Rock bass crappies and sunnies

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Oh yeah... I kinda decided on 3 green sunnies and 2 rock bass(depending on if I can catch them).. In either a 4o breeder, a 40 long or a 55 long. ight now my head tell me eitehr the 40 breeder or a 55 long. I'm not sure though.I will make a stand with wood and sink cutouts as the top. I will also probably through in a madtom if I can get ahold of one, and a common species of crayfish. The crayfish will help clean the bottom correct? The substrate will be sand with some smooth rocks/pebbles thrown in. It will also probably have a fake stump or a wood strucuture of some sort and have plenty of fake plants. Any advice on the layout??? I know green sunnies prefer heavully weeded areas and rockbass will live anywhere but prefer rocky/gravel bottoms(in my experience)

#42 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Oh yeah... I kinda decided on 3 green sunnies and 2 rock bass(depending on if I can catch them).. In either a 4o breeder, a 40 long or a 55 long. ight now my head tell me eitehr the 40 breeder or a 55 long. I'm not sure though.I will make a stand with wood and sink cutouts as the top. I will also probably through in a madtom if I can get ahold of one, and a common species of crayfish. The crayfish will help clean the bottom correct? The substrate will be sand with some smooth rocks/pebbles thrown in. It will also probably have a fake stump or a wood strucuture of some sort and have plenty of fake plants. Any advice on the layout??? I know green sunnies prefer heavully weeded areas and rockbass will live anywhere but prefer rocky/gravel bottoms(in my experience)

Depending on the sizes of all involved, the madtom and/or crayfish may well end up as food.

#43 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

I know the crayfish would probably be to big for the sunfish to get in their mouths, but I'm pretty sure rock bass could eat it sooner or later if I get a smaller one. I will probably get an adult crayfish. (3-5 inches) And I don't think there will be too many problems. I am more afraid if I put a larger one in it would eat my sunfish, Both of which are under2" and have to size on them yet. I don't know if I could find a madtom yet and I don't really want to have a fish shipped to me.

#44 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

I know the crayfish would probably be to big for the sunfish to get in their mouths, but I'm pretty sure rock bass could eat it sooner or later if I get a smaller one. I will probably get an adult crayfish. (3-5 inches) And I don't think there will be too many problems. I am more afraid if I put a larger one in it would eat my sunfish, Both of which are under2" and have to size on them yet. I don't know if I could find a madtom yet and I don't really want to have a fish shipped to me.

As far as the rockbass eating the crayfish I'll add the crayfish after the fish are trained to prepared fish.

#45 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

First I'm also 14. Glad to see someone else interested as a kid. I have a four inch rockbass and have had him for 2 years. Do not keep two in the same tank. THey will dystroy each other. Mine goes bizerk trying to attack his reflection in the glass. I'd hate to see what he would do to a real one. Also, rockbass are very agressive once they pass the three inch mark. He is the only thing in the tank and is so agressive that I'm afraid to even put a bullhead in with him. Green sunnies probably would work but I can't catch any large enough to fend for themselves. DO not get a crayfish. I once had a need for one but they are boring and create a mess in the tank. They bulldose your landscape and may kill a fish to olny eat a portion of it. Definatly not worth it. They work well for bait though! :smile: I do not believe that you have mentioned your method of filtration for this tank. What is your plan?

p.s. A fish will never be truly trained to take food and will always exhibit their natural behavior so don't count one the crayfish living. (That is if you make the mistake of keeping one.)

#46 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

I decided against the crayfish. I have to find the rockbass here, they are pretty uncommon and only found in one river and no lakes here to my knowledge. I'll be keeping 2 green sunfsih 1 pumpkinseed and 1-2 rockbass in a 40 gallon tank It has an undergravel filter, a biowheel, and a spnge filter. The UGF I have has a total of four air pumps in it. My tank has natural colored gravel, some rose quarts from the woods/river near my house, and it has some plastic plants. I will also be adding like 24-36 ghost shrimp soon. The only fish currently in my aquarium is a green sunfish atm.

