Uploading Photo problem

31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Ok thanks Michael! I guess I've just never hit that threshhold until now. That's easy!

#22 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Michael ( and techs and photo posters )...

I uploaded 10 pictures today without any of the issues we discussed the other night. The process worked as it should and as expected. I am unsure of what was causing the erratic ordering. All seems to be well now.

On a previous CNF 2013 post i uploaded 19 pictures so i do not think there is a limit of how many photos per post you can upload, as you had mentioned to Kanus. There is a per member limit though on the grand total of MBs one can upload, and i think it is 100 MB. Mine currently states 14.94 MB is available so over the years i have uploaded a lot and thus deducted from my allowance quite a bit. Once uploaded i do not think photos can be deleted, even old, old large sized photos.

Photo Posters...

For those that do upload photos it is a good idea to downsize them before uploading to save space, especially since most of us are just viewing them here. I edit them in XP's Paint by double clicking on the jpg. I first resize the image 20%, or if i will be cropping it tight i will resize it to 30%. The cropping feature is awkward as you have to flip your image to crop the photo from the top or left side but it works and is fairly quick. ( Thank you Bill Gates for this clumsey feature requiring flipping. ) I then save as, renaming it to something appropiate. For instance, in the recent snapper photo the original image was 4.52 MB. With no cropping and reducing it to 20% the saved as file became 148 KB or about .15 MB. Point .15 MBs! An amazing fraction of the original file size and i suspect it looks about the same on a typical monitor.

On another note...

i still cannot check images from the Gallery Archive. Is that feature still in limbo with the transistion?

#23 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

yes the archive was not as easy to migrate as we had hoped, but I have not given up hope on teh more technical folks on our team will figure it out.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#24 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Oh, and casper I think the different is the way you uplaod them into the thred allows you to include more (but uses your memorty space)... the way Kanus does it (which is also what I do) is host them somewhere else and then link them in... I think the 10 limit is a link thing... I have hit it before my self and had to split posts.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#25 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

yes the archive was not as easy to migrate as we had hoped, but I have not given up hope on teh more technical folks on our team will figure it out.

The absense of the archive annoys me. O used to to post photos from my trips and its space seemed limitless. The new gallery has very little space in the albums and after doing two it wouldn't let me add any more. it'd be fine as a special gallery for out of the way trips or high quality photos of spawning darters and shiners. But the limited space makes it useless for archiving photos from trip reports.

I have a report i have yet to post due to lack of photo space here. (my other place for storing photos is facebook, but you do not allow images from their to be linked).

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Dude, the Technology Committee (lead by our very own SkipJack) comes through again and restores the Gallery Archive functionality (whoot, whoot)!!!

No need to be annoyed, the hard working team was on the job all along!

#27 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Excellent. Many folks spent a lot of time putting their gallery up and in order. Glad that the Gallery Archive is back and available. I know several people were in need of it for research.
Good job guys.

#28 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Dude, the Technology Committee (lead by our very own SkipJack) comes through again and restores the Gallery Archive functionality (whoot, whoot)!!!

No need to be annoyed, the hard working team was on the job all along!

Thank you very much for your good work Comittee (and especially skip). I am sure that took alot of time, effort, and frustration and you get my thanks for your effort.

#29 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I noticed that some of the photos I uploaded before the server crash (likely a major contributor to it) are broken in my album, and the links to them do not show up in my trip report. Will I need to reupload them?

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

yes, I sggest that you go in and deletethem and re-load. and yes, I think you were one that ws uploading when it crashed. and you might want to look at re-sizing those photos before ou upload them jsut so that we tak up less space.

#31 Guest_magic-carpet_*

Guest_magic-carpet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

After upgrading the server, most issues related to disk space should be resolved. Are you having any more issues?

#32 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

Nothing that I have seen at all. Great Job

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users