my ramblings on algae...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Clever ideas! I'm curious - what is the growth rate of the stuff on the bottom like that? I think it would make a very fine, beautiful "lawn" that way unless it grows like healthy coontail! In the same ear, how much of a problem is there of it growing on plants placed in the same aquarium?

#22 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

it will take over plants. if you keep the tank blasted with high lights and CO2, you can get some faster growing plants to grow fast enough to be for the most part algae free, but old growth WILL get covered with algae at some point.

that said, i have kept it in planted tanks, and with daily maintenance, you can keep it out of you plants for the most part, but if you let it go it will take over everything.

#23 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

wow, that 's a lot of info, last year i didn't know what to feed fry so i threw a bunch of algae into a kiddie pool , and it worked, is that the redneck version of what you just described, actually i was admiring the aquarium lights and wondering what you used to show off your bluefins. thanks

#24 Auban

Auban
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:35 AM

the lights on my main tank is a 50 dollar shop light i got from lowes.  it has four 6500k t8 bulbs.  

its cheap, but it works well.  

for power growing plants, i have a more expensive setup, but it doesnt make things look as nice as the shop light.  

"The ecologist is continually having to look at the aspects of nature with which he is unfamiliar and perforce must be an amateur for much of his working time.... professionals may carp at omissions, misconstructions, or even downright errors in these pages. perhaps ultimately they may forgive them for the sake of the overall vision that only the amateur, or the ecologist, blithely sets out to experience."G. Evelyn Hutchinson

#25 Auban

Auban
  • NANFA Member

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

i have a question...  

if i want to post something that has little or nothing to do with native fish, but could be used to help with keeping them, is that against the rules?

this thread, for instance, has practically nothing to do with native fish, except for the fact that i raised some native fish while using the algae.  

there are a few other things i have figured out that i could post as well, but they don't necessarily have anything to do with native fish.    should i find out how to breed and raise a difficult non native species, the knowledge i gain from that could probably translate to our own natives.  so, where does the line get drawn?

"The ecologist is continually having to look at the aspects of nature with which he is unfamiliar and perforce must be an amateur for much of his working time.... professionals may carp at omissions, misconstructions, or even downright errors in these pages. perhaps ultimately they may forgive them for the sake of the overall vision that only the amateur, or the ecologist, blithely sets out to experience."G. Evelyn Hutchinson

#26 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:55 AM

I would think the general discussion area could work for that.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#27 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

Auban,

As one of the moderators here, that has to make these kinds of decisions, let me start by saying "Thanks" for asking before just posting.  It makes it so much easier when we can talk about these things in advance.  And your willingness to think before you post is commended.

Second, I want to acknowledge up front that there is certainly a fuzzy grey line between what i s appropriate and what is not.  We do not want to get into the mainstream aquarium hobby and those topics.  We are particularly sensitive (and some people would tell us too sensitive) to talk about non native fishes.  We really do need to stick to NANFA's mission of "...appreciation, study and conservation of the continent's native fishes."

But to answer your question directly, "yes" there are rules and some tings will be removed as not appropriate to our group.  I think your posts have been well placed so far.  Carolina blackworms in a live food culture subforum.  Algae ramblings here (maybe could have even been in advanced captive care).  And I have personally enjoyed and learned from both.

I'm not sure what species you are talking about, but a thread about breeding techniques on a non native fish would probably get removed.  Now if you developed such a technique on a non native and wanted to tell us how you were trying it out one a native, then we would of course be interested in breeding a native.

If you ever want to talk about a thread before you post, please PM Matt and I and we can hash things out or help you.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users