First Native Excursion

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

The non-spot chubs are bluehead chubs, not creek chubs. The scales are very different and should help you in the future with identifications. The blueheads are likely responsible for your mounds as well.

Those are very yellowfinned and remind me of the fish I see in GA(Michael will have to help here as to drainage) and in the piedmont of the Savannah.

Gerald, in my experience, the fish in any given location are very uniform in appearance with little to no variability save for the size and intensity of coloration differences.

Two species of chub in there then. Cool! Do creek chub not make mounds, or are blueheads just more prone to doing it? Makes more sense now that the yellowfins would be here since I read that they are only really found where there are bluehead chub.

#22 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

More pictures comin' at ya. Since I now know what the fish I found in my parents creek are, I decided to go back and collect some. I have a 29 gallon at home with 2 small creek chub in it from a local creek. Its running a HOB and a 425 gph circulation pump for some riffle simulating current. I originally thought I collected 2 males and 3 females, but after having them a few days I'm starting to think otherwise. A couple of the ones I thought were females colored up after feeding. So now I'm guessing its 1 female and 4 males. But who knows, its hard to sex these guys when they're not in breeding colors. Sorry about the pictures my crappy point and shoot can't keep up with the fast movement.

Heres a group shot. All but one of the smaller yellowfins.

Posted Image

2 of the yellowfins and a chub.

Posted Image

Heres a couple shots to show an example of how one of them randomly colored up after a feeding.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some shots of my two big males.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And heres the only one of the 5 that doesn't have yellow fins. They're more orange.

Posted Image

Last but not least is my largest male all colored up after a nice meal.

Posted Image

#23 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Stunning! I always thought it was funny how much some minnows color up after they get a good meal. That last male is particularly spectacular. Are you planning on breeding them?

#24 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Not in the immediate future, as I don't have the space for extra grow out tanks and such. Maybe eventually :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users