CNF Snorkels 2013

51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I want to thank those that have gotten the forum updated and reconfigured. I have been holding onto this posting for awhile and it looks like everything is working again. A big thank you to those that made this possible.

CNF Snorkels 2013

These are pictures from my 4th year guiding trips to various creeks and rivers within the Cherokee National Forest.
There is age diversity among the different groups participating from young to old, and culturally diversity in the various groups such as boy and girl scouts, schools both public and private, nature and hiking clubs, summer youth camps, conservancy groups, and various groups of nature concerned citizens. They all seem to enjoy themselves, and what better activity to be had on a hot summer day?

My first trip for 2013 was May 18 assisting my co-guide Ed Scott on the Citico Creek with the Tennessee Wild Group. I have already posted photos and an account of that outing on the forum at...

http://forum.nanfa.o...e-snorkel-2013/

My 2nd trip was with a Adamah Adventures, a 2 week summer camp for Jewish kids from across the US and several from around the world. One young fella was from Argentina and another from Le France'. This group has come to the Conasauga every year since i have been leading trips. I did not take any pictures that day as i was a bit discombobulated as the group was nearly 2 hours late after the bus driver got lost and i used the time to explore the snorkel hole since it was my first time back to the Conasauga this year. It is interesting how much can change after the winter's high water rages which have continued throughout the spring canceling many scheduled trips. The substrate, structure and flow path can become quite altered and my former snorkel slither routes may be blocked by new stones and rubble washed down. Pleasantly the 2012 summer's silt had been blown out and new growth of river weed has covered many stones and boulders that were devoid last year. But there seemed to be fewer fish, perhaps many had been blown downstream during the rages? I could not find many critters under rocks and wonder if this is not due to all the rock flipping and activity going on at this popular public access site. On a weekend there can be 20 or 30 carloads crammed in of folks enjoying the cool water at the snorkel hole and further downstream at various pools.

My 3rd trip was Saturday, July 20, mostly elders from a community group in North Georgia called the Bent Tree Hiking Club. I do not know how much hiking they do but they certainly enjoyed the cool water and multitude of fish this sweltering day. I much enjoyed spending time with them.

01-BentTree.JPG

The snorkeling gang of 9. 3 had dropped out worried of the random thunderstorms forecast for the weekend. We always have random rains in the summer and as long as the sky is not cracking with electricity we stay in. The fish do not seem to mind rain or shine.

02-Autumn.JPG

A hint of fall? Probably a disease as lots of these bright poxed maple leaves were seen.

03-LimbRoots.JPG

This was interesting. An unknown tree's branches were reaching down into the stream and collecting water with these throngs of rootlets. Perhaps a good strategy during dry years. I might try a transplant for the cement pond.

04-Stonerollers.JPG

Grazing Stonerollers, like a herd of cows they be.

05a-BlueShiner.JPG

A male Blue Shiner, one of the few species still in color. They enjoy the quiet sandy flows, and in this case right where we get in and out of the water. Afterwards, when folks left, i shot a bit of video of 2 males spirling around one another. A beautiful, elegant fish. Federally listed but common when you know where to look.

05b-TriColor.JPG

Tricolor. Tubercules, always in the swifter flows but not quite the raging current Alabamas enjoy. Very hard to photograph!

06-BridledDarter.JPG

Bridled Darter. Also listed. The sides a bit washed out. Usually very black marking resembling a string of flattened pearls. A Percina often swimming just above the substrate. This one was feeding at every small clump of river weed it encountered and let me tag along for a handful of photos.

07-Bronze.JPG

Bronze Darter, probably the most common species at the snorkel hole. They can be quite handsome and are one of the largest darters, well only the Logperch exceed their size. Blackbandeds get as big but are only found downstream near 411 in my experience.

08-Holiday.JPG

Holding his color throughout the year this is the appropriatly named Holiday Darter described by David Etnier, and not that long ago. Though his face is blurred you can really make out the vibrant red on his anal fin. The forest green and indian red of today become vibrant in the spring.

