Large Pond Snail - What should I consider before putting it into my tank?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Siamese algae eaters and flying foxes. Both have been seen grazing on the shell.

Usil

Edited by EricaWieser, 14 May 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#22 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Erica, I wanted to keep the tank 100% native but I had to be practical too. Algae control was in my new plan for my 55 gallon tank after I cleaned it out. I have 2 SAEs and 2 Flying Foxes in my 55 gallon tank and they regularly scrub my rocks, plants and drift wood and now the algae on my trapdoor snail. They are hard workers.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 14 May 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#23 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Erica, I wanted to keep the tank 100% native but I had to be practical too. Algae control was in my new plan for my 55 gallon tank after I cleaned it out. I have 2 SAEs and 2 Flying Foxes in my 55 gallon tank and they regularly scrub my rocks, plants and drift wood and now the algae on my trapdoor snail. They are hard workers.

Usil

I'm just glad to know something eats cladophora. My tank literally looked like this: youtube.com/watch?v=8y8b9lxctMc from the cladophora. The mat got to be four inches thick eventually. And there were leeches in the tank. The cladophora just grew and grew because nothing would eat it. It was horrible.

Edited by EricaWieser, 14 May 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#24 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

LOL. Well, you saw my pictures of my algae choked tank. Similar issues. That is why I want to try and stay ahead of the game. I recommend pairs on these fish. They like to stick together and work together. While I doubt they could have made a dent in the final stages of your algae problem, maybe they might have worked hard and not letting it get that way.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 14 May 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#25 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Siamese Algae Eaters are awesome and absolutely don't get enough credit in my opinion. And they look a lot like a native cyprinid to boot. I have them in my 75 gallon minnow tank and barely remember that I didn't catch them.

#26 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

It took me awhile to find true Siamese algae eaters locally. Most places call flying foxes SAEs so you have to be careful. Even when pet stores order SAEs they often get flying foxes so it can be hit and miss. Flying foxes do clean algae but the SAEs are better and more consistent at it. And they do blend right in for my 55 gallon tank along with all the rest.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 15 May 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#27 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

A word on the activity of this snail (Trap door):

As snails go - this is a very boring snail. It moves rarely more than 1 foot in a day and decided to shut the door and close up for most of the day. Then, next day does the same. It is shut more often than not. Anyone else have any experience with the Trap Door snail?

Also, all algae that was on this snail has been completely scrubbed off. Not a spec left.

Usil

#28 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

That is Bellamya chinensis :(

They are safe for all plants and fairly interesting in a tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users