catching darters

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_haruspicator_*

Guest_haruspicator_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

ew no thanks. Speaking of carp, My friend has a tiny pond near his house and someone last year threw a bunch of goldfish in it. They made it over the winter and We want to end them. This small pond is covered in them Do you think two guys trapping them during the sumemr could dent the population. Could we realease a smaller species of panfish to thin them out? The pond gets no deeper then 1.5-2feet deep I was thinking green sunfish but what do you guys think?
p.s. We saw a dead one on shore that looked like your typical walmart species of goldfish except it was like 10 inches long O_o. We migh ttake the fishing rods and try to thin those guys out too. We migh throw some random minnows in there too to feed the panfish after the goldfish are thinned out.

I'd throw one pike in there, let it go to town on the goldfish, then fish the pike out when you are ready for minnows. Probably won't phase them trapping. If there is no vegetation, seining would work well!

#22 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

How do you guys get seines at walmart. I looked in the fishing section and couldn't find any. :sad:

#23 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:58 AM

what areas in a stream should I look for for catching darters? I'm totally clueless about them.

#24 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

what areas in a stream should I look for for catching darters? I'm totally clueless about them.

It will depend on the darter and time of year. In general if you are looking for stream darters they will be in the riffles or just upstream or downstream of them, where the water just begins to speed up or slow down. FWIW many of the rainbow darters I have chased seem to run away from me upstream and go against the current. They are still very fast.

#25 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

what size/depth streams should I be looking for. I might go out with a dipnet next time I go visit my grandparents.

I really really want a darter tank.

#26 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

what size/depth streams should I be looking for. I might go out with a dipnet next time I go visit my grandparents.

I really really want a darter tank.

I can find johnny darters in water just over ankle deep water just where the water slows down.

If you want to go collecting with me some time just send a pm my way. I know of this river I want to check out that should have some cool fish in it. (By cool fish I mean rainbow darters and southern readbelly dace :-D )

#27 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

I'd deffinately do that once i can drive. If we stay active on the forum maybe next summer I can drive to pewaukee. How far is it from Sheboygan? I've never heard of it?

BTW I'm mostly itnerested in rainbows/greensides/logperch

But honestly I plan on the tank being a 30 long so I figure it will be able to hold a few darters what would be a good estimate?

We have lots of stones of nice looking rose quarts in a forest near my house. lets say an average stone would be 1" by 1" and reach up to 2" by 2" would these make a good bottom or should I just use graven. (I think it would look good)

#28 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

I'd deffinately do that once i can drive. If we stay active on the forum maybe next summer I can drive to pewaukee. How far is it from Sheboygan? I've never heard of it?

BTW I'm mostly itnerested in rainbows/greensides/logperch

But honestly I plan on the tank being a 30 long so I figure it will be able to hold a few darters what would be a good estimate?

We have lots of stones of nice looking rose quarts in a forest near my house. lets say an average stone would be 1" by 1" and reach up to 2" by 2" would these make a good bottom or should I just use graven. (I think it would look good)

There are lots of S.E. WI members. Pewaukee (fishyz) is due west of Milwaukee, an outer suburb. Woodworth (me) is due south, almost Illinois. JohnPr... is in Milwaukee. BTDarters is Port Washington (?). A collecting/fishing trip of some sort may be arrangable. If you set a time and place, you may get a crowd, you may get no one. I always have a hard time making free time, but if it is convenient, I would come.

Are you sure about that rose quartz? It does not fit my idea of SE WI geology, although the glacial till can have lots of Canadian stuff, diamonds, even. If you have a friendly local HS chemistry teacher, one drop of hydrochloric acid will tell the tale. If it fizzes, then it is NOT good for your tank.

#29 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:59 AM

Yeah If you know anything about sheboygan it's right on the big water. The thing is All of the rose quartz is around a railroad bridge that goes over the pidgeon river. I am probably righ to assume they are an unnatural addition?

EDIT: unless a trip where like 15-20 minutes away from me I'd have to wait until I can drive. No biggie It gives me time to save money for the tank without crushing my funds for a Dean metalman Z bass/ with a big amp. I also want to take boxing lessons which my parents won't pay for. Even with a part time job it adds up. A cheap 10 gallon or something would be nice for a while if I found a spot around here or around where my grandparents live.

#30 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

All of the railroad rock that I am familiar with has been limestone or the like. I am sure that the railroad uses whatever they can get for the cheapest (which may very well be quartz, but it would have to ship from out west somewhere). I suspect that this is some form of marble. Marble and limestone will dissolve and harden your tank water.

#31 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

It basically is a red/white stonelooks like what I've been taugh since elementary oto identify as rosequarts, but I am no expert. I've had like 8 1" by 1"ish stoned in my sunfish tank for months now.

#32 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

Marble does dissolve more slowly than limestone. If you are doing significant water changes, you may be staying ahead of any hardness problems. Try the acid test if you can. HS chemisty teachers love to show off. You may be able to see some fizzing if you put the stone in a glass of plain white venigar for a while, but I have never tried this. And maybe it is quartz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users