09-CoosaDarter.JPG

I am pretty dang near sure this is a Coosa Darter. I have seen them at other regional sites but the first i have noted at the snorkel hole. It is easy to pass them off as a Holiday when snorkeling by. Coosa males, with their snubby noses, have that red band up in their dorsal.

10-CoosaBass.JPG

Another Coosa, this one a bass. A regional smallmouth, locals also refer to them as a Redeye Bass. Very well marked and attractive unlike those big blobby darter eaters, the Spotted and Largemouth, fair game for the frying pan is my thought. I also saw 3 Stripped Rock Bass at the hole, the first ever. There is a bounty on them as they are voracious eaters of endangered species.

11-HogSucker.JPG

A close up of a resting Hog Sucker showing the delicate potential dexterity of his sucker mouth. We have both the Alabama and Northern in the Conasauga. Between the eyes convex or concave can aid in the proper identity.

A return to Citico Creek.

My next group was yesterday, Monday, with a busload of 17 youth from the Monroe County Boys & Girls Club. What a great group of bright eyed, enthusiastic youngsters. Well mannered and inquisitive they made the day wonderful. We snorkeled under cloudy skies the first round, whopping and hollering while they got accustomed to the cold, masks and snorkels but after lunch we had a bit of blue sky and less disturbed clarity before they headed home. I went back in for an hour or 2 of photos before a big late afternoon storm drove me from the water.

01-BusLoad.JPG

17 and their leader after their immersal. Happy and they know it.

02-B&GClub.JPG

Ready for their 2nd session heading upstream to the spawning beds, redhorse and rapids.

02b-PaintedGirt.JPG

A well painted bright eyed youngster. How can you not enjoy this?

03-StoneRollers.JPG

Grazing Stonerollers. After the club left my 2 assistants, Jessica and Brook and i returned to the water for a bit of show and tell, fine tuning some of their ID skills. They have become quite good this season while offering weekend snorkel sessions to stream side campers. Helping to educate those that enjoy what the forest offers. Its free! Show up any Saturday at the Young Branch Horse Camp.

04-LogPerch.JPG

Loggie, well marked with a couple rollers above.

05-Whitetail.JPG

Whitetail Shiner, the common fish of any substrate disturbance. Upstream a couple tuberculed males, all pearly, jostled for prime spwaning ground.

06-Skeleton.JPG

Skeletons.

07-Warpaint.JPG

Warpaint. A frosty one stayed just downstream of the flurry of Whitetails.

10-Culvert.JPG

Culvert, under the gravel road running cool spring water. The kids enjoyed chasing big yellow butterflies that had gathered in the mossy cove.

08-Upstream.JPG

Looking upstream to the gathering thunderclouds.

09-Downstream.JPG

Downstream to a cobbled riffle run leading to a nice shadowed pool. I wanted the sunshine so stayed above until the lightning crached loud and close.

So ended the day. My next is back to the Conasauga Sunday with a nature group and the following Saturday, August 3, into the Hiwassee River with Hellbenders and Tangerines amongst the Tennessee Wild Folk. I'm 56 and this is the best summer job i have ever had.
:)

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

you are amazing my friend
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Wow, that is awesome Casper. You people and your Warpaints kill me

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Great stuff, Casper! Our waters and people are lucky to have you!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Great stuff, Casper!

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Conasauga River July 28 2013 Georgia Adventurers Group

01-GA-Adventurers.JPG

Post snorkeling, the gang of 12, ready for their ride back to Georgia.

02-Coosa.JPG

Coosa Darter.

03-Drum.JPG

Scarred Drum. Lamprey? Snagging victim?

04-RockArt.JPG

Conasauga Rock Art.

05-RiverWeed.JPG

River Weed, lush and green. I was in the Little River Sunday and the River Weed there is very coarse, perhaps of a different variety.

06-DobsonflyCase.JPG

This is where Hellgrammits are born from.

