Photo

Nature Center Opportunity

59 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

First the filter was established form the turtle tank and the drift wood had been in there too... so they are certainly helping. We kept both from drying out during the shutdown... cleaned the filter some... but not too much... and added a good bit of Seachem Matrix (thanks Doug)... I also added Seachem Stability to re-jump start the biological if needed.

And the planting was not light all over... one end got a good bit of val... and it will be growing...
val.jpg

Maybe I should take some hornwort over there when I go today?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#22 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Great stuff, Michael and Company! You do us proud!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#23 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Great work! The tank looks good.

#24 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Maybe I should take some hornwort over there when I go today?

Nah, if you added bacteria in a bottle (Seachem Stability claims that's what it is), you should be good.

#25 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Super Cool.
Maybe you should do a monthly update on the setup, if it is practical for you. I would be most interested to see its development.
Great job volunteers.
Nice mix of fish.
What town is it in?

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Nah, if you added bacteria in a bottle (Seachem Stability claims that's what it is), you should be good.

Seemed OK, we had no deaths overnight. Considering collecting stress and the absolutely no acclimation, I am pretty pleased.

What town is it in?

Johns Creek, Georgia (it was previously an unincorporated part of the county and has only been an actual city for maybe the last 5 or so years)
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#27 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Seemed OK, we had no deaths overnight.

Um, that is absolutely not when ammonia kills fish. Ammonia does not kill the first night. Ammonia deaths usually start around one week after adding fish flakes for the first time.

Check out this graph: Day 14 is when the ammonia reached its maximum concentration in the uncycled tank.
Posted Image
http://img.photobuck...zps469bb6d9.png

But yeah, you added beneficial bacteria in a bottle. Assuming it wasn't past its expiration date (and assuming Seachem Stability works as well as API Quick Start; I have yet to see an experiment posted by the company like API did as I showed with the graph above), you should be good.

#28 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

My son can kill fish with ammonia on first night. Add a whole container of fish feed, ammonia spikes much higher than when cycling and wallah, stinky dead by morning.

#29 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Lol, yes, when you add an entire container of fish food you are no longer in the range of the average experience.

In general, ammonia deaths happen at the one week time point. That's not condescending, it's just a fact. Assuming they are not going to have problems because they survive the first night is not true. You know me Skipjack, so you must know I am at my most annoying when correcting an assumption that could lead to death. It's worth being perceived as annoying or bossy or condescending, etc names if the fish lives. As Michael said there was bacteria in a bottle used, so there is no further reason for me to comment here. That is a very nice setup, Michael. :)

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

That is a very nice setup, Michael. :)

Thanks, EL, I was more concerned about the collecting stress (we had too many fish in the cooler for my tastes) and related systemic failure... but I was certainly glad to see wild caught fish eat on the first or second day.

#31 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

Very nice looking set up and fish. The hard work and fun y'all put into it shows. Great outreach. Great job.

#32 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

What is the role of temperature in its affect on timing of ammonia spike? I am thinking along lines of temperature setups along the extremes of coldwater approaching 0 C and warmwater approaching 33 C. I have run both as static systems.

#33 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Looks awesome Michael.

#34 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

FYI, we are still supporting this tank... the plants have not done as well as I would like... but we have bluehead chubs and stonerollers and blackbanded darters growing large and fat... and we put some of the N. longirostris in there and they too are doing very well.  And we are still getting publicity for the Nature Preserve and for NANFA!  Click the link below.

http://northfulton.c...-GOING-ON,74558

#35 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

That's awesome, great publicity too. Updated photos of the tank?

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#36 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

Fantastic work again, Mr. Wolfe!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#37 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

This was in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today... more positive exposure for NANFA and out grant programs!

AJCnewspaper.jpg

#38 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

Very nice Michael.  That's just a few miles from my sister-in-law's new house.  I will have to go check it out the next time I am in town.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#39 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

Great.

We need to archive things like this somewhere. NANFA in the news link on the website at some point maybe.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#40 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

Also these...

http://www.northfult...-GOING-ON,74558

http://patch.com/geo...ng-fishy-going/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users