• Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Would fliers do well in a sunfish tank?

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

They should do fine, given a large enough system. The fliers are quite passive and usually don't get picked on by sunfish. Of course all that goes out the window if you have too small of a system and someone (usually the sunny) feels like breeding.
Nick L.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have never kept them, but if they are anything like crappie, they may have a hard time competing with sunfish. For instance, even when I have gotten crappie to eat pellets, they are much slower at eating them than sunfish.

#4 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

So if I have enough space and the sunfish are not breeding they should be fine? I originally wanted to get a black crappie but they get too big and I think fliers would be a better alternative.

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

What sized tank are you considering? Also, what species of sunfish?

As it was mentioned earlier, you may have some issues as the fliers are slower to respond to feeding. So unless you have a long, spacious tank (125 gal?) and can feed both ends at once, you could potentially run into problems. Although, you may be lucky and find the one flier that has more of an attitude than the other species of sunfish.
Nick L.

#6 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, actually a 125 I have in mind. For sunfish, for sure green and bluegill, and I'll also add pumpkinseed, dollars, and longears.
I plan on adding drift wood and live plants as well. I'm open to any suggestions or modifications that will make it easier/better to have fliers in with sunfish.

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Bluegill are not compatible with any shy fish, such as flier, crappie, or any kind of sucker/minnow. Heck, Bluegill aren't really compatible with anything. In other words, GET RID OF YOUR BLUEGILL!

#8 Guest_zoonose_*

Guest_zoonose_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

GET RID OF YOUR BLUEGILL!

Yep, stick with greens, they're prettier, anyway!

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Truth be told, the Bluegill are probably the second or 3rd most passive (least aggressive) species on your list. Dollars, Longears, and P-seeds are very aggressive on the other hand.

If that is your intended species list, just stick to the sunfish and leave the fliers out.
Nick L.

#10 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Aren't green sunfish more aggressive than bluegills?
Interesting, I always thought that dollar sunfish and green sunfish were the most aggressive?
I would like to have fliers one day, either with sunfish or on a separate tank. Which sunfish or fish would do well with fliers?

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Again, you can keep sunfish sp. and fliers together, you just need to be able to be sure that you're fliers are getting an adequate amount of food. I have seen virtually every species of sunfish, flier, bass, etc. kept in the same tank.....albeit a 1000+ gallons. Space/room to flee and hide is what is important here. Try whatever you'd like together in the same tank but I recommending having another tank ready in case you have to remove your fliers.
Nick L.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

You don't want to keep green sunfish with anything even slightly smaller than them. Pumpkinseeds are pretty crazy too, but don't have as large a mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users