#7 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hiwassee River August 3 2013 Tennessee Wild

01-TNWildGangof22.JPG

22 Wild Folks ready for their second session, headed downstream to the Benders and Tangerines.

02-Leech.JPG

I usually do not take many pictures while a group is in the water, concentrating on being a good vocal guide, but i could not pass this opportunity up. We were watching a trio of mighty Tangerines and i heard a EWE EWE EWE in snorkel speak and turned to see a fella feverishly pointing at his toe. Turtle Leech and no blood was loss but hearts raced.

03-Blotch&Chub.JPG

The water rises pretty quick and it is best to get near the bank around 2 pm as the water will come fast. A neat trick is to cross the river and get into Spring Creek. 2 of the attendees had their own gear and wanted more so off we went. The first picture i took was of this Blotch and Chub.

04-Blotchie.JPG

After a few minutes the fish settled down and soon this Blotchside was at our fingertips snacking on the little micros we were gently dislodging with our own style of stone flipping.

05-Mound.JPG

A Chub mound from this late season, still intact but not being serviced. It was made form a wide assortment of stones which i found a bit odd.

06-Whitetail.JPG

Galacturas were the hot males of the day. Several runs had their own cluster of males. At one long run we lay facing downstream as 4 displayed in out face masks, round and round with fins fully erect. They are a premium shiner to behold.

07-Hunter.JPG

Ready to pounce. I have seen them run into a seine and grab a small fish. i have never been bitten but i do get some strange marks on my body after snorkeling.

08-Run.JPG

We found a nice chute, canyon like, with clean substrate and well worn stones. You can make out River Chubs, Stonerollers, a single Logperch, Striped Shiner and Hogsucker in this picture. Other species raced up and down the chute, Whitetails and Warpaints while Redline and Snub Darters worked the edges.

09-Mirror.JPG

A nice addition to the fauna, hard to photograph in the low light. They enjoy the cooler water of headwater streams but i first saw them in the Hiwassee proper years ago. A triangle on the caudal base though not visible here, a unique torpedo like body and a small squarish dorsal fin with a flag printed on it. Big head, big eye.

10-Mirror.JPG

Warpainted, a few males were near frosty but their season i suspect is over.

11-Mussel.JPG

3 of these small mussels were feeding below the run.

12-ZoeStone.JPG

I found this unique, long stone and had Zoe display it. Amazing it has laid unbroken all these years.

13-Stone.JPG

Another as a monolith.

14-Flutterfly.JPG

Instead of squirming our way back downstream we walked the woods finding fungi, flowers and this flutterfly.

15-Luna.JPG

A new moon moth.

16-Zoe&Mate.JPG

Zoe and John. Returning to our vehicles we entered a pool after the murky monster turbidity people had left and watched the Whitetails gleaming in the low sunlight of the cleared pool. Another fine day and they treated me to a Farmhouse meal up in Etowah. This had been their 3rd outing with the Cherokee National Forest and are now NANFA members as well. Their eyes are wide to what our clear water offers.

#8 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

A nice addition to the fauna, hard to photograph in the low light...

I recognize that one!

Also, neat pictures overall. I like seeing fish/etc in their environment.

-alejandro

#9 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yes You Do Alejandro!

#10 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Georgia Conservancy Day 1

Another Saturday with an excellent group of wide eyed and attentive Georgians. This is the organization's 4th season returning to the Conasauga and this year they had 2 groups, the 2nd scheduled for tomorrow. The Georgia Conservancy offers all kinds of interesting activities and some are especially intriguing to me such as helping with the upcoming Sapelo Island Festival or camping on the Okefenokee this November. Canoeing, hiking, music events and local brew parties are other opportunities to participate which are posted on their extensive calendered website.

http://www.georgiaco...y.org/index.php

I hope that our Georgia Representative M. Wolfe can work with Bryan on a fishy show and tell for their interested membership and will be forwarding an introduction to each of them soon enough. The attending members paid $30 to spend the day on the beautiful Conasauga and Bryan grilled burgers and dogs for a riverside lunchbreak with a picnic table spread of fixings, chips, nuts and sweet watermelon. An iced cooler set alongside filled with Cokes and water.

