• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 QuoVadis

QuoVadis
  • NANFA Guest
  • WI

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

So I was wanting to get some thoughts on an idea I have been thinking of for my darters. Right now I only have a blackside, fantail, and a blacknose dace, along with a mudminnow, some small Dollar and Longear sunfish (the latter two species purchased from Jonahs aquarium). They are in a 40g breeder with some fancy goldfish (temporarily), but I will be moving the GF to their own tank and moving this tank to a new location.

I will either continue to use this tank or I'll use a 38g I have (same length but 12in wide instead of 18 like the breeder, and taller). The sunfish most likely won't stay in there forever, but Id like to add some Redside dace, a logperch, and some banded, rainbow, and Johnny darters. Maybe a Central stoneroller if I can find one.

Right now I am using a hang on the back filter, but I am unhappy with the flow rate, however last year I had a normal powerhead in there for more flow and I think the heat of it (probably in combo with low O2), caused me to lose a few fish. I did have them in a smaller tank then though - a 29g. So I cm considering going to using a large sponge filter, in combination with one of these (http://www.amazon.co...words=powerhead).

I use these in other tanks and love that they are cheap, work great, and use few watts, but I am wondering if it will get too hot. Since my other tanks are tropical I really don't know how much heat they put off, but I would guess a lot less than the traditional powerhead. The basement my fish are in should never get above 75F, even in summer, maybe more like 70F. Think this would work well?

Thanks!

Edited by QuoVadis, 18 April 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

yes that will work.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Should be fine. I have a similar one in my darter tank. Good luck!

Here's mine (turned off at the moment).

Attached Files

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:37 AM

My fish like those things. The more robust darters will perch on it while it runs to pick off the food that is being pulled through it from the back at chow time. Notropis and Cyprinella will position in front of it to pick off food (especially pulverized flake) and the bluehead chubs every once in a while seem to think it's a fishy treadmill- they'll get their nose right up in the strongest current and just swim there, stationary, for a while.

I haven't noticed any issues with them giving off heat.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users