Photo

Feeding Creek Chubs

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Just picked up 4 creek chubs tonight. Three are 5" and one is 6". They're sharing a 30 long with a 2.75" green sunfish as a tankmate. Yes I'm warfare the chubs can get to big, when they do I'll out them in their own 40 gallon or in my 75 with a bunch if other both native and tropical fish. The sunfish has been eating cichlid pellets mainly but also brine shrimp and bloodworms. What would be a good starter food for the chubs? I'll feed them tomorrow morning. They're already far more active than my original creek chubs I had a few months ago that died from getting beat up by my green sunnie so it's good that these ones are being peaceful between each other :)
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Ok well in an attempt to feed my green sunfish (who didn't eat tonight from stress) the chubs ate a good bit of frozen brine shrimp. Not very voraciously but they still ate it. Sunfish is also being more aggressive towards the chubs so hopefully they make it but otherwise they were a good workout since she used to just sulk all day. Both the chubs and the sunfish are now greeting me at the glass!

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

The chubs will likely eat flakes or pellets. Maybe get some of the large flakes since they are bigger.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

As you have seen already, I think you will have a harder time finding what they won't eat.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Great! They ate bloodworms this morning. They were again really slow to them and wouldn't eat them off the bottom but they all ate. Sunfish won't eat now though.

#6 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

I've also had some instances where Lepomis sunfish are less aggressive at meal time when living with larger aggressive minnows, namely creek chubs and striped shiners. You may eventually decide not to keep all 4 creek chubs in there for the duration. They grow fast and will become eating machines. I've had some success with feeding at two separate areas of the tank simultaneously to separate the fish, but I've never tried that many creek chubs at once with something else that eats the same food.

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

I've also had some instances where Lepomis sunfish are less aggressive at meal time when living with larger aggressive minnows, namely creek chubs and striped shiners. You may eventually decide not to keep all 4 creek chubs in there for the duration. They grow fast and will become eating machines. I've had some success with feeding at two separate areas of the tank simultaneously to separate the fish, but I've never tried that many creek chubs at once with something else that eats the same food.

Don't the chubs need to be in groups of at least 3-4?

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Noticing some tears in the dorsal fin of some of the chubs that weren't there yesterday. Don't think the sunfish like having all these new guys suddenly appear all at once. Going to try flake tonight and hope somebody eats it.

#9 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

While were on the topic of feeding. As of now, nobody in my riffle tank eats dry. I've got 2 rainbow darters, 2 Greenside darters, 1 Pugnose minnow, and 1 bluefin killifish, whenever I add pellets they just sink to the bottom and rot. Anybody know how to get these guys on dry as well? It'd be a lot easier if at least some of my natives ate dry.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Most darters will eat flake carried by current eventually, but not enough to sustain them. Minnows should take flake, though I have no experience with pugnose specifically. Bluefin's are a bit picky as well, I have had them eat flake food, but again, I did not feel like it was enough.

#11 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Ok, I'll just keep feeding frozen to my riffle tank residents then.

Chubs are doing amazing! They're now eating flake and while adding it to the tank I discovered all 4 will readily handfeed! All this in 24 hours after being taken from the wild!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users