01-PicnicCrew.JPG

17 Folks for the fine day. Thunderstorms could be heard in the far distance.

02-BryanGeorgeCyrus&Snooker.JPG

Bryan, George, Cyrus and a wading snooker.

03-CleanSubstrate.JPG

I always like looking at the variety of multicolored stones. Up in the riffle runs they are silt free cleaned by the swift water.

04-Cray.JPG

This beautifully marked crayfish was working the head of a riffle. Love that trim of red and tail of teal.

05-Coosa.JPG

As i was poking around this Redeyed Coosa Bass started following me, eager for anything i would expose.

06-CoosaCray.JPG

The Redeye quickly snatched this little crayfish when i turned a stone and i was able to snap a picture.

07-Larva.JPG

I caught this little nymph and the Bass snatched it from my fingertips.

08-Hell1.JPG

Then i found this beasty!

09--Hell2.JPG

He was big and i figured the Bass would have no part of it!

10-CoosaWound.JPG

When i let the Hellgrammit go in rushed the Coosa as the Hellgrammit piched him right at the eye and lip holding on curled around the Bass's snout! The Coosa went round and round darting under stones and back out flipping this way and that. I searched for him to snap a picture and when i finally saw him again he had this dark bruise mark.

11-Sculpin.JPG

Sculpins under stones, a predator as well. They will color morph before your eyes taking on the color of the surrounding substrate.

12-Bronze.JPG

Percina palmaris, the most common darter at the snorkel Hole.

13-Bridled.JPG

The Bridled Darter

14-Greenbreast.JPG

Greenbreast

15-Greenbreast2.JPG

Like a water lizard, always alert.

16-Musk.JPG

Musk. They come out in force after the people leave. Always cute.

17-Snapper1.JPG

Oh my! I had to hold my breath and go deep down to snap this picture.

18-Snapper.JPG

He was not happy! Danger, hissing and snapping quick. I called over a fella and he nervously took this picture. You can bet i was aiming the snapper in the correct direction when i let him go. A couple years ago i caught a massive ancient snapper and let children get pretty close. Never again. The old one was calm, but not this one! Use caution! They will bite while under water too!

19-Cooter.JPG

Long nailed male River Cooter, held by the snapper photographer. I took a blurry picture of his underside, covered with leechs. A couple years ago Snorkel Boss Jim, Gary and i used forcepts to remove a bunch of leechs from a Cooter. Field surgery of sorts. At the end of the day i was dragging the tub of leechs back into the woods to dump and Jim said No No. Back into the river they go! What? Jim replied... They are part of the ecosystem! I asked if i could wait til we had all left.
The Perseids were falling so i headed up to Sylco to van camp. Relativily cool for August, near mosquito free and comfortable except for a leaking air mattress. I moved to a picnic table, nothing at 1am but by 3 they were falling fast.

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

You're a brave man, wrangling that large an angry snapper.

#12 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

Nice photos Casper! I like the crayfish, hellgrammite, and turtles. Good job getting so close for such good detail.

#13 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yeah i had to count my cold fingers after handling the big beast. Yiiii Ye Yii! While the Tennessee Turtleman was in Kentucky this June, he was hoping to see Ernie at the Sander's Cafe.
I did not get to close with the camera, danger, danger... he was a hissing and snapping mean. The camera ( or more likely the operator ) is erratic but sometimes these close ups are pretty dang good.

#14 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Day 2 Back in the Conasauga with a 2nd round of Georgia Conservationists

01-meteorite.JPG

The next morning i found this burnt stone by my pillow. Nickel iron i suspect. 3' diameter watermelon placed for scale.

02-VanCamp.JPG

Tucked into Sylco's corner. Peaceful, except for the drizzle and sparadic rain of iron.

03-GoodMorning.JPG

A beautiful morning at the Snorkel Hole. 73 degrees, blue sky and sunshine from the east.

04-SnorkelTruck.JPG

Lifeguard John arrives with the snorkel truck.

