black crappie problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Yup and it won't stop bullying other fishes.

#22 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

k, I will TRY to find a way to get rid of it. I'm not going to kill it, and I'm not releasing any fish. Hopefully my lfs will take it... I just find it so weird that he is only mean when I'm right by the tank and not when I'm in the other room looking at the tank where he can't see me. I honestly can't do anything easily. By the way, how will he be able to be confident if the longear will chase him off if he starts to be aggressive to him. The longear is 6in.

#23 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

SMB are always that mean. And your kill option may be your only one option. Perhaps you shouldn't gotten SMB in first place.

#24 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

There's a pattern here. The fish which are getting bullied are the ones least inclined to be bullies themselves. In fish or people, no bully picks a victim that fights back effectively.

#25 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Years ago I had a 50 gallon breeder tank with 4 or 5 decent size sunfish between 4 -5 inches I think. Bluegill, pumpkinseed
and redbreast or maybe green. I added a 3 inch largemouth bass and he took the center of the tank driving the sunfish into
the corners.
Then I added a 2 inch small mouth bass and the sunfish had to share the corners with the largemouth even though the small
mouth was by far the smallest fish in the tank he constantly harassed all other fish.

#26 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I got a small mouth bass so it would not eat my other fish like a large mouth bass would, and I wanted a bass just because they had a lot of personality... I guess I didn't expect the nicest of the 2 I got was going to turn out aggressive. The aggressive one of the two died when one of my plants melted, killing only one bass and almost the other. Before the 1st one died, the nice one would even school with my last creek chub that was 3in at the same time and be around the bluegills. Now he is mean, but is not as aggressive to the crappie since I posted this thread. I'm guessing that the crappie is doing slightly better since he is healing up sort of. Also I got 2 bass since I didn't know if they would do that great in 2 day shipping. so, are large mouth better? I just want a bass, but not one that will kill my fish. I guess that won't happen until I'm done with high school and collage since I will be on my own and be able to get a large aquarium for just bass.

#27 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

There is no bass that will not kill your fish. They are all aggressive. If you do decide to get a bass again and put it in it's own tank, get a Coosa or Redeye Bass. They stay smaller and can do better in a 180 gallon. They would still be aggressive and unkeepable with most fish, but they would be happier than a LMB or SMB would.

#28 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Is there a way to distract the bass? I read that with some fish if you get a school of minnows it would distract the fish from being aggressive. I know minnows would not work since they would be eaten fast, but is there a species of fish that would work so the bass could not focus on one fish?

#29 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

now if you are going to start making recommendations... I will have to say go warmouth... skip to the video about 1:55-2:15 and see those two strikes and you will think bass... I recently moved this guy to a 58 gallon show tank and he is very happy and still growing. As soon as I get the new LED lights on his tank (stupid fluorescent failed and is being replaced) I will GoPro him again.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#30 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I very much agree with a Warmouth over any Bass. They are gentle giants towards tank mates (As long as the tankmates don't fit in their massive mouths) yet they eat just like a bass. I think a planted 180 would work great for a Warmouth, a Crappie, and your other Lepomis as long as you take the time to make sure the Crappie gets fed.

#31 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

How many black crappie and warmouth can be together? I will ask the only lfs I know of that will take natives if they will take my bass. I was wondering why the bass is hiding all of a sudden. The bass only comes out when I go up to the tank now. Also how fast will the bass and the warmouth grow? I don't know why hthe bass is all of a sudden reverting back to being passive, then all of a sudden is aggressive the next day for 2 hours. The bass is usually only aggressive at feeding time, so I usually feed him first then feed the other fish while he is distracted. If the bass is as aggressive as I'm told, why is the warmouth the only one trying to hide, even though it would hide before I got the bass. Also why does the black crappie never swim away from the bass? I do not know, but he seems different from what I hear about bass.

I do not know how long It will take, but I will try to get rid of him. I do not think he deserves to die for my actions, and I will not kill him. I want him to at least live in a better home than what I can provide.

#32 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

A local pond owner may be interested in your fish.

#33 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

If you're going to be seriously into fish you will inevitably experience having to dispose of unwanted fish. Try tank raising all the fry from a spawning pair of Sunfish! I don't see much difference between letting a bunch of them get eaten, consciously using them as food, or euthanizing them. Getting past that hurdle will make your fishkeeping less stressful.

#34 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I avoid killing fish by selling them. I list fish on aquabid, take them to my local fish club's monthly meeting, and I guess you could list your fish for free to a good home on craiglist.
How I ship fish: http://forum.nanfa.o...ow-i-ship-fish/
I shipped three boxes out just this morning on my way to work.

^by the way, sort of horrifying to hear talk of killing fry from a spawn. That's like flushing dollars down the toilet. List them on aquabid and learn how to ship, and instead of corpses you could have cash. Normally I don't talk about how much money I earn (I despise bragging), but if you're killing the baby fish I think it's time to share. I counted 75 elassoma okefenokee juveniles from the bucket tank last week. I listed two groups of six juveniles on aquabid. The auctions are $15 shipping + the high bid, which is currently at $37 on both auctions and there are still a few days left. There is no shipping risk, because USPS shipping is insured, and total shipping cost ranges depending on the buyer's location from $9 to $15 including cellulose insulation and a heat pack. Don't tell the buyers this (they shouldn't expect it), but I in general include one or two more fish in the bag than they bid for. So that means at 8 fry per auction with let's say $20 minimum auction sale price, which I expect to get, that's 9 auctions * $20 = $180. At the current auction high bid price, that's 9 * $37 = $333. My point? It is a waste of money to kill fry from a spawn. Sell them instead. Fish lives have monetary value.

#35 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Erica, sometimes it may be the only one option is by put the fish down. Look at the unwanted tropical fishes on Craigslist and some tropical fish are in our lakes/rivers because they got released by people that believe releasing them in lakes is better option than the kill option. Or let the fish suffered because someone cannot find them a new home.

By the way your post is idiotic and selfish, it's a natural for fish fry got eaten or culled out. Even most serious fish breeders fed their own fry to other predatory fishes. No need to produce more unwanted fish. Just let you know that sunfish have huge spawn of fry unlike your pygmy sunfish, therefore you have easy time to sell the pygmy sunfish. Serious breeders have their own ethical practice. So don't bash them because you don't agree with their practice.

There is a good chance that the LFS may not take the natives in due to California's laws.

EDITTED: Mods, sorry please excuse me for my behavior.

Edited by butch, 24 March 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#36 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

I am absolutely against releasing fish into the wild. Please note that post #3 on this topic was me saying, quote:
"Whatever you do, do not release them into the wild. They can be carrying pathogens on them invisibly that can make the fish already in those waterways sick. For example ich and mycobacterium can remain present but invisible for years before showing symptoms. You can't tell just by looking at them what your fish are carrying."

Also, I do cull my fry. Deformed fish are killed on sight.

#37 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

And I am absolutely against someone bashing on another person for made a personal choice for what to do with unwanted fish fry.

#38 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

I agree with Subrosa. You will eventually have to euthanize some fish, it is part of the game. The sooner you get used to it the less stress it will cause you. I still think an owner of a private pond might be happy to stock the bass.

#39 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

There can be a legal problem with stocking captive reared fish. The legal status of parents must be taken into consideration. Do they have documentation indicating they are from a commercial fish farm? Where they collected and documented by commercial fisherman?

#40 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

If I recall correctly, he purchased the fish from a local hatchery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users