Photo

My First Natives :)

37 replies to this topic

#21 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

I have a rain barrel outside that's full of mosquito larvae..I just swish my aquarium net around in it for a a few seconds then put them in my tank. Darters go crazy for them.

I'd love to do that but my mom said no (for now), as soon as I'm old enough to move out I'm going take over my house with stuff like that :)
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#22 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

Congrats! Glad to hear it's going well.

Thanks!

Here's a picture of the tank and fish since I was to tired to post pics last night.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#23 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Fed them today and thankfully they all finally ate. Fed live brine shrimp and the darters immediatly spazzed out going crazy for it, the sunfish ate probably about 10, and the chub ate 3 i believe. Since then the sunfish had one or two in its mouth that it spit out so I hope he's just filled up and not not liking the food. Going to feed them live brine again tomorrow morning and try frozen bloodworms tomorrow night. I also noticed they're getting less and less skittish around people :)

PS, I do name my fish so if anybody has any name suggestions for any of them let me know.

Edited by Everything Fish, 04 June 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#24 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Great! My young nephew named all of the fish in his cichlid tank Birthday Card. How's that for a suggestion?

#25 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

Fed them this more live brine this morning and everybody ate but the chub who just swam through them. Going to try frozen bloodworms tonight unless anybody thinks I should keep doing live for a while.

@NotCousteau, well if it were my birthday I might consider that :). The male darter's name is Al, that was decided last night. Now we need the female darter's name next as well as the sunny and the chub.

#26 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

Update, the chub died Thursday evening from unknown causes but he wasn't looking to shabby the day before either (either he already has something or the sunfish really beat home down). Everybody is still eating good otherwise and I swear the sunfish has grown half an inch already :). Also, the sunfish's name is Apollo (Ap or AP for short) so now just a good name for the female darter.

#27 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

I'll be trying to get the sunfish on pellets in the next few days so what're some good pellet brands and types to try since there's none made specifically for sunfish?

#28 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

I would say chiclid gold.

#29 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

I would say chiclid gold.

Thanks, what size pellet should I go with? Looking at the hikari site I'm thinking start with mini since the sunfish is only 2.25-2.5'

#30 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

I would say baby or mini.

#31 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

At 2-2.5 inches my longears were already accepting the hikari gold medium sized pellets

#32 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Alright greens have bigger mouths so it will work well.

#33 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Picked up some hikari cichlid gold mini pellets for the sunfish. Also, long story short I'm going out fishing on Monday to catch a male green sunfish that I can out with the female (it'll be in quarantine until I move the darters out to give it more room). If I see any aggression between the two (sunfish) once I put them together then I'll put the female in my 75 gallon. This probably sounds out of nowhere so if you have time this explains why: http://www.monsterfi...s-Green-Sunfish

#34 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

Based on color, your green does look like a female, but don't be 100% sure. Males can wash out and look very similar. Also, there are some good guys on MFK, but in general, be careful taking advice from most posting in their native fish subforum. There are way too many "experts" over there.

#35 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Alright, and yeah I'm well aware of the "experts" on MFK :). Do you think two in a 30 long will be ok in terms of aggression? Like I said I can always move the female into my 75 worst comes to worst.

Edited by Everything Fish, 18 June 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#36 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

I would not hesitate at all. Green sunfish can certainly adapt to small bodies of water. Around here, almost every culvert with a 6 foot pool beneath it has a breeding population of 2- 3 inch adult green sunfish.

#37 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

I would not hesitate at all. Green sunfish can certainly adapt to small bodies of water. Around here, almost every culvert with a 6 foot pool beneath it has a breeding population of 2- 3 inch adult green sunfish.

Great!

#38 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:52 AM

My first native was a Green named "George". He surprisingly shared a 30 with a nondescript crawdad for about 2 years. He ate pretty much anything, and the crawdad cleaned up after him. George was released back into the wild before I knew that such things were inadvisable. I forget what happened to the crawdad - I think he dried up on the floor or something. That was a long time ago. I ended up giving the tank and stand to a young couple.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users