05-Gang.JPG

Georgia wetsuited Conservationists, ready for a Sunday Snorkel. John on the right and ready to rescue.

06-Family.JPG

Bryan, father and brother. Bryan is the trip organizer for the Georgia group and his brother, folk artist "Bottle Cap", i meet last year at the Finster Festival in Rome on Cinco de Mayo. This is his second year snorkeling with us. Their Dad runs a restaurant in Rome named Schroeder's which explains his two son's size.

07-Skyview.JPG

Interesting shot but i can't seem to catch them Tricolors and blazing Bamas. Too fast, camera not sensitive enough. Slow shutter speed and shallow depth of field. A better camera or a better operator is needed.

08-Tricolor.JPG

Tricolored blur going down. An elegant mnnow, i like their tri-marked dorsal fin and with most fins tipped in white. A trio of Alabamas displayed for us as we gathered in a cobbled run, the last of the season's dominant males jostling for prime position, while in our eddy.

09-RiverRedTail.JPG

2 or 3 big River Reds have moved into the pool. I was able to ease up on this one as his big head was behind a boulder. They work the shallows after folks have left. Blood red tail in the proper light. Big fish, maybe 30".

10-Kayak.JPG

A stormtrooper kayaker, note his Go-Pro. He has been working some runs downstream. I met him yesterday and urged him to take a mask along which he brought today. I like to listen to people describe fish they have seen and have learned to decipher many descriptive regional dialects.
Returning tomorrow for 3 days, rest Sunday, back for 2 more.

#15 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Normal Park Thursday

01-NormalPark1.JPG

37 8th graders regrouped after being divided into 3 rotating groups; Snorkelers, Shockers and Surveyors.

02-MegaBus.JPG

Those that have visited the Conasauga snorkeling hole know this is an odd sight to see. Nearly 10 miles of gravel road, washouts, potholes, small wooden bridges and steep scenic overlooks finally lead here. That is one skilled bus driver. Some school bus drivers only do it once, or never.

03-HogSucker.JPG

Hoover.

04-Holiday.JPG

Holiday.

05-HolidayHands.JPG

Look at his little pectorial hands, er... i mean fins with fingers.

06-LoggieHands.JPG

...and the multitude of little Logperch fingers. They move them with short stubby arms. A boy once commented darters look like lizards. I often think of that.

07-RiverRed.JPG

Redhorse, River Red. I keep trying to get closer. A lot of water between him and i. Recent rains have increased particals, algae or organics, in the water, using zoom just compresses them.

08-CCC-Trout.JPG

I have learned a bit about the area of late and how there was a CCC ( Civilian Conservation Corps ) camp estabished near the Sylco campsite. Exploring, i came across this moss covered structure which i understand was part of a old fish hatchery system.

09-Waterfall.JPG

I was told of swimming pool structure used by the CCC crew and followed Dutch Creek upstream to find it. After about a mile i was blocked by this waterfall. Jim told me they tried to establish Brook Trout above it, though unsuccessfully. I plan to return to snorkel some of the lower pools. I am close to the divide here. Rainbow Shiners on one side, Tennessee Dace on the other. And i still want to find the CCC pool.

10-Downfall.JPG

Looking back downstream. A steep and mossy climb to get here.

#16 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Normal Park, Group 2, Friday.

8th Graders today, a dreary, drizzly day of cool temperatures unfit for mid-August expectations. 68 degrees above and below the surface, no sunshine to be had. It's hard to be motivated in such conditions but again dividing into 3 rotating groups they snorkeled, shocked and surveyed the Conasauga and sampled a small mossy stream.

01-CCC-Wall.JPG

On the way back from my Sylco van camp i photographed this rock wall built by the CCC to direct the creek flow. The drizzle and overcast soon descended.

02-BusLoad.JPG

After the activities the drizzle became a chilly rain. No photos but this of the students, just a bit damp and ready for their bus ride back to Chattanooga.

