Few More Darter Specific Tank Questions-

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lgyure85_*

Guest_lgyure85_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Ok, So after the dimension question, I've decided to do 38"x12" for the base, but as for the height I'm still deciding. One person commented that they could escape. I wasn't intending on filling it all the way, since it's going to have semi-aquatic plants growing out the top. If I were to make it 12" h and only fill it to 8", would they be likely to jump out/escape? There is going to be a 1.5" reinforcement along the top edge, perpendicular to the sides of the tank.

Someone had mentioned (I think some years ago) within another post that they put 4oz of bloodworms in the tank at one time and the worms poke their heads out or the substrate periodically so the darters can eat them. Will the same principle work for blackworms? I'm also going to have a separate tank with Endlers in it to keep a good stock of fry.

Jist of the rest of my plan: I'm collecting plants, rocks, wood etc. from near the rives by my house. Going to put the plants and rocks briefly in bleach water then dechlorinator, and boil the wood. I have an uncle that used to build tanks professionally, so he sent me some sweet plans for a homemade undergravel filter (whatever your feelings may be, this is what I've decided will work best for me). I will also have a sponge filter on the intake to my powerhead. To keep my temp down, I'm going to have a large, but adjustable, air pump, with one of the long bendable "air stones." (it isn't really a stone, but serves the same purpose. I think they're called air "wands") That way I'll get a larger area of bubbles, and more cooling power.

For lighting, I'm planning to use two clamp shop lights clamped to mounts I'll have attached to the stand. I'll have the highest "power" CFL bulbs I can find. From what I've read, they will be more than sufficient, and exceptionally cost effective. They also don't put off a significant amount of heat. The tank is located near the intake to our houses central heating/ac system, so it gets great air circulation. If I still have difficulty keeping my temp down, it will be easy to attach a clamp fan onto the same mount as the lights.

What size powerhead do you think I'll need to keep the current high enough? Obviously I don't want to buy one significantly bigger than I need, and waste money, but I also don't want to get one too small and have to buy another one.

tl;dr- What size powerhead do I need for a 40"Lx12"Wx8"H (H of water, not tank) and do I have to worry about the darters escaping if I make the tank 2-4" taller than the water level with a 1.5" reinforcement around the top?

Thanks much! I'll post pics as soon as I get started!

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

http://www.google.co...1t:429,r:21,s:0 I use two of these on my 75 gallon on the "circulation pump" setting, and they work great. One of them should be plenty good for your setup. I would be inclined to reccomend a taller tank. I wouldn't reccomend anything less than a foot of water depth, especially if you're building any rock structures. Also, they can be a little jumpy at first and during feeding/"fighting", so I would also reccomend maybe an eggcrate cover, that way you'll be able to fill the tank all the way up.

Edited by Yeahson421, 04 March 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#3 Guest_lgyure85_*

Guest_lgyure85_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Will they calm down over time? I was more planning on having rocks only as places for them to hide behind to relax, while my driftwood would be the primary structures, with the plants. They will have more than enough items to hop and play on, but I didn't intend to make those items terribly vertical, given the long length of the tank. I would be more apt to keep my water depth high at first, until they calm down with the cover, and slowly lower it an inch or two after they get used to their new home. If, long term, I were to keep the water at 10" what would be a minimum glass height, taking the 1.5" reinforcements into consideration, to keep the contained? There will be ample semi-aquatic plants also providing some cover. I won't be feeding the fry until they're well settled and used to being in a tank. At first, I'll be giving the blackworms with some frozen bloodworms at the bottom of the tank, so as not to encourage jumping in general.

#4 Guest_lgyure85_*

Guest_lgyure85_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I also don't want the tank itself to be too high, so as not to compromise the structural integrity. I have never actually built a tank before, and I don't want to end up with it all over my floor. The (reinforced) stand I have is 40"Wx10"Dx36"H, so I don't want to encourage tipping either, since it isn't going to be directly up against a wall.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yes, they will calm down over time... they will learn that you are the food guy and not be so skittish... but like some others told you on the other thread... the depth does not matter much... there is no magic number... I have tiny brown darters that easily get to the water surface in a 40 gallon breeder tub (about 12" deep... maybe less with the substrate)... but have also seen rainbows and other, what I would consider medium sized darters get to the top of a 55 gallon tank rather easily... even with out structure... on the other hand we all have caught them in ankle deep water, right? So do what you want to do from a visual standpoint to recreate the feel of a stream... the fish will adjust.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I once lost a johnny darter(Etheostoma nigrum ) that cleared more than 2 inches of air to go over the top. So long as your water level is staying low, it doesn't seem as though increased wall height to deter escapes would compromise the integrity of structure.

Steve

#7 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Just reread this and realized my previous post doesn't really add much or make much sense considering your original post. Sorry about that(I'll blame it on lack of sleep).
About the needed power head, I'm currently using a 692GPH pump to create flow in a 48" tank where the width of the flow is about 6"-7" wide. It supplies two spray bars to do this. I'm not completely convinced that specific numbers are really that important though, I was using a pump rated for 382GPH to do this and it worked just fine too. With the higher flow pump, my minnows tend to stay back from the flow a little more, but the darters seem to be OK with either one. Hope this helps.

Steve

#8 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Someone had mentioned (I think some years ago) within another post that they put 4oz of bloodworms in the tank at one time and the worms poke their heads out or the substrate periodically so the darters can eat them. Will the same principle work for blackworms?

Picture of my blackworms sticking their heads above the substrate:
http://gallery.nanfa...hoto 3.jpg.html
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauZG5MANQM

Edited by EricaWieser, 04 March 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#9 Guest_rickwrench_*

Guest_rickwrench_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Video:

What the heck is that "puff" from the substrate at :08 of the video???

Rick

#10 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

What the heck is that "puff" from the substrate at :08 of the video???

Rick

A corbicula clam. Our native clams are not very populous and not very nice to fish ( http://www.bogleech....clampirism.html ) so I keep a foreign species in my tanks. They stay under the substrate for the most part, with just the tip of their lip sticking up and out of the clay kitty litter. Occassionally a blackworm would try to go in one and it would sneeze.

Edited by EricaWieser, 05 March 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#11 Guest_lgyure85_*

Guest_lgyure85_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Oh wow, the darters will have to REALLY like those, because they do look pretty gross...what do they eat?

#12 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Oh wow, the darters will have to REALLY like those, because they do look pretty gross...what do they eat?

Blackworms? They are detrivores. Mine ate fish flakes.

And yes, darters love blackworms. They freak out and have a feeding frenzy.

#13 Guest_lgyure85_*

Guest_lgyure85_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

I guess it wouldn't hurt to put the blackworms in before the fish then, and keep them on fish flakes. Probably good for keeping my bacteria population up too.

#14 Guest_lgyure85_*

Guest_lgyure85_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Until they're in it, that it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users