Photo

Great time in Athens, GA

31 replies to this topic

#21 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

http://www.caudata.o...id-request.html"Mudpuppy" update. Finally got around to posting this picture over on the caudata.org forum. They have a really good forum/community over there, just like us. I've had two responses since I posted it about an hour ago. Both agree it is not an Ambystoma. One leans towards it being a dwarf mudpuppy, while another feels it is probably a Pseudotriton. We may have to give Uncle Willie some amphibian id "props", too. Will try to post a link to the thread as it exists now, but I'm technically challenged.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#22 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

After one afternoon of conversation, the folks over at caudata.org's forum seem to favor the identification as that of a larval Pseudotriton ruber. Which is one cool looking salamander as an adult.

Follow the link in the post above if you want to follow their discussion on this. Their forum reminds me of ours; if you're amphibian-curious :wink: at all you might enjoy it.
Matt Knepley

#23 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hey Matt, I am going to have to go back and agree with Uncle Willie and disagree with the salamander guys. I think it is Pseudotriton montanus. Based on "Amphibians and Reptiles of Georgia" Jensen, Camp, Gibbons and Elliott the Mud Salamander P. montanus can be told from P. ruber by the iris color. Our specimen has dark brown (not yellow or orangish) colored irises. The eye is clear in our picture and obviously brown.

Also we were west of Athens, technically in Barrow county, and the range maps in the same book confirm that mud salamanders are found in the county. The small stream habitat is also consistent with the habitat described.

Not a mud puppy like I first said... a mud salamander, larval phase.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#24 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hey Michael, you have a point there. I may not have been specific/accurate enough with my location for the caudate folks. Or perhaps there's been a reworking of what is and what ain't a Mud/Red salamander. (Seems like our taxonomists were getting into it over that type of thing just a couple days ago...) At any rate, I'm content with the Pseudotriton id. Mud salamanders are decent looking critters, too. We might just have to go back out there and find one to "grow up". Assuming we have checked all the necessary legalities, of course...
Matt Knepley

#25 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Not so fast, my friend. I looked at him again, and while the area around his eye is brown, the iris looks yellow to me. But as I said before, I'm happy with getting him narrowed down to a Pseudotriton!
Matt Knepley

#26 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Not bad for a bunch of fish guys!

#27 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

any of you guys know a spot for longear sunfish in GA?

#28 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Lower Oconee below Milledgeville has some. But the Ocmulgee River from Jackson Lake to Juliette is loaded with them. I can't speak for tributaries, but the mainstem Ocmulgee west of Monticello is your best bet. The most common sunfish in that area is going to be redbreast. But where you don't find redbreast, you'll find longear. These are introduced populations. Conasauga drainages have natural populations though.

#29 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

thanks, anyone wanna go on an expedition?

#30 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

anyone know if Longears exist in the Lanier water shed? specifically in Gwinnett, Hall or Barrow?

Edited by ttman, 02 June 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#31 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Just to be clear, Lanier is the Chattahoochee River Watershed... but much of those other counties you mentioning are not (pretty sure Barrow is all Oconee Drainage).

Not sure about longears, but there are pages for each of the fishes of Gergia and usually distribution makes here:
http://fishesofgeorg...x.php?page=home

you can also do a google search for "georgia watershed map" and get several nice examples that sometimes show county lines as well as watersheds.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#32 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

A lot of Gwinnett County drains into the Upper Ocmulgee, but the north and west parts of the county drains into the Chattahoochee. And like Michael said, Barrow is Oconee drainage. Here is an interactive map for HUC 10 watersheds in GA: http://georgiawildlife.com/node/2715 that is nice to consult every once in a while.
If you don't want that much detail, check out the links on the right, and click on the HUC 8 watershed maps.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users