03-Leaders.JPG

Biology and Science teachers Mr. Trey and Mr. Whipple, Lifeguard John all looking more comfortable than we really were. Last scan for left behind wet tennis shoes, notepads and lunch boxes.

04-FishinHole.JPG

A couple of fisherman, the other 75 years old, descended to the snorkel, err... i mean fishing hole and promptly caught a stringer of predators.

05-Stringer.JPG

Redbreast Sunnie, Spotted Bass and i saw at least one Coosa Bass in the mix. All headed to the frying pan. That might help the Darter population flourish.
An older group tomorrow... and hopefully sunshine.

#17 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm jealous of those kids! Looks like a great time.

#18 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Keeping It Wild Saturday

17 folks from the Atlanta area drove up this misty Saturday morning. As i was giving my river side presentation Pat, JR and Peggy from CFI arrived, pleasantly suprising me. The Keeping It Wild Folks had a triple bonus of knowledgable fish guides this day and we made the most of it even though the water was a cool 68 with an overcast, sunless sky. August just aint right this year!

01-WildFolk.JPG

The Keeping It Wild gang with lifeguard John, Pat, JR and Peggy and missing a few attendees who were huddled in their heated cars still shivering. But most of the Georgia folks really got into it and enjoyed the multitude of fish.

02-WildFolk2.JPG

Winston and today's Wild leader, James.

03-Rainbows.JPG

Another bonus arrival as Dave, Anna and a group of teachers, several i knew, organized as a Tennessee Aquarium education program. Dave led an upstream and spring run seining crew and shared their catch show and tell style, while Anna led a group of snorkelers. Dave's looking for gold in this picture... hint, hint.

04-CoosaBass.JPG

Coosa Bass

05-CoosaShiner.JPG

Another Coosa, this one a Shiner. Pat, JR, Peggy and Dave helped me on some of the mystery shiners i have been encountering. It is nice to have them in a photo tank where we can discuss identity characteristics. I have the 3 common snorkel hole shiners figured well; the Alabama, Tricolor and Blue Shiners but these plainer ones baffle me still, especially when whizzing by in a blur. Somewhat like a Tennessee Shiner the Coosa sports the black blotch at the caudal fin base but the plain Blue Shiners have a similiar blotch shape as well but it extends into a long stripe. I remember David Etnier telling me how fish look different in the seine, in your hand, when preserved, at what age, sex and time of year... and when snorkeling. Whew and true! It takes a practiced and trained eye indeed. And i have to say i believe some folks are gifted in this.

06-Bronze.JPG

A handsome darter also found during the Bronze Age.

06-Sculpin.JPG

Sculpin! A glutton. We saw several today and one group gathered about as i turned the stone and saw a sculpin color shift into the surrounding substrate.

07-DavesFav.JPG

Dave's favorite Conasauga fish. Last year CFI released many tattooed youngsters into the snorkel hole. Tagged with a florescent injection we saw them in the shallows until the end of the snorkel season. Oddly, i have yet to see any this year. Florescense fades in the sunlight but my eye has been trained pretty well to decipher the subtle differences between the Mobile and the Conasauga. I will keep looking.

Another bonus arrival... as John and i finished loading the truck i saw a young wetsuited fella walking briskly with a snorkel and mask in hand. I called out asking what he was looking for and he said "Darters". The correct answer around these parts! I asked what kind and he gave an even better response... "Holidays and Bridleds". Back into the water i went, though this time i put my wetsuit on. The rain began to fall, dancing the surface and we lasted about an hour or two before the shivers overtook us. I will let this new NANFA member speak for himself.

2 more trips scheduled, and the first was rained out. This was to be a 2 day run with a biology class of 7th graders from Dalton, Georgia. Dave and Jeremy from Hidden Rivers planned to videograph the focused students from their classroom, during the gravel back road bus ride and into their wetsuits and river. Each student had chosen a unique Conasauga fish to study and i was looking forward to quizing them. Hogsuckers! I like rain but some August sunshine would be nice.

