Many minnow questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

1. I was wondering about the temperature range of a Southern Redbelly Dace - Chrosomus erythrogaster

2. would this be ok with a small warmouth that will move out soon and a river goby?

3.Another question I have is how do you get fathead minnows to spawn?

4. Also How fast do fathead minnows grow?

I have kept some before, but they only grew 2 inches then stopped after they were put in a pond.

5. what is the best true native dace for a room temp aquarium?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Gheesh, that's a lot.

1. Room temp and below.
2. Probably, as long as they are very small, and being moved soon.
3. I do it in my pond. They spawn on the undersides of flat surfaces. I put tiles in my pond for this reason. I have never tried in a tank.
4. They don't get too much larger.
5. SRBD. Probably like room temp more than mountains or northerns, but the other two will be comfortable as well.

If you are into SRBD, you really can't go too wrong. Very simple, very easy. Will take to flake food right away. If you feed them some live, and keep the temps fairly cool, they will stay pretty colorful. Great fish.

Why the interest in fatheads? Not a particularly attractive fish, but they have their merits, I suppose. Breeding males look pretty cool.

#3 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Would 72 degrees work for a SRBD? Also I am interested in fathead minnows because i thought that a lot of minnows look cool and Its funny when I go to a store and no one buys minnows, but everyone buys one feeder goldfish in the tank next to them. Another reason is they are from what I know, pretty hardy. Would a central mudminnow eat a SRBD? I was also planning to get some central mudminnows also.

#4 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

72 degrees is fine for SRBD. I have some that are 5 1/2 years old that have been at that temperature!

Central mudminnows won't eat SRBD that are remotely adult sized.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

72 is fine.

Unless you had large mudminnows, and tiny SRBD, you would do just fine.

#6 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Minnows

Southern Redbelly Dace - Chrosomus erythrogaster

Price: $4.00 each
"Very easy to keep in aquariums and do well in a community setting. This is a peaceful schooling fish found in pools of small streams."
Current Size: 1 - 2 in
Maximum Size: 3.5 in
Posted Image

Central Mudminnow - Umbra limi

Price: $4.00 each
"Unique fish that has the ability to breath air from the surface much like a betta. Feeds on a variety of foods and can be trained to take anything from pellets and frozen foods to even very small fish."
Current Size: 1 - 2 in
Maximum Size: 5 in
Posted Image

Buying from here. I might request a 2inches+ of all the fish. Are mudminnows territorial or fish that like groups? I was thinking about getting 3 mudminnows and 5 dace.

http://www.zimmerman....com/Price.html

Edited by Leo1234, 19 November 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#7 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

From my experience mudminnows are neither territorial nor social. They just sit around in vegetation all day until they see food. They're really cool to watch when they get excited about food though.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

One doesn't purchase SRBD. One collects them [-X

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Well you won't go wrong with who you are ordering from, and really there has to be a VERY drastic difference in size for a mudminnow to eat a SRBD. And like Ben said, mudminnows are very calm. They are not aggressive, prefer to lie in wait until food or prey comes along. Look at the photos you posted, look at the mouth of a mudminnow. Not made for eating fish above fry size or a bit larger if your mudminnows get to be 5 inches or so.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

One doesn't purchase SRBD. One collects them [-X

Southern California. Collecting them might be rather costly.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

We're talking about MONEY?! My oh my :-)

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

What is the world coming to, when one can simply PURCHASE fishes one would normally travel 2000 miles to see?

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

We are not all loaded like you Martin.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, I am loaded all right! With what, I will leave to the imagination!

#15 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

Speaking of fathead minnows, they are quite easy to spawn in an aquarium setting. I witnessed Fathead minnows guarding large patches of eggs on the underside of rocks in a nasty, giant aquarium that hadn't seen maintenance in years... these fish were approximately 4" in size too so they do have the potential to get bigger. It's nearly a "just add water" sort of thing. Keep yours well fed (even on flakes and pellets, the occasional live/frozen treat will make them bonkers too), and make sure you have both genders. The latter should be obvious when they are at least 1.5" and healthy - females are plain and chubby with a horizontal line and males take on a patchy look with swollen heads topped by tubercles. Now build a rock cave/cranny, preferably one with a flat underside on top, or just a PVC tube if you don't mind the look. Watch the dominant male take up residence under the rock and guard it from other fishes. Check on the underside of the top of the cave with a flashlight daily after you've had the fishes comfortably set in, especially if the resident male seems to be rubbing something with his head. Care and feeding the newly hatched fry is the trickier part but since you only asked how to spawn them I'm guessing you are already familiar with how fish fry are typically raised. Best of luck!

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

For what its worth, SRBD are stream dwelling inhabitants. Mudminnows are not. As mentioned before, they prefer calm water where they can sit around in vegetation all day. Your dace would love to frolic in a good current provided by a powerhead. Mudminnows would not. The dace would do fine without the current, but you'll find that most enthusiasts on this forum like to provide each species with an artificial environment that closely resembles the fishes natural one. If you're going to be purchasing fish, might as well get some darters to go with your dace which would also love current.
Nick L.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

SRBD are stream dwellers, but around here the small streams that hold them all but dry up during the summers, so they are left with just the deeper pools and no current. Though they may like current, I don't think it is at all critical. So if I were to set up a tank housing SRBD and mudminnows, I would feel confident that both species would be fairly content with the amount of current produced by a HOB or canister filter. Thumbs up on the darters. A few darters would spruce up the tank nicely, slack water darters like Johnny's or Iowa's come to mind.

#18 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

There is some current from the filter, but not a lot. The currend does not bother my young warmouth (who is going lo leave very soon) which I know are from swamps and places with little or no current. So it probably will not bother the mudminnows, or dace about the little current

#19 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

A quick reminder about SRBD that I don't think has been mentioned yet. They'll need a lid. They do jump. .......too, too many dried up dace.
Other than that, they're fun and easy. One of my favorites.

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Yes, lid good, dehydrated dace bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users