Photo

Preventative Treatment

29 replies to this topic

#21 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

What's your light level? Have you tested your water parameters?

Define silt? When I hear silt, I think of the muck on the river bottom... that shouldn't be possible in an aquarium. Do you mean mulm? Like fish poop and the like?

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#22 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

6 hours a day of tank lights and I leave the window in the room open (well, the blind is up so the light comes in) 24/7/365 so the natives in the room can get a natural daylight cycle and see the seasons change. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 30. I change water 2-3 times a week anywhere from 33-90% each change. Stock is 6 female swordtails and 6 Corydoras (5 paleatus and 1 aeneus). It looks like silt that's disturbed and it's constantly floating in the water column along with dead plant leaves.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#23 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

Back to the original purpose and tank of this thread, went out collecting with 2 traps for 2 hours today but once again, not a fish to be caught. Only fish I even saw were about 8-10 small Rhinichthys in some plants. Next time I head out it should be warm enough for me to dawn my waders and start seining again.

#24 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

Whatever that is, its probably the cause of the algae outbreak. High organic content, whether on the substrate or in the filter, will bring on BGA. Just gotta focus on keeping the tank real clean. A blackout will kill it all, but if the tank doesn't stay clean, you'll be fighting it forever.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#25 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

Whatever that is, its probably the cause of the algae outbreak. High organic content, whether on the substrate or in the filter, will bring on BGA. Just gotta focus on keeping the tank real clean. A blackout will kill it all, but if the tank doesn't stay clean, you'll be fighting it forever.

Different tank. Algae outbreak is in my 20 tall with my minnows and dace. Silt is in my 15 with my Corys and swordtails.

#26 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Test your water. I bet you have off the chart Ph. Always caused me much diotomaceous algae. I am certain it could cause other things.

Just making an observation Strat Guy. Nothing to really lay your hands into, just something I noticed.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#27 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

You can settle silt with alum, then immediately buffered with hydrated lime. Alum can be sourced at the grocery store it is for pickling. Not sure how you would source hydrated lime in small quantities. I used both in my pond, and it made a big difference. Not enough, I should have added twice as much. It is a flocculant. Read about it if for no other reason than it is interesting.

#28 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

Test your water. I bet you have off the chart Ph. Always caused me much diotomaceous algae. I am certain it could cause other things.Just making an observation Strat Guy. Nothing to really lay your hands into, just something I noticed.

Just tested it. 7.5-7.6.

#29 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

That is not bad at all. I imagined yours would be very similar to mine.

#30 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

Could you be dealing with some sort of bacterial bloom rather than actual silt? Cloudy water bacteria blooms don't seem to harm fish, but they do look like somebody stirred flour or such into the tank.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users