Minnows for a planted tank?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hello, all. I'm continuing the research for my talk on a high tech planted tank. I'm thinking that minnows and shiners might be a good fit, as many species are tolerant to a wide variety of water conditions.

Some of the more colorful onese that come to mind are red shiners, rainbow shiners, redbelly dace, rosy side dace, and maybe red lip shiners.

Anyone have any thoughts on these or other native minnow species?

Does anyone know of minnow species to avoid, either because they wouldn't do well in a high tech tank, or because they'd eat the plants?

Thanks.

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I would suggest members of the sailfin complex. Our local Pt. stonei are perfect for a planted tank.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

I have kept many many species of minnows in my (sorta) high tech planted tank over the years. So long as the temperature is suitable, the only one I ever had problems with was a large common shiner who I actually watched yank stems out of the substrate and eat them. Lighting configuiration could be a problem if you want an open top tank like many are, since cyprinids are big jumpers...

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I second the Sailfin group other wise known as Pteronotropis (probably spelled that wrong). Other good planted tank species would be taillight shiners, pugnose minnow or shiner, blacknose shiner, blackchin shiner, northern redbelly dace, redeye chub, weed shiners, and I'm sure there are others that would make sense. All of these typically occur in plant heavy environments.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users