flagfish questions

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I have a 10 gal community tank with swamp darters, a couple of mollies, molly fry, and juvenile flagfish, this week I have been losing on average 1 flagfish daily, all others seem fine, water tests good, victims lose color at about 1inch become lethargic, and stay quietly on surface, seems to be only males ? my first hatchlings, also, our local spring fed river crystal river has suffered badly from lyngbya and other filamentous algae, many are struggling with how to control it and restore water clarity, could stocking flaggies, sheephead minnows, mollies, and other algae loving little fl make a substantial contribution??

#2 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

I can't call myself an expert on this, but it sounds like your tank is probably badly overstocked. I think you should get another - hopefully bigger - tank for some of the fish and until then do more water changes

#3 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

yeah,water tested bad this morn, fish have grown out of tank,a few will have to go to outside pond and friends

#4 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Please don't stock fish where they don't belong. You don't have the tools to fully evaluate the effect they might have (nobody does, really), and this has virtually always turned out badly.

#5 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

flagfish mollies, and sheepshead minnows are native to this waterway

#6 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

If they're native, you're not going to make a significant difference in their population by stocking them. If conditions are favorable for their survival and the algae is a good food source, they will reproduce on their own. You might introduce some diseases though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users