#19 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

03-Rainbows.JPG

Another bonus arrival as Dave, Anna and a group of teachers, several i knew, organized as a Tennessee Aquarium education program. Dave led an upstream and spring run seining crew and shared their catch show and tell style, while Anna led a group of snorkelers. Dave's looking for gold in this picture... hint, hint.

Judy sings,,, "Somewhere..."
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#20 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

North Whitfield County 7th Graders August 26 & 27, 2013

Monday, 30 plus students arrived in a big yellow school bus driven by their science teacher Mrs. Shell along with several other teachers and parents. After telling them of the river, fish and ecology the students divided into 3 groups of 10 or 12. I took the first group in with their whooping at the chilly, morning shaded water. 66 degreees.

I didn't take many pictures today but here are a couple...

01-Jeremy&Dave.JPG

Dave and Jeremy at the lunch break, waiting for a fresh grilled Famous Nathan's. They were along for the bus ride filming the students from the classroom, into the river and back to school.

02-Speckled.JPG

Speckled Darter. A couple have been seen consistantly at the sandy area where we enter the flowing pool. They can blend right into the substrate and i often do not see them until they darter dart forward.

Tuesday we had a bigger group. To increase their snorkel time we divided them into 2 groups instead of 3 which worked out much better. On Monday by the time you got them into their wetsuits, sometimes with them stretched inside out, backwards and even legs in arms... some of those kids are pretty good contortionists by the way, and then get them through with the whooping and hollering from the cold water rushing in, then finally settle them into the proper fit and use of the snorkel and a fog free mask... much time has passed by. I really want them to have at least a calm "Face in the Water" hour while being able to observe the various fish and critters. Today went very well with the new plan but it's still funny watching them get their wetsuits on.
We had Hogsucker, Stoneroller, Longear Sunfish, Coosa Bass, Sculpin, Blue Shiner and Bronze Darter study students. Others picked insects, now why would one chose a bug when they could have a fish?

01-Snorkelers.JPG

The first group of student snorkelers entering the water getting "acclimated".

02-Group1.JPG

The 2nd group assembled along the waterline, getting ready to peel their suits off for dry clothes.

03-Group.JPG

Dried and ready for the bus ride home. A fine and well mannered group of 7th graders. Jeff of Freshwaters Illustrated on the far left, fully geared and drysuited, wish i had taken a full body shot of him being a true aquanaut. Conasauga flowing away to the Mobile Bay.

04-Distribute.JPG

After folks left i returned to the water for another looksee. Interesting shot showing the gravel distribution below a crevase chute. In the clean runs the gravel is quite pretty, colorful and interesting.

05-Loggie.JPG

Mr. Logperch. I was watching a pod of 4 large Loggies flipping stones, feeding casually. I slowly eased into them and moved a big flat stone gently away. They returned and began to feverishly flip the smaller stones in a feeding frenzy. I had to use the macro zoom to get close enough, even though i was a helpful mammal they were still a bit wary today.

06-MuskEye.JPG

Musk Eye to Camera Eye.

07-Stippled.JPG

Mr. Stippled Darter, camouflaged again. In the spring the rectangles on their sides go vertical metallic foil blue. Where does that blue come from? Not a hint here.

08-Caterpilla.JPG

How about these colors! Hot magenta. Note the fine white hairs, i handled it loosely, cautiously and was not tingled, stung or pricked. I would like to know what it turns into just as it flies away.

09-Fungi.JPG

Drying off, i took a walk along the river trail, an old narrow gauge logging railway, and found a few of summer's fungi. Chanterelles, Tawny Milkcaps, one Indigo Milkcap and a few Cinnabars... all fine edibles. A few fresh Indigo Milkcaps, aka Blue Lactarius, will turn your scrambled eggs into a delicious Dr. Suess breakfast.
These were my last 2 CNF snorkels for 2013. Mr. Ed is taking over for the remainder of August and into the cooling September waters, even one is scheduled for early October. Could be a good bit of Chilly Willys. Last year several friends visited and we braved the snorkel hole in November! Man that was some cold water!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users