A Longnose Dace?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

A student in my lab found and photographed the following fish in a spring run tributary to the Flint River north of Huntsville, AL. It's probably a blacknose dace, but has some resemblance to longnose dace that should be ~200 km to the east of here in the mountains east of Chattanooga, TN. In particular, the color pattern on the dorsal fin seems to be more like longnoses, and the snout itself seems to be longer than blacknoses here. I appreciate any opinions.
Dace1.JPG Dace2.JPG Dace3.JPG

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Looks like a blacknose to me. I have seen some that looked very much like a longnose in the past.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, I know there's often a thin line between them, this one looks different from the standard local issue, which is what happens in nature.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

I know your specimen is dead, but one thing we saw in Ohio where both were present in the same seine hauls... pectoral fins on blacknose seemed to lay along side of the fish (as in your picture)... pectorals on the longnose seemed to stick out to the side (made them look like littel airplanes or sharks or whatever.

This one I am guessing blacknose...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Blacknose. I have seen a lot of both in my region.
I reckon you have seen the Blacknoses in the spring when they are burnt orange sided. Handsome fish. Seems like in the revised TN Fishes book there was something about calling them Orange sided Dace?
My experience with the Longnose Dace is they are found in the higher elevations, up in the Smokies. Cataloochee, upper upper Citico Creek where other unique species are such as Greenfin Darters. They are much longer, especially the snout, and have a slick leathery suede look, at least while snorkeling. I do not think they get any of the intense color of our Blacknoses in the spring, though i may not have been in the right place at the right time.
Blacknoses around Chattanooga seem to be found consistantly around spring heads and spring runs and cool creeks in the colder months. They like it cold.
:)
The wide perduncule is also a key visual for me, and their slick, scaleless, limpness while in your hand when seining.
I like what Michael said... i recall the longnoses looking like airplanes in the fast rushing mountain water. They stay tight to the substrate and like Blacknoses will rush and hide under stones and crevases. Their pecs do stand out more sculpinish.
Both are cool fish but will not survive in warm aquariums.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Wish I had gotten a good picture (but I forgot to recharge the camera battery) of the long nose dace we saw in Ohio... Justin took us to this stream that had a bunch of dace in it... four species, but what I really mean was quantity was just nuts... 40-50 fish in every seine haul... but anyway... the longnose dace all had bright red fins... all the bottom ones and the caudal and the nose (not a fin, but it was reddish also)... they were amazing... and Josh (firstchaos here) caught one that I swear was 6 inches long... incredible fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Heres some close up shots of BND's from PA, for comparison though your local BND's probably vary a bit from mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

video of juvenile long nose in my 55 gallon tank.

http://s250.photobuc...nt=100_4706.mp4

video of the juvenile long nose & my bnd's at feeding time. You can see the big difference in behavior between them.
http://s250.photobuc...nt=100_4707.mp4

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

that first video is confusing... are you sure those are dace? The sounded like catfish!

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

Here are a few of my local blacknose. First one in spawning color. Notice the lack of a bright orange line like the Ohio ones had.

Posted Image

also their nose are blunter than the ohio ones (this one is semi in breeding color)

Posted Image

One from way up north in pittsburg NH

Posted Image

one from blood brook in the merrimack drainage

Posted Image

this one was in the middle of a cattail bed in a still water dammed section of the connecticut river. not the typical habitat for them

Posted Image

I have alot more, but these should give you an impression of what my local blacknose look like

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users