3,560 Gallon Native Fish Pond

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Gotta love Nocomis! And I love the success you are having with your pond.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#42 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

Very cool, Yeahson.  One envious NANFA member over here. 

Nick L.

#43 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

Make that two envious NANFA members. This has me rethinking my Koi pond. It wouldn't take much to make it suitable for natives. Thanks!!
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#44 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Must be great to see the success after so much hard work. I am impressed as heck at how many of the species have spawned. Did you do anything to make some "safer for fry" zone? Unlike most natural ponds, you don't have any distinct shallow areas. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#45 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Thank you all for the kind comments. Michael, I certainly love Nocomis, but they have gotten to be a bit overwhelming! Doug, as for fry safe havens, there are a lot of nooks and crannies between rocks in the riffle section, as well as in the structure of the plant shelves. Water lillies seemed to be greatly helpful for my Blackstripe Topminnows, which spawned consistently for the entire summer. They did suffer more considerable predation, especially once the fall arrived and the surface growth became less dense, but if I had my fry system ready at the time, I could have pulled out several dozen. There was also very dense growth of a plant that looks very similar to najas grass, but showed up on its own last year and returned this spring. Between those two, I had really great fry survival rates. Cyprinella fry seemed to suffer the greatest predation, and I think that primarily has to do with the fact that they tend towards more open water.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#46 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

That's awesome! Any darter fry survive?

#47 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

I saw maybe 3 or 4 juvenile darters, but considering they are usually 4 feet below the surface, there very well could be more.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#48 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

Very cool.  I want one  O:)

Kevin Wilson

#49 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:14 AM

Awesome! 

Have you considered some sort of floating plant to help Cyprinella fry survive? Maybe plant some water lilies in pots near the surface so they can be contained but will reach the surface and provide cover. 

#50 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thank you! I do have water lillies growing from 3 feet under the surface. They return every year and the shoots create a tangle of cover, but the Cyprinella fry seem to tend towards open water.

#51 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Unbelievable. That is awesome. I'm jealous. Saving this thread for when I have a yard and win the lottery.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#52 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:38 AM

Kinda makes my plastic kiddie pool Gambusia preserve that much more embarrassing! Great work, Yeahson!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#53 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

One day Son of Yeah may see a real cement pond.

:)

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#54 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thank you both! Don't be embarrassed, Matt! Tub ponds are great, and I would like to have more going myself. I hope to try out Bluefin Killies in a tub next summer. 

Casper, I would love to come see yours some time! I think I may be making an SE trip next year, so I will be in touch.

#55 ponds

ponds
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

Construction of pond project is good. I too think of building of the pond. I shall buy tomorrow all pond kits

Edited by ponds, 27 November 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#56 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:27 AM

The pond is doing well once again. With a new pump, it has gone from a pond to a raceway. The Blackstripe Topminnows are less than pleased, but the newly added Redside Dace and Rainbow Shiners are joyous! I really would like to get some more Hydrophlox. Redlip Shiners and Whitefinned Yellowfin Shiners are both on my list of wants. The Stonerollers and tubercled and about to spawn, and the Horneyhead Chubs are close behind. I've spotted a few plump Rainbow Darters, but haven't made out any males yet. The Bleeding Shiners and Bluntface Shiners have been running up and down the pond, chasing potential mates. Ahh, that time of year again! Hopefully I can get some pictures up this weekend.

On a down side, I think the water is a bit faster than my Backwater Longears really like. I am heading down to Missouri soon, so I may have to pick up some of those higher gradient Ozark Longears. If anyone is interested in some of my Backwater Strain, let me know. I have young from 0.5-1 inch available, as well as a trio of adults.

#57 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

What part of Minnesota are you from? I live in Moorhead...I was wondering if you had any crayfish

#58 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

I am from the SE corner, and no, no crayfish. They are far too destructive to keep with anything else living, whether it is plants or fish.

#59 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

oh, true, I am setting up a 10 gallon with a long and rocks for either a Rusty, Northern, Signal or Red Swamp crayfish. just search "new cray" and you will find it.

#60 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

Cool. Sounds like lots of good things are going on in your pond/raceway. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users