Will hornyhead chubs eat pest( pond) snails?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ksauers_*

Guest_ksauers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Will they keep the population down?

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I am not sure with that exact species of fish or snail. I know from experience most north american fish groups have members that eat snails, but not every type of snail is eaten by every kind of fish.

I do wonder given how many groups of fish i read of eating snails if snails are a vital dietary item for many fish.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

I have said it 100 times, if you want to rid a tank of snails, or keep them in check, use greenside darters. As far as I am concerned there is nothing better.
I have no experience with Nocomis as snail control, but would bet my bottom dollar that they will not touch greenside darters.

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Trout, chubs and stonerollers will eat snails

But whether they would control them is another story

#5 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

how about a 4in. white sucker. would he dig up and eat my trumpet snails?

#6 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Every egg laying native fish I've kept has eaten pond snails. Our palaemonetes shrimp do, too. But if you really want your snails gone, the easiest thing to do is:

1) If you don't have any live plants in your tank, dose it with copper sulfate. "CopperSafe" by Mardel is an example.
2. If you do have live plants in your tank, dose with an invertebrate killer or a farm animal dewormer. I can say from personal experience that fenbendazole ("Panacure") does not kill snails (ramshorn, physa, malaysian trumpet). I think levamisole hydrochloride doesn't either. Certainly some of the other dewormers do.

#7 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

hi erica. i dont want my snails gone. i was thinking of adding a bottom feeder to my tank but don't want one that eats plants and snails. something big enough to not get eaten by my sunnies also. any ideas?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users