Bluenoses at last?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Today I finally found the place where, way back in 1954, the Bluenose Shiner was last recorded here in Covington County.
I've been trying to find Bluenoses in this county for several years, and am about ready to concede that they're long gone, but days like this are why I keep trying.

Today I finally found the spot, and I went down for a look.
I have been very frustrated all week by steams which are way down due to the drought, reduced to stagnant mudholes, and a distressing lack of fish except for little green sunnies which are taking over the whole county. I was happy to see that this headwater was still more or less intact, and even happier to see numerous little fish.

Knowing that Bluenoses spawn in late June-mid July, it occured to me that the fry I was seeing were just the right size.
My first attempt was a success, and I managed to bag a dozen specimens. They were too small for the net and kept falling out, but I was able to see that they weren't Gambusias, and that they had a distinctive purplish sheen. Also in the net were a few baby sunfish of some sort.

WhooHoo! The location is right, the size is right, the color is right, the habitat is right and there are also baby sunnies, which means Bluenoses would have had sunny nests to parasitize last month.

So, I went back to my truck for a big plastic two-gallon water jug i carry around just for such occasions, filled it up with water, and... couldn't see a fish anywhere. I made about 20 attempts with the net, but came up with nothing.
ARRRGH!!
They were spooked and gone.

I'll be going back soon, though..oh, yes...

Edited by Mysteryman, 11 August 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

I hope you're right, that would be good news. It would also be publishable as a short article in a journal such as Southeastern Naturalist.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

What are the other other potential shiners/chubs/dace that might be there, based on range and habitat?

#4 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Aw, you had to go and ask me that and ruin my fun, eh?

Semotilus thoreauianus
Semotilus atomaculatus
Notropis buccatus
Notropis longirostris
Notropis petersoni
Notropis texanus
Hybopsis winchelli
Hybognathus hayi
Lythrurus atrapiculus
Cyprinella venusta

#5 Mysteryman

Mysteryman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

UPDATE:
I had a hard time getting back up there again, but I finally made it. I didn't have any luck with my net at the spot, though. I stopped off at the local store on my way home, and the guy working there said :
"Hey, I remember you. You were the one looking for those little blue nosed fish, right? Well, it turns out that a little ol' girl caught some of them down down by that little bridge about a month or so after you came by. They shore were purty. I never knew minners was anything but silver. Did you ever find any yourself?"

Well, now.. That's great news, if it's true. I'm not yet ready to declare it official, but it looks like the Bluenose might yet still live in Covington County. Absolutely perfect habitat abounds in that area, too; so I'm very inclined to believe it.

#6 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

That is really awesome. In most instances I could never trust an average member of the public to be able to distinguish a lamprey from a shiner, but there sure aren't many fish that fall into that specific "blue-nosed minner" category. I would definitey consider that as promising anecdotal evidence of their persistence. Look forward to finally seeing the confirmation!

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#7 Mysteryman

Mysteryman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:21 AM

Me too!!!
Like most Bluenose holes, it's really a two-man job to sample it. Deep, mucky, hard to get in & out of... I need a partner and a big seine. Actually, the whole upper Yellow River is just begging to be sampled.

It looks like I'll be forced to move up north to Huntsville very soon, though. Rats. There's still a lot of good fish down here to catch. I never did find any of Dick Stober's mysterious Scarlet Sailfins, for example, and I need to find a new spot for Flagfin Shiners now that the green sunfish seem to have wiped out my favorite old standby.
On the plus side, though, there are a lot more species available up there in the Tennessee Valley area, so maybe that can make up for it.

#8 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

oh yeah? then how did that "little ol' girl" catch 'em? maybe you need a fishing lesson from her.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users