Tank Lids

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

Looks great. Very similar to mine. Yours sure looks better though. I didn't add any paint. Did you hinge the front?
I put a filter at the end like yours is. Is that some screen hanging in front of the filter in the water? I left screen hanging in the water in front of the filter for a while but unfortunately lost a fish as it swam between the filter and the screen to jump out. I eventually made small cuts in the screen on each side of the filter and kind of rested the middle piece on the filter and tucked the two side pieces to each side of it. On the positive side, If the screen is left in the water with the filter flowing on it and only occasionally cleaned it can grow a nice crop of algae and help with biological filtration of the tank much like an algae scrubber type filter.

Thanks for sharing.

#22 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Feed them cooked veggies every other day (peas, sweet potato, squash, green beans) and they might quit eating your plants.
Putting MORE plants in may help too.

#23 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Steve- thank you, I did not end up hinging the front. I screened the 4 sides and left the top totally open. I made it 9 inches tall hoping that nobody can jump that high :/. I screened the filter end as well but it's fastened top and bottom. The screen is about a 1/2 inch from the filter output and goes on a 45 degree angle over the top so hopefully any fish that attempt to jump it get bounced back in..lol

#24 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Gerald- My fish do get fed peas and zucchini but doesn't seem to deter them at all. I am unsure who is actually eating them. . Possibly all of them. This tank has been fully planted. There are a few species that are barely hanging on but most plants get destroyed almost instantly. Chain sword doesn't last a day before getting eaten and/or uprooted.
I may end up doing away with plants altogether in this tank as the ones that don't get fully devoured are awfully sad looking. It's a constant battle with my natives. Tropicals on the other hand, I'm trimming handfuls of plants back every week...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users