• Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Beats working for a living!

#23 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Get Out Chattanooga

Get Out Chattanooga, a monthly magazine here at home just published a 2 page story of our Cherokee National Forest ( CNF ) Snorkeling Program. It's pretty good but speaks not enough of the dazzle that us snorkelers typically see, but it does have a lead photo of Tangerine Sex. Though the season is about over i hope we can put a few more faces below the surface.

The actual magazine article has a few more photos including a Hellbender and Logperch. This digital issue link is a little short and does not show the nicely designed 2 full page spread.

http://www.getoutchattanooga.com/

The writer also shot a clumsy video which at least shows the striking Hiwassee clarity but mostly her blue feets and very few and distant fish.

http://www.getoutcha.../6808/#comments

#24 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

I guess you can find Hiwassee Hellbenders at your spot without making it a team sport.

#25 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Many thanks for this wonderful write up.
A much enjoyed read sir Casper.

You've been a busy fella this summer!

#26 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Isaac... we are gonna have fun in Hell!
Irate... well it is not my real world job working... but find something you enjoy doing and you will never work a day in your life. Somewhat true.
Prez Bruce... remember when Dave hid that Bender the night before? It's kinda like that.
Natural Lance... maybe you will go to Hell too? The summer's best story, featuring chubs, Isaac, you and... is yet to be told.

"Show me the Fish in Their Natural State"
:)

Get Out Centerfold

Real paper vs digital...

GetOut.JPG

#27 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, that hellbender extraction was the most amazing one I've seen, as a true team sport.

#28 Guest_swampfish_*

Guest_swampfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

The caterpillar with the red dots is probably the larva of a luna moth (moon moth). Bugs are every bit as neat as fish. I feed and look at fish every morning and then work with bugs all day. Phil Nixon

#29 Guest_JasonGoneFishing_*

Guest_JasonGoneFishing_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Awesome Photos!

#30 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Nice work Casper!!! An excellent program and they couldn't have a better leader. I cringe seeing the first per chef culvert pic. I spent a lot of time at work correcting culverts like this one.

#31 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Ain't no Benders in the Conasauga Bruce... gotta move to the Tennessee drainage. Locals claim to see them here though... but no professional records are known of.
Thanks for the Moon Moth conversion Auctioneer. With your knowledge i did a bit of research on the caterpillar... only some sport the hot magenta spots and no one spoke of any poison pricks from the tiny hairs.
I see Jason there is more than one Turtleman in Kentucky. :)
NY Scott... unsure of what "per chef culvert" means. We don't talk like that down here.

#32 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Last 2 Trips... August 29 Cleveland HS

Even though my paid contract schedule has run out and Mr. Ed has taken over these last trips, he had 2 back to back days with 2 of my favorite teachers and their students so... i decided to tag along and assist him and Jim, learn a bit of Ed's fishy wisdom, hunt for more fungi, camp and hear of his recent Alaskan Adventures.

01-WaterGang.JPG

The snorkel gang yelling "HogSucker!" with gusto. A wonderful group on a pretty day.

02-Juncture.JPG

Ed and i moved our vehicles up the road to the first campsite which is directly across from the juncture of the two rivers. Conasauga on the right, a bit cooler, and the Jacks coming in from the left. 1/4 mile back downstream is the Conasauga Snorkel Hole.

03-SnorkelEd.JPG

Snorklin' Ed in the current. Though the water is not very deep here there are several flowing pools, a campsite dam and vegitated run that kept us occupied for an hour or two.

04-GoldenBronze.JPG

Golden Bronze in the low afternoon light.

05-Bama.JPG

We found a nice colony of male Alabama Shiners, healthy and still proud. You are looking at about 20% of their potential glory.

06-JoePyeStreamSide.JPG

Easing downstream we exited at this streamside flush of Joe Pye Weed, one of my favorite flowers of summer.

07-Cardinal.JPG

The rich velvet red of the Cardinal Flower, another summertime favorite found alongside sunlit creeks and moist seeps.

08-IronWeed.JPG

...and the last of my trio of summer favorite flowers... Ironweed. I can't find a richer, more passionate purple.

09-PlateFull.JPG

We began to ease through the woods, plaqued by swarms of relentless Horseflies nearly driving me into a crazied frenzy... but the reward was beautiful and enough for us. From 7:27 and clockwise... Cinnabar Chanterelles, Green Russula, Sparassis crispa, Blue Lactarius, Caesar's Amanitas, Chanterelles and a single Tawny Milkcap.

10-SkilletFull.JPG

Cast Iron, ready for the fire, a big dollop of butter buried in the middle. A most delicious meal complimented with red beans and rice, smoked sausage and a minced salad of a sliced Vidalia onion and a fresh picked tomato. As the sun set the horseflies relented and we enjoyed a comfortable evening with distant storms rumbling.

