• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Attached File  038.jpg   183.48KB   8 downloads

Hope the pic is ok.

Fish is c3.5 inches SL. Not L.gibbosus (unless the orange/red spot is absent on juveniles/sub adults?) but I can't really say anymore. I have a Petersons guide but am still unsure. Hybrid?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Markart, 04 February 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

if you didn't have that "UK" right there under your avatar, we would all be hollering at you for not telling us where you are, or where you saw the fish. But I am going to ask anyway... where is this fish? Looks liek an aquarium shot (and we normally dont allow ID requests of fish after you bring em home). But I think your situation might be a little different here.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Looks like a longear or northern longear without the red on opercular tab. If hybrid it would involve longear x pumpkinseed.

#4 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

My guess is a pure longear. The great plains longears (one of the longear variants) look pretty similar. I've posted photos of a juvenile and an adult below. Yours has an ear flap that is about half way between these two.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

if you didn't have that "UK" right there under your avatar, we would all be hollering at you for not telling us where you are, or where you saw the fish. But I am going to ask anyway... where is this fish? Looks liek an aquarium shot (and we normally dont allow ID requests of fish after you bring em home). But I think your situation might be a little different here.

You are quite right Michael, fish is in home aquarium (not mine) and purchased from lfs, who didn't know what it was! They are restricted over here and the owner now knows this, however he would like an id.

I

Looks like a longear or northern longear without the red on opercular tab. If hybrid it would involve longear x pumpkinseed.

My guess is a pure longear. The great plains longears (one of the longear variants) look pretty similar. I've posted photos of a juvenile and an adult below. Yours has an ear flap that is about half way between these two.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks all. I initially thought L.gibbosus-chain like markings on sides, wavy lines on dorsal; but still am unsure about the absence of the tell-tale orange/red spot-would this be a feature on adult fish only? When is this spot likely to develop?

Thanks for your patience.

#6 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Pumpkinseed juveniles look very similar to adults. They have the red spot when they're still quite small.

#7 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Pumpkinseed juveniles look very similar to adults. They have the red spot when they're still quite small.

Thankyou Ben, it'll be interesting to (hopefully) see this fish develop into an adult.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Fish in image is an adult. A little coaxing would get it to spawn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users