Frustrated with my Eastern Black nosed dace

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

From what it appears, I have 5 male & 1 female dace. I had found 3 small groups of fry that were close in age but maybe a few days apart since they were different sizes and I netted out all that I found. In all I ended up with 11 fry. Tonight for the 2nd time this week, I found a male (with orange pectoral fins) in the net basket with the fry. again there was a mangeled baby and others missing. Im now down to 4 fry. I just transfered them to my daughters tiger endler tank. Lots of babies in there about the size of my fry which are just under a 1/2 inch. Not sure if his original intent was to eat them or to avoid male aggression. Perhaps the female is ready to spawn again. The other day I did see them all hurridly rooting around the gravel looking for food. They get fed twice a day.

Attached Images

• f1 minnow fry 1 30 13 01.jpg
  • f1 minnow fry 1 30 13 02.jpg
  • f1 minnow fry 1 30 13 03.jpg

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

That's great you were able to save some fry. I doubt he jumped into the basket with any "intent" of eating fry. They are riffle-climbers by nature; it's a hard-wired instinct for survival in small high-gradient streams. Anything in the aquarium that seems like a barrier is something to climb over, especially if water is flowing over it (like a filter return chute). Raise the net basket up higher so that it is right against the tank cover.

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Those are actually quite large which leads me to believe that you've been raising them for some time in the mason jar? How old/large are they in your pictures? They must have been able to feed in your main tank before you noticed and removed them since you say they were different sizes. You must be doing something right if you're getting them to spawn. Congrats.
Nick L.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users