Tankmates For A Green

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I've got a single female green sunfish (about 2.5") in a 30 long (36" x 12" x 12") to itself. Well ever since I removed the Greenside Darters that were in with her, she's been acting very skittish. To the point that when I walk up to the glass she'll run and hide and I have to coax her to come out and eat for 10 minutes every feeding. Back when she had the darters in with her she was a glass banger ever since I got her! My theory is that since there's no tankmates her natural instinct (wild caught) would tell her that no other fish around means a predator and she may think that I and my cats that come up to watch her often are a threat that she can't escape.

So my plan is to get her a tank mate or two. I went out after a local fish club meeting at my local lake today to try and catch 3 or 4 creek chubs which are always plentiful in the lake but I could only land a 6" one and a 10" one. Yeah, it was actually 10"!!! Biggest chub I've ever caught of course when I'm in need of small ones :). So I went home with nothing. Which isn't a big problem since as of now my plan for tomorrow is to go to my best live bait drainage ditch where there is absolutely nothing (and I'm dead serious when I say nothing) but 2-4" creek chubs that hit like crazy on anything you toss in. I might actually take my trap instead since they aren't gamefish and see if I can get some without having to hook them. I'll probably take home at least 3 probably 4.

So does this sound like a good plan? 1 female green sunfish and 4 creek chubs in a 30 long? I realize the chubs will get to large and when they hit 6-7.5" I'll put them in my 75 which is a mixed tropical/native community if fish that outgrow my other tanks.

Unless somebody can suggest another local (around pittsburgh pa) fish that would be a better tankmate to make a green sunfish feel more secure. Id actually prefer to get a fish or multiple fish that wouldn't outgrow the tank but most minnows would get eaten and I don't want to get just one more sunfish. Just something to relax my green that won't harass her and won't get harassed.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Between greens and creek chubs you're playing with some serious bruisers. I'm not sure I could make an accurate prediction.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Between greens and creek chubs you're playing with some serious bruisers. I'm not sure I could make an accurate prediction.

Yeah I know I've got some mean fish. I've also got a few yellow perch in qt now that'll be going in my 75 eventually so it'll be amusing to see how they do with giant danios.

I'll just wait for some more responses before I go get anything,

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Any other opinions? I'll be going to get some chubs in a few hours as long as I don't get anybody saying it's a bad idea.

#5 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Maybe large madtomsnin your area or minnows for him to hunt.

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Only legal madtom local to my area is a stonecat and they get to big.

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Going to get some chubs in a bit. Keep putting it off because I don't want anything bad to happen but I'm not getting a lot of feedback so I'm just going to chance it. If she kills them then they were just some entertainment at the least.

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Well that local hole that I though housed only creek chubs apparantly has much more! I was catching 90% chubs but I brought water shoes this time and walked down to the lower end to find multiple species of darters, either a small yellow bullhead or a stonecat (took the bait twice but couldn't land it), and a bunch of sculpins! Landed a sculpin and put it in my bucket to take but I rethinked it and let it go since it'd probably eat the sunfish eventually. I'll be sure to go back with a net or two soon.

But anyway, on my way home with 4 creek chubs now. About 4.5-6"

#9 Guest_phreeflow_*

Guest_phreeflow_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Cool...cant wait to hear how it worked out

#10 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

They're getting along great as of now. Some dominance issues in the beginning but at this point the chubs are glassbanging handfeeders and the sunfish will slowly approach me. Only downside is the chubs are so quick to the food that the sunfish doesn't have a chance to get pellets so I now have to target feed her only frozen.

#11 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

Well that local hole that I though housed only creek chubs apparantly has much more! I was catching 90% chubs but I brought water shoes this time and walked down to the lower end to find multiple species of darters, either a small yellow bullhead or a stonecat (took the bait twice but couldn't land it), and a bunch of sculpins! Landed a sculpin and put it in my bucket to take but I rethinked it and let it go since it'd probably eat the sunfish eventually. I'll be sure to go back with a net or two soon.

But anyway, on my way home with 4 creek chubs now. About 4.5-6"

Always fun when you find more natives than you expected!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#12 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Always fun when you find more natives than you expected!

Yup, I wanted to go catch some darters with extremely small flies I tied the other day but I have a big fish auction to go to tomorrow and I want to see how much tank space I have left after that since there's always rare species there. I'm always looking to see if anyone brings anyone Southeast natives to these auctions, hasn't happened yet but I know it will soon :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users