Photo

What are your thoughts on Common Carp in America?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#41 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

I think mushrooms taste nasty,  :-#  but many people love to eat them.  I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

I'll stick to killing and eating delicious Potomac snakeheads!  As for carp, never tried it...no opinion.  I'm open to try it and reserve my judgment for that experience.  But, if there are mushrooms in the recipe, you already know my opinion!  =;

Kevin Wilson

#42 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

We ate fresh picked chanterelles last night ,oh and black trumpets. Awesome. With all this rain, there are tons of them right now. Very different taste than what you are used to. Google them, and their look alikes. The jack o lantern is one, which is poisonous, but distinct in that the chanterelle does not have true gills but the Jack o lantern does. Take a walk in the woods you may find that you actually do like mushrooms..

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#43 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

I have never met a person who likes to catch and eat fish be so turned off by carp. Most just say, "blah, won't waste my time on it again". But apparently you tried and tried and still hate them. Could it have anything to do with your personal prejudice against the fish? My wife would not eat any fish for years because she was grossed out by it. I slowly got her to try fish that was very mild, and now she will eat almost anything. Getting her past that initial disgust was hard.

#44 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

Actually Matt, it's the texture of mushrooms more than the taste that gets to me.  I can tolerate them if they're buried in a sauce or in a very cheesy pizza.  I used to joke with my fishing friends who ate them that they're akin to eating grubs.  Ironically, every now and then I'll talk myself into just trying them again, and each time they just gross me out.  On Saturday, at a relatives 7/4 cookout, they grilled portobello mushrooms and I tried one.  I took a bite and you're right, it tasted pretty good, but that texture almost made me barf.  Reflexive...ugh...grubs...a fungus among us.

Kevin Wilson

#45 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

I get that. Textures can gross me out a bit. Yellow squash and zucchini are just fine with me, but those winter squash creep me out. I honestly can't say I do not like the taste, as I cant get past the texture.

#46 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

Some people have their mind made up before they even try things...

Or after they tried things. I tried it and didn't like it.

#47 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

OK, I'm done with a culinary discussion of a non native fish that has become a simple "yes-no".

Lock unless another mod wants to unlock.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users