Photo

Anyone had any luck winter micro fishing in SE VA/NE NC

21 replies to this topic

#21 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Greenside darters stun like crazy in the winter. They are the only fish I have seen it in consistently. Not even time to freeze to the net, just the cold and stress. Drop them back in the water, and they spiral rigidly to the bottom and are good to go shortly after. I half wonder if it is not a defense when they have been harrassed and cannot move as quickly due to slow metabolism. Playing possom.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#22 mikez

mikez
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

I stunned a tropical butterfly with air cold once, amazed at how quick, just transfer from sea to bucket. Sank right to the bottom and layed motionless. I was convinced it was gone but set the bucket aside for some reason. Came back and saw that although still laying on its side, it hadn't lost color. On a whim, put the bucket in my car and warmed it up, fish was swimming 10 minutes later. Went on to live for years in my cellar only to be killed, ironically, by cold during a prolonged winter power failure.

I have golden shiners totally stunned in my bait bucket in winter - I leave the bucket outside. Sometimes it gets too cold and they sink motionless to the bottom and look dead. They wake up and work fine for bait as long as they don't freeze solid.
Mike Zaborowski
I don't know, maybe it was the roses.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users