Green Sunfish Captive Care Question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Are they diggers? I have a 33 XL that I was thinking of using for a single pair (well 4-6 to grow out and get a pair), but the tank has 1" of soil, then 1" of sand ontop as a substrate, which would be a mess if they were diggers. If they are, what species could be kept in this tank and not dig lol.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

The few greens I've kept have never been diggers, they seem to spend all their time waiting for something to drop in to the tank that they can eat.

#3 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

What fundulus said.

Usil

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

They are an awesome fish for aquarims. And I know a lot of people say they are aggressive, but mine was one of the most passive sunfish I've ever owned! Even more passive than my Warmouth at the time!

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Adult males tail-sweep to dig at breeding time. Effects not as extreme as cichlids.

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thank you guys for the input. I have never kept one of these before. Now I must go to the vendors section to legally purchase some (love the laws of WI.)

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

You can't even trade?!

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

Nope, we need to have a valid proof of purchase/receipt. otherwise the dnr will not know if it was collected by me, or purchased, or traded.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

I will never understand these laws. You can remove it from the water, dispatch it, and eat it, but if you keep it alive it is criminal. I assume this has to do with transport.

#10 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yeah it has to do with the transport and VHS amongst other things. I wanted to raise some round gobies in a tank with breeding cichlids to see if they are able to overcome the aggressiveness of the fish and "harm" the populations growth. I have a 150 with convict type cichlids in it (for feeder production) and from what I have read, round gobies destroy nests and spawns of natives. I couldn't get the DNR's backing for the research.

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Yup, disease and invasive species are the reasons. If you take it alive, there is potential for you, or someone you give it to, to release it somewhere else either deliberately or accidentally. Of course purchasing it from another state doesn't really solve those problems.

I will never understand these laws. You can remove it from the water, dispatch it, and eat it, but if you keep it alive it is criminal. I assume this has to do with transport.

#12 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I was informed 2 years ago by the DNR I had to rid my fishroom of my non-natives. I miss my bluespotts, banded, zonatum and evergladaes :(

#13 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

But you can still keep/buy/sell tropical fish and goldfish, right?
So, do they mean you cannot keep fish that are native elsewhere in the USA but not in WI?
I will never understand these laws.

I was informed 2 years ago by the DNR I had to rid my fishroom of my non-natives. I miss my bluespotts, banded, zonatum and evergladaes :(

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, that does raise interesting questions like would they apply for and execute a warrant to see if you're keeping exotic centrarchids.

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

"So, do they mean you cannot keep fish that are native elsewhere in the USA but not in WI?"

-This is correct, Tropicals and goldfish are fine still to keep.

"Yeah, that does raise interesting questions like would they apply for and execute a warrant to see if you're keeping exotic centrarchids."

- I heard the someone in my LFS had been fined for keeping elassoma, but I never got much for details. I doubt they come-a-knocking. This Is is why I follow the rules no matter how ignorant/stupid/outright wrong I think they are :( Most of my tanks are now tropicals due to this. I am keeping some "temperate" south american fish that I believe, if left in a pond with aeration for the winter, could probably survive? (Like some of the gymnogeophagus species, those red ceibrals, etc).

The blue spotted and banded sunfish were some of my favorite fish to keep while I was able to keep them. And what is weird about the DNR, is each person you talk to interprets the law differently, so you never get a completely clear answer (except for you must dispose of them!)

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

What if you scour the feeder goldfish tanks of your LFS and look for juvenile Greens that occassionally get mixed in? You could then purchase it legally, inexpensively, have proof of purchase, and not have to worry about having it shipped and shipping costs?

Dare I say, loop hole?
Nick L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users