Photo

Stocking suggestions for a 30 gallon tank

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 mikez

mikez
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

If you live in Ma, your choices, legally speaking, are limited. See my post about Ma fish keepers being outlaws, I included the official list of bait species that are legal to keep.

From past experience I can vouch for banded sunfish as excellent captives. They don't always show the most color if you don't cater to their needs but are indestructible, reasonably peaceful and will eat standard fare. If you can get 'em legally, do it.

If you live near north central Ma, I can give you all the least killifish you'll ever need. That is, I could give one gravid female which is all you need for a starter colony, but I got plenty to spare.

So where in New England?
Mike Zaborowski
I don't know, maybe it was the roses.

#22 mikez

mikez
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

I should have clarified, your choices of fish NATIVE to Ma are limited. Species not native to the state and not specifically banned are theoretically legal.
Mike Zaborowski
I don't know, maybe it was the roses.

#23 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

I believe it was Erica.
She had amazing pictures and videos of the most beautiful Elassoma gilberti.
I have since read that they only live for about a year, so I would have to get a breeding pair or two, or even three, to keep the tank going. I'm not sure I would want to do that, especially right from the start.
My goldies and tropical tanks are doing great. There's just something a bit more intimidating about a native tank.

While I think about it, I've chosen two from my list that I know I want; the Rainbow Darters and the Banded Sunfish.
How many of each should I get and what does that narrow my last choice(s) to?

Edited by Beeker, 17 January 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#24 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

If you had 3 darters and 3 bandeds, then you could add a group (your choice) of some Fundulus topminnows (I see you had a couple in your list). Maybe something like two pair... one of each of the species you listed.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#25 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

Native fish are as easy as goldfish, with a bit less poop.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#26 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

If you had 3 darters and 3 bandeds, then you could add a group (your choice) of some Fundulus topminnows (I see you had a couple in your list). Maybe something like two pair... one of each of the species you listed.

That sounds good. I was thinking that the minnows would prefer to be kept in more than a pair each. If they will be content with just one friend each, that would make it easier. What do you think of Josh's recommendation about the shiners?

Native fish are as easy as goldfish, with a bit less poop.

I'm relieved to hear that.

Edited by Beeker, 18 January 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#27 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

How many Banded Sunfish can I keep in a 30 gallon tank?

Also, would various darters be good tankmates with them?

Would shiners be good tankmates with the darters?

I've been doing a lot of reading and am getting ready for spring.

What are your thoughts?

If I can't mix these three, I'll just do a mixed Darter tank.

#28 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

Shiners and darters mix fine. You just have to manage the "pig" nature of most shiners to make sure the darters get fed. For example, you can float flake food on the surface and while the shiners are dashing around everywhere, dump in some thawed frozen food that will get down to the darters.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users