please feel free. This is ya'll convention and would like ya'll to be involved as much as possible.

Wayne
wayne.heaton@tpwd.state.tx.us
Phone: 903-670-2239

#32 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Wayne, have you been to one of these shindigs before?

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#33 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Yes I have, and I have actually presented at 2 of them. Why do you ask?

#34 FourSeineFeet

FourSeineFeet
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Local fishy info

http://www.natureser...sp?huc=12030201

http://www.ansp.org/...fish_table.html

#35 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Yes I have, and I have actually presented at 2 of them. Why do you ask?

OK, then you have a feel for how the field trips go. That's all.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#36 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

Well just wanted to give everyone and update and some new items that have just came up. Looks like to collect fish for the feild trips all you will need is gear and a great attitude. I will be putting everyone who is interested in collecting on a collecting permit, so that way no one will have to hassel with getting the right documentation. All of it will already be done. Another thing is that Casper and I have been working deligently on t-shirts. We are hoping to have them back from the printer in a week or so, but until then we will give you a preveiw. I have attached the outline of the shirt for people to look at. Now for the "meat" of the email. We are having some good ol' fashion home cooked Texas Bar-B-Que and Chilli at this years convention. Firday night there will be a social for everyone who wants to come out, and the staff will be providing the food in the form of a chilli cook-off. Then for the Banquet Saturday night will be having some of the best Bar-B-Que in Texas. We will be having chicken, sausage, and sliced beef with all the trimmings, and no Bar-B-Que would be complete with out some homemade peach cobbler with ice cream on top for desert. So bring your gear for collecting and your appitie for eating because we will have a bunch of both, and we will see Y'ALL in September!

Attached Files

#37 kalawatseti

kalawatseti

NANFA Fellow

• NANFA Member

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

T-shirt looks great, but treculi should be spelled treculii. Is there time to change it?

Chris

#38 Newt

Newt
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

I think ICZN threw out double "i" endings. Doesn't seem to have caught on, though.

The shirt looks great. Who did the illustration?

Edited by Newt, 15 May 2008 - 05:14 PM.

Nathan Parker.

#39 pmk00001

pmk00001
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

Buffalo fishing on Lake Athens sounds great :) From a boat or shore?
Patrick Kerwin
Alexandria, VA

#40 AC-editor

AC-editor
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

I think ICZN threw out double "i" endings. Doesn't seem to have caught on, though.

The shirt looks great. Who did the illustration?

Fishbase still has it as treculii. I don't remember the ICZN making an official announcement for any specific species names and in fact from the ICZN code of nomenclature Article 33.4

"33.4. Use of -i for -ii and vice versa, and other alternative spellings, in subsequent spellings of species-group names.
The use of the genitive ending -i in a subsequent spelling of a species-group name that is a genitive based upon a personal name in which the correct original spelling ends with -ii, or vice versa, is deemed to be an incorrect subsequent spelling, even if the change in spelling is deliberate; the same rule applies to the endings -ae and -iae, -orum and -iorum, and -arum and -iarum."

To me that means if a name was originally published with the "ii" ending, then any subsequent publications that reduce it to "i" would be incorrect, unless the name had been put up for official change to the ICZN, commented on, voted on, and then passed.
My 2 cents :D :D :D
James D. Clark
Senior Aquarist, Special Exhibits, Fishes Department
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Chicago IL