Good solo specimen for a 75?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

So, I have a 75 gallon in my office at work. Currently there are longear sunfish in there. The only problem is it's getting to be way too much work to keep the tank clean. Since its at work, I have to use the bucket method and I have to go to the other end of the building to fill up the buckets. It's way too time consuming. I'm thinking about taking them out and finding a good single specimen fish to keep in there. Just one longear looks kind of empty. Any ideas? I'm looking for a fish that will max out at around 12" or close to that.

#2 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

A LARGE Bluegill would be nice. Well not really, but if it's by itself who can it be not nice to?

#3 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

The problem with a bluegill is it could potentially outgrow the tank. I know I've caught a few that I think are much too big for a 75

Day5FishTanks. Any other native YouTubers on here?

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:31 AM

Due to their level of activity and general demeanor I wouldn't consider a Bluegill to have outgrown a tank until it was about as long as the shortest dimension, which on a 75 is 18". I've seen Bluegill over 12", but nowhere near 18" I'd sooner keep a 12" Bluegill in a 75 than a 9" Redfin Pickerel which would be my hands down choice if the tank was at least 72" long, and preferably a bit deeper at 24". But you would run into the problem of requiring at least as many water changes as you do now. If water changes are the issue, go with a heavily planted tank with a relatively small fish load. Make the tank itself the star, and the fish just supporting players.

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

Getting tired of that setup Aaron, toss me a few of those sunnies if you get rid of them :). It MAY outgrow the tank but I think a sinkage sauger maybe with a bullhead would make an interesting native tank, not something you see in them very often.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

Putting a fish into a tank you know it will outgrow without having a definite place to put it when it needs to be moved isn't very responsible, unless perhaps you plan to eat it.

#7 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

How about a DIY aquaculture system? You could have a decent fish load and hardly ever do water changes. As bonus you could reach over while you're working and grab some vegetables to snack on. :)

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Putting a fish into a tank you know it will outgrow without having a definite place to put it when it needs to be moved isn't very responsible, unless perhaps you plan to eat it.

Sander species taste good. Put some butter and bread crumbs in a pan with two fillets...yum! But yeah I didn't think a whole lot about that sauger idea, think I was still half asleep. Maybe like a rock bass, bluegill, and a bullhead.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

A 75gal isn't going hold a rock bass, a bluegill and a bullhead as all will outgrew 75gal with no problems. Rock bass can be intolerant towards to the tankmates, especially the bluegill. The bullhead is very messy fish that always producing lot of wastes. As for the sauger, they are terrible aquarium fish due to their inactive behavior.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

.... But you would run into the problem of requiring at least as many water changes as you do now. If water changes are the issue, go with a heavily planted tank with a relatively small fish load. Make the tank itself the star, and the fish just supporting players.

This is the only answer so far that has actually addressed the problem of having a low maintenance tank in an office. All y'all and your love for big game fish have me so confused.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

The question is a bit complicated, because it's asking for two things that are pretty much exclusionary of each other!

#12 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

This is the only answer so far that has actually addressed the problem of having a low maintenance tank in an office. All y'all and your love for big game fish have me so confused.

I addressed it!

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I addressed it!

You're totally right Ben... and I loved your answer!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

I think you may be better off with a planted tank and maybe some Enneacanthus. As Subrosa said, low maintenance and one large fish don't go together.

#15 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

I really like Ben's Idea- Aquaponics is Uber Cool.

#16 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Sounds cool. But it's in my office at work. Not gonna work.

#17 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll figure something out

#18 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

You could build a frame over the 75 gallon tank that wouldn't take up much more space than the tank by itself.

Posted Image

Image URL taken from this article:
http://www.businessi...o-garden-2014-3

#19 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

This wasn't what I had in mind when I said less work. I'm just looking for 1 fish to put in the tank. I'm looking for a "pet" fish

#20 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

I may just put a green sunfish in there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users