#33 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Nice shot of the Alabama Shiner, and those mushrooms make for a cool-looking meal.

#34 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Isaac... those Bamas are hard to catch with my camera... it's not sensitive enough but i keep trying. I almost want to believe that Alabama Shiners will breed near year round. Only in the hottest summer temps do they seem to slide to plain 'ol minner. They are truly the Kings of the Shiners in the Conasauga.
Those mushrooms were beautiful and wonderful. A pretty colored variety. I don't see many mushrooms in Tates Hell but we will keep our eye out. I did find a tree full of Oysters once and cooked them for Todd, Ranger Bob and their ladies... along with Redfin Pickeral that we had seined... from the tannic swampy ditches filled with mutlicolored everything fishy..
3 more weeks til my departure. Bryce may come down early to help me setup, maybe you can consider as well? Scouting, logistics. We will stay at my friend's house a day or 3 before everyone's arrival Sunday afternoon. Really glad you are going. A wonderful opportunity for anyone who wants to experience the Florida Panhandle, economical and staying in a beach house on Florida States Marine Lab. Wowwee...

#35 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Man, those mushrooms look GOOD! Hope your approach to identifying "what's eatable an' what's ain't" is more sophisticated than my grandparents' was. They were reasonably accomplished at id-ing mushrooms, and had a guide. Every once in a while though, they'd get stumped by one. Their fool-proof way to determine if the mystery mushroom was edible? One of them would eat part of it, and one wouldn't. If the eater got sick, it was inedible. If not, it was noted for future consumption, and whoever hadn't eaten the fungus in question had to do the honors next time around! (The Age of Litigation probably doesn't allow for that on school trips, huh?)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#36 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

You have got to be kidding.
Seriously... your grandparents?
There are old mushroom hunters, and there are foolish mushroom hunters. There are very few old, foolish mushroom hunters.
NEVER EVER take a chance eating a mushroom you are not 100% certain of.
NEVER.
Lots to learn about mushrooms, lots of variables, but that rule is number one.

#37 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

You have got to be kidding.
Seriously... your grandparents?
There are old mushroom hunters, and there are foolish mushroom hunters. There are very few old, foolish mushroom hunters.
NEVER EVER take a chance eating a mushroom you are not 100% certain of.
NEVER.
Lots to learn about mushrooms, lots of variables, but that rule is number one.

I do not argue that point at all. Truth be told, I have yet to ever eat a wild mushroom id'ed only by myself. My grandparents were tough, take life as it comes at you, Greatest Generationers. Food was food while they were kids in the Great Depression, and although they never suffered like many did, their families weren't above taking what the land offered. That frugal grow it/make it yourself mentality stuck with them. In their defense, they came from generations of farmers, hunters, fishers, and trappers. My guess is they had a pretty good idea of what to look for, and a very narrow definition of unknown mushrooms they'd try. I always loved the story the way it was, and never pushed deeper into it no matter how many times I heard it.

That defense made; I still agree with you 100%, if one is not 100% certain, don't eat that fungus. And even if you are 100% certain, a 2nd and 3rd opinion can't hurt!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#38 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Very well said Matt. I'm sure they were enjoying telling the story with a smile.
They sound like wonderful Grandparents.

I have a little story too...

After the SC convention, while hiking with our host Chip Rinehart along with a young lady NANFan we came across a big flush of Yellow Chanterells, a highly prized edible. I filled my shirt full and after inquiring suggested we take them to Chip's Mother's nearby home where i asked for an old toothbrush, cast iron, and a dollup of butter. Soon they were simmering with a wonderful fruity apricot aroma in the kitchen. I forked some onto each of their plates and after a blessing they sang of how good they were... but noticed i had not eaten any. "Why had i not tried them?" Chip asked. I replied... "I NEVER eat wild mushrooms". You could have heard a pin drop, all mouths agape!
We had a wonderful lunch that day. Chip's mother opened up canning jars of homemade pickles, South Carolina sweet tea, fresh sandwiches and our Chanterells.
I remember envisoning Chip at the age of 5 running round and round through the house and kitchen that he was raised in as his Mother spoke of memories.
I miss Chip.

#39 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Rattleheaded Copper Moccasin

Around here when folks yell out... "Get back... it's a Water Moccasin!"... it's generally a Northern Banded Water Snake.
Well this time it was not! Swimming across the snorkel hole and to "our" side of the river.
Look how wide and high out of the water he glides.
A pretty snake but a bite will sure send you to the hospital.
I am quite suprised to see one swimming.

RHCM-Snake.JPG

#40 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

They are beautiful snakes. But they are SO cryptic on the ground - it would be very easy to walk right up on one. I've seen plenty of them around my home place.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users