#47 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

You need to go looking for rockbass in June or so. THat is when I fing all of the two to three inchers. DO you have any rocky, cold rivers nearby. If you hit a good spot you will almost definatly catch more than one. But really don't put two in the same tank unless you want to take a chance and try it. Definatly make sure that you have enough cover. Filtration sounds great!
Good Luck! :-P

#48 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Thanks, There is enough cover in there and I will have a large feeeder minnow/shrimp population to help keep them busy. I know my tank is a little overstocked but the filtration is adequate to handle the load. We have a river where I caught my one and only rockbass from my area. I have caught others in mass numbers on a lake in anotehr state though.

What's your method to catch them on hook n' line. I usually use a slip float with a jig and waxworm.

#49 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Actually I use a net to catch them but thats because the river is quite shallow. I usually bring a friend and corner them near shore or under a rock. But I guess a really small hook would work. You could also try a fly fishing lure since they have really small hooks. I've caught small sunfish with one before. I'm glad to hear that you decided on olny one rockbass. Sounds like your tank will work out well!

Here is a pic of my rockbass!

Sorry i'm not the best photographer.

Attached Files

#50 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

I didn't "decide on one, I have only caught one in my area before, and that was last year. Yours must still be pretty young he's pretty pale. Or do they just get like that when in the aquarium?

#51 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

My rockbass changes colors a lot and gets pretty dark when there is live food in the tank. He gets almost black sometimes with a really distinct pattern. I do have light colored gravel in the tank and the lighting kinda highlights it. Don't ask me what causes the color change but he really isn't that young. I've had him for two years and hear was probably a yearling when I caught him. He's a great fish though.

#52 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

My tank gravel is pretty dark and the plants are all dark green/red will that help the colors look their best?

#53 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

It could but maybe not. It also depends on the fishes mood. My rockbass gets dark and gets a very distinct pattern when their is live food in the tank.

#54 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hey, I'm 14 too! It's awesome there are actually teenagers involved with this kind of stuff. I thought I was the only kid into this stuff for a while...

#55 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

Same here... albeit from my town I think I'm probably one of the few if not the only one who does this :)

#56 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

Yea me too but I've got two friends who also love doing this stuff. Its pretty sweet.

#57 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

I am so glad there are kids like you guys who are getting interested in native fish and native habitats. It gives me hope for the future and, if I'm having a hard day, makes me feel like my natural resources work is more worthwhile. I hope you keep your love of nature for your whole lives.

Also, here's a thought - you may be interested in starting a club at your school. That way there would be kids locally for you to "talk fish" with and go collecting. Heck, your school may even let your club set up a native habitat tank as an educational exhibit!

#58 Guest_Artemis_*

Guest_Artemis_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

That sucks, i got my 55 for $250!!! Stupid expensive lfs.

Don't green sunnies get bigger than longears, pumpkinseeds, an' blluegill???

I'm young too...and have been swarmed violently into the hobby by a friend. I have dozens of tanks now...and now I'm interested in natives!

#59 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

I am so glad there are kids like you guys who are getting interested in native fish and native habitats. It gives me hope for the future and, if I'm having a hard day, makes me feel like my natural resources work is more worthwhile. I hope you keep your love of nature for your whole lives.

Also, here's a thought - you may be interested in starting a club at your school. That way there would be kids locally for you to "talk fish" with and go collecting. Heck, your school may even let your club set up a native habitat tank as an educational exhibit!

well I set up a 29tall in my science class room and got a bluehead chub,black crappie,a yellow perch and 3 golden shiners(all fish were juv.) worked great for about a week then my clasmates found where I kept the food and test kit then they used it for a trash can and every day I came by the tank and pulled pens,markers erasers tissues and all sorts of junk out of it when I cleaned it out at the end of the year I found more gross stuff then I had ever seen stuff I wont say on this site.
but thats greenville schools for you. most of my friends keep fish so we get together and sample the non trout streams in Greenville CO.

Rob

#60 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

...so we get together and sample the non trout streams in Greenville CO.

There's a Greenville in Colorado?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users