Sculpin breeding coloration

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Today I was out collecting crayfish from the effluents of a trout hatchery. Sculpin were abundant and very much in breeding mode with some of the females about ready to pop. Some of the males, just before being flushed from breeding cavities appeared to have aquamarine heads. If so, then they can drop the coloration very quickly because it was not apparent when they were captured.

#2 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Which species of sculpin? I've seen male knobfin sculpin in the Current River with a lot of color.

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

I have seen knobfin sculpins with blue/green on the head, especially around the mouth. I have always been impressed with how nice their colors and patterns can be - much more colorful than bandeds. There's lots of variation too. The substrate certainly seems to have an impact on their coloration. Here are a couple of photos from last spring:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

Awesome shots!

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

Absolutely fantastic pictures, Isaac! That is one grumpy-looking fish. Although I am useless to answer Centrarchid's queery, I can at least better understand his question now.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

WOW! Isaac you certainly have a knack for underwater photography.

#7 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Those really are spectacular Isaac. I suppose it really helps to have crystal clear water as well.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

That is the color pattern although on some it appeared to cover entire head. When capturing them, they quickly paled to have only area immediately around mouth with the funky color.

#9 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

The males tend to look funky when spawning. A glowing grey/green/black thing.

Posted Image

Awesome, Isaac. The isolation you achieve is amazing. I want to learn your ways!

#10 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thanks all. Centrarchid, I can't recall seeing them with the entire head that color, but I have never observed them at the height of their spawning season. It's something I'll look for if I get into the water this winter.

Great photo Lance! I've admired your photos for a while now. If you're still in SE MO we are only 4-5 hours away from each other, so it wouldn't be too difficult to meet up sometime. There's some good stuff to see between here and there in the spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users