Umbra pygmaea spawned in wading pool

28 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

Yep, thats almost my birthday! Happy birthday to me. I dont need them all if someone else needs some. If I get more I have a couple of places I could put them.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#22 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

Well, guess I missed your birthday ... hope it was happy even without mudminnows.  Anyway, Jeff Walsh is here for the Raleigh Aquar Soc convention this weekend and says he will see you next week in Atlanta, so I'll give him some extra mudminnows to bring to you.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#23 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

That would be great. I assume Jeff is making reference to the AAAA meeting. I am speaking at their monthly meeting in native Sunfishes.

Would one of these live well with a Enneacanthus or several in my Walsted style25 gallon?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#24 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

Yes they live fine with anything they cant swallow in one gulp. 

Not aggressive toward anything non-bite-size.  They're about 2" now.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#25 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

mudminnow.jpg

Got em.  I put a few (one each) in some different aquariums situations (see who they get along with or thrive with in a community situation) and put a few outside in a pond (hopefully to make more!).

What a great looking fish, and such cool movement, the seem to paddle around with their pecs and a flowing dorsal fin.

#26 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Yup - fun to watch in a tank.  They can turn their heads a little to watch things, much like darters.  Males will develop longer anal fins.  I doubt you'll get fry this year, but probably in Mar-Apr next year.  Enjoy!

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#27 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

Here's a sibling of yours, just about one year old.  This one was indoor-grown.  Yours stayed in the wading pool all year.

Attached Images

• Umbra.pygmaea.1yrold.06820sm.JPG

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#28 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Wow, that mud minnow looks great. Never noticed so much black in one before.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#29 Pike

Pike
  • NANFA Member
  • New Hampshire

Posted 24 June 2023 - 06:48 PM

I have 4 adults that spawned this spring.  I had added some aquatic plants in April so there would be a substrate for them to spawn on.  I found some small larval fish beginning of May and wasn’t sure if they were some small minnow that was brought by accident with the aquatic plants.  I found some pictures during an online search showing the little tail spike and was blown away since my little fish had/have the same thing, so I was able to confirm they had spawned.

I am raising 3 different species of Daphnia outdoors to feed the little ones.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users