some of my favorite shots

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

I've upgraded to the canon A 560. Basically the same camera but more pixels and better video.

Uland takes some very terrific photos. I know that the digital cameras have made it pretty easy for us but it takes patience and skill to get the quality photos that he gets.

#22 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

Uland how and what are you using to get your white background?

#23 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:04 AM

Golly Fritz, I'm blushing... :blush:

Anyone that's sampled with me knows I'm a bit difficult about recording photos. "Oh, put that in the bucket...I need a photo of that"......"don't throw that back! I don't have a picture of that yet!" These words are often inflicted upon sampling partners. Thanks to all that have endured and allowed me to take photos. Without you, I'd not have any fish to photograph.

Uland how and what are you using to get your white background?

I make tiny acrylic tanks and then make small 1/8" thick acrylic plates to fit them. I then scuff the plates with #600 grit sandpaper and paint them with flat paint of any color I want. I tried black and still need to work on that a bit. White and gray seem to be the easiest to use in the field. I use the plates to align the fish and act as a background.

#24 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

Aye, so even the sunfish shots are in a tank with water?

#25 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

Aye, so even the sunfish shots are in a tank with water?

Yes. Just about all of the photos I take are in these tanks.

#26 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

I see, I always wondered how people did that.
I tried just setting them on a cooler lid for awhile and got a similar result but I jump in and out of the jon boat quite a bit making it hard to keep anything clean - fish would flop off, turn into a sandperch on the boat bottom, wash it off, wash the lid off, try again, ect.
Here's the face of a bluegill x redear the only one taking this way I have on my pc, amid the rubbermade symbol, it looks pretty similar if it was a bit more user friendly :roll:

Attached Files

#27 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

Do you have a picture of your setup?
I may try do something like that next year. I like that more professional look.

#28 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

#29 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

Lepisosteus platostomus Shortnose Gar

Attached File  1_032.jpg   21.18KB   0 downloads
Attached File  1_053.jpg   15.71KB   0 downloads

#30 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

Great pics, Uland. The darter is definitely my favorite.

#31 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

A couple Elassoma from the fishroom tonight.
E. evergladei
Attached File  1_073.jpg   25.99KB   3 downloads
E. zonatum
Attached File  1_124.jpg   32.16KB   1 downloads

#32 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

My first Leptolucania ommata photo
Attached File  Leptolucania_ommata__Pygmy_Killifish__2_.jpg   23.66KB   4 downloads

#33 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

How did I miss the shorty pics??? I'm upset with myself now...
He has colored up a bit since being picked up off the road.

Excellent Elassoma as well!!!!!

Edit: BTW could you send me the large file of the shorty pics.. I'd like to have those around for locality comparison purposes.

#34 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Wow....
The elassoma may have just shot to the top of my "must have" list!

#35 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Wow....
The elassoma may have just shot to the top of my "must have" list!

Same here!

#36 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

Nice job actually Uland... I have seen these fish in the wild and kept them in aquariums, and all the pictures I have ever seen do them no justice whatsoever... live and in person they are vivid lemn yellow, but never seem to photograph that way... but you got a good shot of the color pattern and the fins are great.

My first Leptolucania ommata photo
Attached File  Leptolucania_ommata__Pygmy_Killifish__2_.jpg   23.66KB   4 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#37 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

Some very nice profile shots!

Is the E. evergladei really that dark in person or is it a lighting issue?

What kind of a shooting set up with the lighting are you using in your fishroom? Obviously you aren't going to "squish and mount" the fish you are keeping at home... :)

#38 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

Some very nice profile shots!

Is the E. evergladei really that dark in person or is it a lighting issue?

Thanks Colby. The evergladei males are really that dark. Actually this specimen was a very old male and his colors are a bit less brilliant than they were this spring. I had to lighten up this photo a bit.

What kind of a shooting set up with the lighting are you using in your fishroom? Obviously you aren't going to "squish and mount" the fish you are keeping at home... :)

I used my field photo tanks and a little fluorescent light strip. I was in a bit of a rush since the Elassoma were sent off to a forum member for genetic work and I needed the Leptolucania photo for a killi talk I was putting on for a local club. The Elassoma and Leptolucania photos are of living fish. The photo tanks I use are a bit misunderstood. I regularly take photos of my "pets" (or photo specimens) and have never had any issues with harming fish. You really don't need to squeeze fish very hard to get a good shot. The tiny Leptolucania is just fine after the photo shoot.

#39 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hey Uland did you take a picture of a male Leptolucania as well or just the female? I had these fish one time and if I am recalling correctly the males have overly pointed posterior portions of the dorsal and anal fins and a lot more bright orange/yellow color on the fins.

#40 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

Brian,

I only took photos of one specimen female. I will take many photos as I increase photo period in the coming weeks/months of both sexes. Indeed the males have exaggerated dorsal and anal fins. They're also brilliant yellow with orange when in the mood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users