Any natives for tanks without airation?

28 replies to this topic

#21 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I personally would not add any ghost shrimp to a tank with the small fish species you are interested in keeping. I know you are not worried about a lot of fry recruitment in the main display tank, but it will be much closer to zero if you have shrimp in there constantly sweeping for food. I've seen ghost shrimp take down fish as big and slightly bigger than they are when hungry. A 1" fish isn't much of a match.

Your set up and species list is nice and I'm sure could be done successfully. I would personally leave the shrimp out.
Nick L.

#22 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Didn't imagine a paleomentes would be able to take adult fish, but I understand...I'll leave them out.

#23 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Out of curiosity, but are there any other Florida fish that would work in an elassoma tank?

#24 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think Lucania goodei would be a possibility.

#25 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, I've realized that building a tank is not merely slightly expensive - its quite a bit more expensive to build a small tank than to buy one. So, I think I may revise my plans so as to use a 20 long instead. Would this still work?

#26 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Unfortunately, I've realized that building a tank is not merely slightly expensive - its quite a bit more expensive to build a small tank than to buy one. So, I think I may revise my plans so as to use a 20 long instead. Would this still work?

Work without electricity? My bucket tanks are only electric-free because it's a cheap way to generate lots and lots of fry. But you want a display tank, right? Electrically driven water movement would help you keep it heavier stocked, if you choose a community setup with 30 or so one inch long inhabitants. Yes, a 20 long would work for elassoma and leptolucania and other fish on display. But in truth the only way to really see elassoma dance all day long is to house them species only. And you're still going to need a second tank for breeding, 'cause they eat their own fry if left with them.

#27 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

...not sure what to say. What I will say is that, irregardless of the tank's dimensions, I will be using a bucket tank for breeding the elassoma. The main tank may or may not have airation depending on the build - if I manage the 48 incher it likely would not, but the 20 long will probably need aeration.

While I'm at it, does anyone know of a place where I could get custom cut glass?

#28 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

While I'm at it, does anyone know of a place where I could get custom cut glass?

Does it have to be glass on all four sides? The only side you're going to look through is the front, right? A lot of people who build custom tanks choose to use waterproof wood as the side, back, and bottom walls so that they only pane of glass they have to pay for is the front.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyANDq_x_s

For example, check out Skipjack's tank:
Posted Image
http://forum.nanfa.o...r-construction/

#29 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I know what you mean. Glass for a tank can be expensive if you have to buy it all... but I would still say that you do not need the electricity for a 20 long if you stay with your "heavily planted smaller swamp fishes plan"
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users