Photo

Fish in Focus on the NANFA Web Site

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sorry Dustin. You will be in a later one. Erica's Elassoma gilberti FIF will be in the next issue

#22 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Fish in Focus Updated!

Thanks to all here that helped (centrarchid, UncleWillie, gerald) we have updated the Pirate Perch information on the web site.

Checkout Fish in Focus on the NANFA Home Page

It's right there on the bottom left, under Learning More click on Fish in Focus and go directly to the updated pirate perch info.

And click there occasionally and see what else we have added.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#23 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Excellent! It also shows how knowledge about fish progressed and each part contained valuable information that should not be thrown out with wash water.

#24 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

This is a great resource! Thanks, Michael!

Here's a direct link: Fish in Focus

It might be nice if the names were alphabetized, especially if we get a bunch more of them. I assume they are listed in the order they appeared in AC?

#25 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

No, I beleive they are listed in Scientific order...

Same as the way many of the FIshes of xxxx books are listed.

I am not an expert in this listing, but for example primitive fishes like lampreys are listed first and then minnows all together and then suckers, etc. and darters are listed nearly last. With each major group then they are listed alphabetically by their scientific binomial.

I guarantee there is a better explanation than that... but that is the basic idea.

Oh, and be aware, that the link you gave will alwways take people to the Pirate Perch article... but if you go to the webpage and click Fish in Focus, it will take you to the latest updated article... I am changing that link every time I add a new FIF article.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#26 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ah, I see. That makes sense. And I noticed that about the web page, but there didn't seem to be a generic "Fish in Focus" link that would automagically take you to the most recent entry. Thanks for explaining it!

#27 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

I have started gathering info for my article on longnose dace, icked up some interesting facts on its nesting habits and its endangered subspecies the nooksack dace. (which looks like a longnose with a slightly swollen nose).

Edited by FirstChAoS, 04 October 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#28 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

while reading up on info for my article I got a few questions.

1. When citing sources that cite other sources do I cite the source I got the info from or the one they get the info from.

2. When it says the fish breeds at age II and can live to age V is that the years in roman numerals or do the I and V stand for something else.

3. I hope I can find info on the disconnected populations shown on this range map http://mtnhp.org/thu...pg&maxWidth=600

#29 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

while reading up on info for my article I got a few questions.

1. When citing sources that cite other sources do I cite the source I got the info from or the one they get the info from.

2. When it says the fish breeds at age II and can live to age V is that the years in roman numerals or do the I and V stand for something else.

3. I hope I can find info on the disconnected populations shown on this range map http://mtnhp.org/thu...pg&maxWidth=600

1. Cite original always and newer if it puts new spin on findings.

2. Cohort age in years as based on calender years with one year added every January 1 even when born day before in December (like horses).

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

New update to the Fish in Focus on the website

The recently published AC has a great Fish in Focus article on Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish by our very own Erica Wieser... well not to be outdone... the web has the same article! So if you are not a member, you will not get the rest of the great stuff that is in the AC (so maybe you should jump over to the web site at http://www.nanfa.org/join.shtml and drop the $20 on a full NANFA membership, we are so much more than just a discussion group) but you can sample it by checking out the web site at http://www.nanfa.org...Egilberti.shtml

#31 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Wow - that one raises the bar for Fish in Focus articles. Nice job Erica.

#32 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Great job getting this going again Michael, and thanks to all the members who having been writing new articles.

#33 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Happy Thanksgiving... here is a new Fish in Focus for you on the website.

Mike Lucas (you know him here by a different name) was the first to respond to my urgings to write a Fish in Focus article. His "Mighty Mudminnows" was published in the Spring 2012 American Currents. And is now also on the web!

Remember if you are not a member, you are not getting the rest of the great stuff that is in the AC (so maybe you should jump over to the web site at
http://www.nanfa.org...n></span>.shtml and drop the $20 on a full NANFA membership, we are so much more than just a discussion group) but you can sample it by checking out the web site at http://www.nanfa.org...mudminnow.shtml

#34 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Merry Fishmas and a double shot of Fish in Focus is your fishmas present! For fishmas we are adding two great FIsh in Focus pages that were originally published together in the Summer 2012 issue of American Currents by Tom Ganely. From the main page of the NANFA Website you can get directly to Letolucania ommata the Pygmy Killifish, also sometimes called the lemon swamp killi by those fo us that chase them down in the Okefenokee... and added to the list you can also find Heterandria formosa the Least Killifish, which is not really a killi at all, and might should have be called the Least Livebearer.

#35 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I would really like to write a Fish in Focus column, but I fear most of the fish I would be interested in or qualified to write about wouldn't be of much interest to most NANFA folks. What do you guys think about having one about a larger, less aquarium apt or popular species? Would any of you guys be interested in one on an Ameiurus species, or perhaps rostrata?

#36 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Andrew, I think you have a misunderstanding of a few things:

First, NANFA is not about aquariums. It is about Native Fishes. So an aquarium appropriate species is not necessary.
Second, check out the existing Fish in Focus and you will find that one Ameiurus species is already represented so they are obviously a good topic.
Third, if you mean Anguilla rostrata there is already a pretty good entry there, so I would recommend a different subject.

Please do write something. NANFA relies on its membership to step up and get active. If you have an interest in these fish, am sure there are others that do to. Take a look at the existing FIF and see where you can add to our knowledge base.

#37 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Andrew, I think you have a misunderstanding of a few things:

First, NANFA is not about aquariums. It is about Native Fishes. So an aquarium appropriate species is not necessary.
Second, check out the existing Fish in Focus and you will find that one Ameiurus species is already represented so they are obviously a good topic.
Third, if you mean Anguilla rostrata there is already a pretty good entry there, so I would recommend a different subject.

Please do write something. NANFA relies on its membership to step up and get active. If you have an interest in these fish, am sure there are others that do to. Take a look at the existing FIF and see where you can add to our knowledge base.

Great, I will write one when I have time. Also, I'm glad NANFA isn't only about aquaria, if it was I wouldn't be a member but I figured a species people like to keep in captivity would be more interesting to many than most that I'd like to write about. I now remember the rostrata article, as I remember it was very good. I didn't have time to read them all before posting my original reply.

#38 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Michael, if I can ask a self-serving and dumb question I don't recall being addressed elsewhere... I have a piece on Etheostoma hopkinsi I'm tinkering with. It's intended to be a general information piece, and I may or may not submit it as free-lance work to the SC DNR magazine. It won't win any Pulitzer's, but it's not bad for what it's intended to be. Should my story be picked up, SC DNR has serial rights for six months, I believe. Does NANFA carry a similar policy? I fully intend to submit this to AC and/or F.I.F. regardless of what I decide concerning SC DNR. (Obviously, I wouldn't expect, or want, any money from NANFA.) I imagine NANFA is able to move faster than SC DNR in its decision making. Could I submit it to NANFA, and if they were interested in my piece, reach agreement for its publishing however they want to use it (IF they want to) and then farm it out to SC Wildlife or any other publication?

This might wind up being irrelevant. My window of opportunity is closing pretty fast, as an E. hopkinsi piece is a natural for late in the year, which means I need to get it to SC DNR pronto if I'm going to get it there at all. Problem is, I've hit a temporary snag in that I double checked the legalities of collecting said darters in SC to be sure my piece was accurate. Long story short, it was suggested I apply for a collector's permit. I'm happy to do so, but it will most likely be the end of this month before I receive it, assuming I'm approved. The merits of collecting one's own aquatic specimens is part of the piece as it stands now, and I don't want to submit it with collecting info if the state doesn't give me permission to collect in the first place... If I don't have permit in hand by the end of next week I'm going to rework it without any collecting references, but that seems to rip much of the heart out of the piece. And then I'm right back to my original question anyway.

So, whatcha think?

P.S. I addressed this to Michael as it is his baby, but any experiences/advice anybody could share would be welcomed.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#39 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Matt, why would you need a special permit to collect Christmas darters? First off, what exactly is a collectors permit. Secondly, Christmas darters are a species of concern which holds no formal protection. Christmas darters are very common where found in the state and are only of concern due to their small range in the state.

As for the article, it sounds perfect and we would love to have it. We have no similar serial rights policy. We will publish it any time you like.

#40 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Matt, first I would say I agree with Dustin, but just to put my spin on it I would say...

I would love to have you write something up as a FIF for NANFA... and remember that means you, because we are all NANFA... it is an all volunteer organization... when you do something to make NANFA better it is the ultimate DIY. And E hopkinsi are a great little fish for a FIF. Of course they are mostly in Georgia... plug for my state... but they are also a local fish for where you live... and that's what I want FIF to be all about... all of us teaching all of us about our local fish. So please write something up (I can help if you want) and submit to Fritz and Konrad and we can get it published in AC... they always need fresh AC content.

As for rights and such, read the inside cover of the AC. I think that once we publish something, it is open to be re-printed by other organizations as long as they follow the rules printed there. Which I think would mean that once published in the AC, you would not ever get paid for it by anyone like DNR. And I am not sure how it works for you, but DNR doesn't pay for articles around here anyway.

Let me know if you need more help... would be willing to work with you on it as a total ghost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users